Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Bat chain or bat sh*t?
★★★★★
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
★★★★☆
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Vote_lcap50%Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
★★★☆☆
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Vote_lcap50%Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
★★☆☆☆
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
★☆☆☆☆
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
Nightjar

Nightjar

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 11:23 am

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
From the title, I'm going to guess this is about Alex Harvey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_St._Clair

Also:

Quote :
The song "Bat Chain Puller" was based upon the rhythm of the windshield wipers on Vliet's Volvo car.

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:12 pm

The last two are really good, this one was good, at least that's how I remember it.

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:35 pm

And they released Bat Chain Puller as well. dunno

I was always going to do that one as I've not heard it, but too late now.

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:38 pm

type

"81 Poop Hatch"

type

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:39 pm

Did he always sound that err, camp?

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:42 pm

BCP was a posthumous release.

I think it was a mish-mash of stuff from all of the three last albums but was supposed to be released in 1976.

Bickering between Zappa and the record company though... roll eyes

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:45 pm

Yeah, Frank really shafted him didn't he.

I mean have you heard Bongo fury?

ha ha no

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:49 pm

type

Robert Christgau declared Shiny Beast to be better than all Van Vliet's previous albums, writing, "Without any loss of angularity or thickness, the new compositions achieve a flow worthy of Weill or Monk or Robert Johnson, and his lyrics aren't as willful as they used to be."[5]

BINGO!

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:50 pm

I have.

I used to like it. shifty

It's not gr8 on reflection though.

The best Zappa song on it is "Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy" and the best thing on the whole album is Beefheart's "Man With the Woman Head".

Debra Kadabra's OK too.

Muffin Man's a bit too silly for its own good - perhaps raises a smirk, but the playing's pretty good.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 17, 2023 12:57 pm

Also, the use of the wilfully mispronounced "p**fter" is hard to pretend isn't funny.

Especially when Beefheart says it.

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 19, 2023 8:03 pm

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff wrote:
I'm getting this confused with his next album which is in my to listen too pile.

Or was it the one after that?

I listened to it, the next one that is, it was GR8. ★★★★★

You might think this is the finest pearl
But it's only cardboard balls

PostSubject: Re: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)   Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978) - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6