Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Tales from the Food Bank

Go down 
+3
Fangirl Three
The Call of the Wendigo
Nightjar
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nightjar

Nightjar

Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm going to sue the food bank for mentholating my b******s.

I'll make sure they never give out much needed food and supplies to the needy and destitute ever again.

That'll teach them to make my k******s feel like two half-s*cked Fisherman's Friends. Colbert

Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 pm

pet

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 pm

Nightjar wrote:
I got some nice shower gel the other day.

Original Source mint and tea tree oil. aristojar

Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 Mint-tea-tree250ml_1.1528358793

However, it made my eyes sting from the vapour and my ***** and ***** went all **** and ******. bawl

Is 1996 now considered an old enough establishment year to brag about? Back in my day it was the 1800s that companies were proud to have been established in. I feel old!
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 pm

dance

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Wow. Original Mint Source. That's a blast from the past. Many years ago my flatmate had that. I used it once and once only. The burning felt cold rather than hot.

My brother told me that germaloid cream with added lidocaine had a nice internal numbing. I tried some of his and he was correct. Got myself my own tube.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 12:25 am

This thread was in my recommended list as I read the 'what's in your eyeballs this bank holiday' thread.

When food bank donation points first became something that supermarkets started to make room for, my local Sainsbury's didn't have a sign up to explain that it was a charity collection.

I saw all this food in a large container, and was busily raking through, throwing things back in, sticking the odd can in my bag etc, when a member of staff sidled up to point out it wasn't actually a 'help yourself' section.

I thought it was just a receptacle for people to discard their accidental purchases in, and for others to have a look through to see if anything there appealed.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 7:54 am

Reading page 1 of this thread has made me really want some roasted Waitrose tinned potatoes.

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 9:16 am

cosmictanya wrote:
This thread was in my recommended list as I read the 'what's in your eyeballs this bank holiday' thread.

When food bank donation points first became something that supermarkets started to make room for, my local Sainsbury's didn't have a sign up to explain that it was a charity collection.

I saw all this food in a large container, and was busily raking through, throwing things back in, sticking the odd can in my bag etc, when a member of staff sidled up to point out it wasn't actually a 'help yourself' section.

I thought it was just a receptacle for people to discard their accidental purchases in, and for others to have a look through to see if anything there appealed.

Tee Hee

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2022 3:39 pm

I'm getting a mental picture of the episode of To The Manor Born where Audrey had to go to the NHS doctor's surgery.

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2022 4:24 pm

I have found another use for tinned potatoes.

It being a hot day I bought a 1-person quiche for my lunch, and was wondering what to have with it as well as little tomatoes and olives. Then it struck me that some well-drained new potatoes would be a delicious accompaniment, so I bought a tin of same for 50p, and indeed they were.

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2022 4:24 pm

(I'm still living in hotels, so I couldn't cook potatoes like I would've in the Before Time.)

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2022 5:07 pm

Does your room not have a microwave? Potatoes do very well in a microwave. Give them a good stabbing to let the air escape. Put them in a microwaveable bowl with a cover on and do them for around 10-11 minutes at 800 watts. You don't even need to add water to the bowl, the potatoes cook in their own internal moisture.

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2022 12:06 am

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
Does your room not have a microwave? Potatoes do very well in a microwave. Give them a good stabbing to let the air escape. Put them in a microwaveable bowl with a cover on and do them for around 10-11 minutes at 800 watts. You don't even need to add water to the bowl, the potatoes cook in their own internal moisture.

Hotel rooms with microwaves?

I actually didn't realise there was any other way to cook potatoes other than in the microwave. I don't bother with bowls - I just stab a fork (or knife) in two or three times, throw it in, press 10 or 11 minutes (we agree there), and come back to collect it when it's done. Just call me Nigella.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2022 7:19 am

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
Does your room not have a microwave?

That's more of an American thing. US hotel rooms have much more functionality in the 'premium budget' price range which I inhabit. There are one or two mid-price 'suite' offerings here in Britain, but only in big cities.

I do have a microwave in my (powered) storage container which I often used during the winter to heat up curries etc. The problem with that is that there's nowhere to wash up. I was reduced to wiping off the plates with newspaper which I surreptitiously disposed of in a litter bin across the road from the storage place, and then wrapping them up with more newspaper and smuggling them back to the hotel to be given a final rinse in the bath.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tales from the Food Bank   Tales from the Food Bank - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tales from the Food Bank
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2