Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of

4 posters

Go down

Poll uestion

Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_lcap0%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_lcap33%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_lcap17%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_lcap17%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_lcap0%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_lcap33%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Empty Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:49 am

I had to look up what 'Mary Sue' meant. Yes, that may have been The Last Jedi related.  and?

I'm still not sure what 'Cookie Cutter' means, and I'm too lazy to look it up. ohrly

Last edited by Steviebaby on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Empty Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:52 am

Oh, and 'Red Pill'. I think it's something to do with the Matrix, but again, whatever

Back to top Go down

Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Empty Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of

Post by Fangirl Three Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:40 am

I accidentally put 'yo' on the end of a sentence the other day. I'd been watching Breaking Bad.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:36 am

A friend and I were having a heated debate about the true meaning of the expression 'the exception that proves the rule' a while ago.

Her understanding of it was completely different from mine. stare

And wrong. smug

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:31 pm

You didn't get err.. anywhere that night did you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm

All water under the bridge...

Back to top Go down

Post by flibbington2.0 Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:00 am

Chance would be a fine thing.

This makes no sense to me. I've tried. But it doesn't add up. And I know it can't be because I'm late to the party on this whole English language thing, surely this makes sense to no one else as well.
flibbington2.0
flibbington2.0

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 am

It means like 'No, I haven't done that nice thing you mentioned, even getting the chance to do it would be a fine thing.'
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Steviebaby wrote:I'm still not sure what 'Cookie Cutter' means, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

I've heard Americans refer to houses as "cookie cutter homes" (said in a very American accent), to describe houses that all look the same.

ie. a house that ISN'T a cookie cutter home is to be lauded.

That said, the term probably has several other meanings, some that are dodgy that I'm not aware of.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:53 pm

'Cookie cutter' means all the same, just like cookies which have all been cut out from the dough with the same cutter (those serrated metal rings that your mum uses to cut mince pie tops out of pastry with).

Back to top Go down

Post by flibbington2.0 Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:It means like 'No, I haven't done that nice thing you mentioned, even getting the chance to do it would be a fine thing.'
Now it makes perfect sense. Thank you! I still find the phrase annoying but at least I can understand now.
flibbington2.0
flibbington2.0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 am

The term 'Gaslighting' seems to be popping up lately.

dunno

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 am

If you all started flaming me and calling me a saddo stampophile, and I complained of this treatment, and you all said 'It's only a bit of fun, and stamp-lovers deserve to be mocked, and we never did it anyway' you would all be gaslighting me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am

hmm Sounds like that could be a laff, sad yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 pm

bawl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Ah, come on, it's only a bit of fun. And I didn't say it anyway.

shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down