Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of

Go down 
+2
Butterfield
Fangirl Three
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Empty
PostSubject: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 8:03 am

I was boasting in another thread about knowing every inch of the A12 between two local places. I thought I'd share one or two bits of it with you. And then of some other roads that I know every inch of.

This bit is annoying, there's always someone waiting to come out from the side road and slow you down. So you have to judge between going fast enough to make sure there  isn't a gap for them to fit into, but not so fast that you crash into them if they try anyway.

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 8:06 am

Here there's such a sharp bend on the main carriageway that they've had to change the sign so it's got a bendy tip.

Bonus points if you spot someone who thinks they can get onto the A12 here, and they come over the bridge and stop sharp in the loop that goes to the hotel.

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 8:10 am

Another ultra-dangerous junction. See where it says 'The Matchyns'? That isn't there now because someone misjudged the bend and crashed into the brick wall, demolishing it.

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 1:51 am

I thought that bendy road sign was camera distortion!
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 3:17 pm

On the opposite carriageway from that last picture

I find the 1-2-3 mileages there very pleasing.

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 pm

Brompton Road, from Thurloe Place to Scotch Corner. Not only could I drive or walk it blindfold and go precisely where I was going, I could probably name every single shop, cafe, restaurant, and bank that's ever been there during my life - right down to the exact premises they occupied. Some of my ashes are to be scattered there, in high summer, into heavy traffic, on a busy Saturday afternoon. After they've been perfumed.

Motorways - one is much like another. The beauty is that, barring knowledge of likely local choke points or particular bends that are sharper than they might be, you don't need to know them. In general I have a very decent sense of direction. I've never used a sat nav. I don't even tend to get lost in places I've never been before. It's my great inbuilt talent. I am impatient with people who don't have it. My mother doesn't have it.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 6:13 pm

Ironically, having posted all those A12 photos I haven't been along that road for a month, and won't be going that way again for another 2 weeks.

Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySat Jul 30, 2022 5:39 pm

I drove along the A12 on Wednesday and DIDN'T get caught in a traffic jam, however the M23 and M25.......
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySat Jul 30, 2022 6:27 pm

Why would anyone go near the M23 in the middle of summer? Finding it too busy for sanity is like going to Siberia in January and saying 'it was cold'.
Back to top Go down
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySun Jul 31, 2022 10:23 am

cosmictanya wrote:
Why would anyone go near the M23 in the middle of summer? Finding it too busy for sanity is like going to Siberia in January and saying 'it was cold'.

Gatwick, after getting off an 11hr "No Sleep" flight.

At least I could have a doze in the traffic.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySun Jul 31, 2022 3:04 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
cosmictanya wrote:

Gatwick, after getting off an 11hr "No Sleep" flight.

At least I could have a doze in the traffic.

Even less sympathy for you now! Book a car with a driver to take you door to door - after (or before) a long haul flight, it's money well spent. Or take a leaf out of Jimmy Savile's book and let the train take the strain.
Back to top Go down
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySun Jul 31, 2022 6:30 pm

The train is out of the question, 3 big suitcases, 3 heavy cabin bags and a wheelchair for my youngest....don't get me started if all 5 of us go!
I do book the valet parking though, it's nice to have someone waiting with your car as you leave the terminal.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySun Jul 31, 2022 7:56 pm

I can't think of anything more stressful than having to drive after a flight. That would mean no wine with the meal/s. No whisky to start a nap. No nothing. Just the knowledge that you have no choice but to be straight and fully rested the moment you land. That whole vibe would be like the night before a big meeting.
Back to top Go down
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pm

I got a couple of bottles of Wine as soon as possible thinking it will send me to sleep,but..
No.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptySun Jul 31, 2022 8:30 pm

Where were you? Did you all have a good time?
Back to top Go down
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 3:30 pm

cosmictanya wrote:
Where were you? Did you all have a good time?

Tobago, Coco Reef Hotel

I know the roads there pretty well now as we hired a car and explored also had a cheeky look inside a lot of the other Hotels, I reckon you would like the Blue Waters Inn...... I would be a pretty good tour guide for Tobago after all that.
That's not the car I hired!!
Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Tob310
Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Tob210
Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Tob110

Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 4:07 pm

Looks ghastly.

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 4:35 pm

Kind of off-topic Colbert

Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 pm

But,but it's rude not to answer a question...

Sorry. Picard
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 pm

hug

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of   Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Empty

Back to top Go down

Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next