Draughts/Checkers Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Draughts/Checkers

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:16 pm

Inspired by my recent chess triumphs, I've been inspired to seek out an online draughts/checkers game - and I have found one. Excited

https://cardgames.io/checkers/

Except I'm rubbish at it. I'm so used to playing chess that I can't remember how to even play draughts anymore. It keeps murdering me. rant

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:17 pm

This thread is where we can discuss the game that's now proven to be harder than chess.

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:33 pm

I've just lost again! Why is it so difficult? killcomputer

Nightjar

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:38 pm

Despite being brilliant with my hands and being beyond brainy I am almost universally terrible at board games of any sort.

Chess, draughts, backgammon, you name it.

Cards.

Video games too.

And I'm really sh*t at sports.

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:40 pm

I wasn't all that good at RPGs either.

I was very very good as a DM or a Keeper (of Arcane Lore), because it involved writing my own stories/scenarios and 'telling' them in weird and wonderful ways, but as a player...

Not so much.

cosmictanya

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Is draughts the one that old men, fingering their worry beads between turns, used to play outside pubs?
Back to top Go down

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:43 pm

Isn't that dominos?

dunno

Last edited by WhatDoesThisButtonDo? on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Eh?

Draughts is played on a chess board with flat discs of white and black.

It's like chess for idiots.

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:45 pm

WhatDoesThisButtonDo? wrote:
Isn't that domino's?

Dominoes is what old black gents play and smash the table in half when they slam down the winning donimo.

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:46 pm

I seem to recall some people getting murdered in Harlesden over a game of dominoes a decade or so ago. sad yes

cosmictanya

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Despite being brilliant with my hands and being beyond brainy I am almost universally terrible at board games of any sort.

Chess, draughts, backgammon, you name it.

Cards.

Video games too.

And I'm really sh*t at sports.

I'm the opposite. Despite having next to no interest, I almost always win. I even came second (out of a couple of hundred) in a compulsory cross country race, despite stopping to have a fag and a rest on a bench at roughly the halfway point. I think that remains my proudest physical achievement.

In the opinion of others, I'm also a natural in defence positions in hockey and football. I put that down to my overwhelming feelings of absolute rage that anyone should attempt to take advantage of me - amplified if they have the nerve to do so literally in front of me. I've never really seen the point of team sports.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm

Maybe it is dominos. I wonder where my antique Indian ivory dominos are. They were very beautiful. A reverse of the usual black with white dots.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 6:54 pm

cosmictanya wrote:
I'm the opposite.

So, you're saying that you're an ham-fisted thicko? hmn

cosmictanya

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Exactly. I think the greatest curse of my life has been the need to develop unnatural abilities and a reserve of cynicism. I'd be so much happier as the thick optimist I know myself to be at heart.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 pm

But surely that's why you went to Bristol? hmm

cosmictanya

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 7:18 pm

I went because I like the city, and its close to my beloved Bath. They both have such gentle atmospheres and lovely honey buildings.

It also had a very high percentage of privately educated people so I presumed a lucrative divorce would be easy enough to achieve.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 7:20 pm

I was always under the impression that Brizzle and various art schools were where ladies of a certain intellectual capacity went.

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 7:22 pm

Or, all the really poshest universities.

Studying History of Art or Classics.

Nightjar

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 7:23 pm

Graduation day is like the latter-day version of the debutant's c*ming out ceremony.

cosmictanya

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers EmptyThu Apr 09, 2020 7:35 pm

Oh the Oxbridge failures you mean. I didn't consider them, and due to my (vindicated) belief that GCSE's and mock exams were a waste of energy and only worth getting up for if it wasn't raining, I doubt they'd have been impressed with my attitude anyway. 

Had I been applying this year, I'd have been absolutely f***ed if I was reliant on past performance prediction. I might've had to go to Luton or something.

Far better to concentrate on the actual exams and then off to explore the Middle East and it's pre 9/11 delights, courtesy of the cash a friend left me when she died. I applied during that year. They were confused when I matriculated because I'd somehow entered the UCAS code for being Afro Caribbean.

I miss the little flat in Rome I had for a few months on the way back, near Termini station, overlooking a back courtyard, just across from a very noisy domestic violence household. I spent the first night there in tears, exhausted and sleepless. Then I loved it completely and have never stopped.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Draughts/Checkers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Draughts/Checkers   Draughts/Checkers Empty

Back to top Go down

Draughts/Checkers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The New Hall of the Wendigo :: Arts and Entertainment :: The Play Pen-
Jump to: