What temperature is it where you are? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

What temperature is it where you are?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

What temperature is it where you are? Empty
PostSubject: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 5:43 pm

I've installed a thermometer app on my phone. It is 20 degrees in this room.

My thermostat is set at 16 degrees. I have gained 4 degrees from somewhere. Excited

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 6:26 pm

It is now 22 degrees. I have gained 6 degrees from somewhere. box

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 6:38 pm

It is 19.9 C in this room according to my digital room thermometer.

It has an outside probe too. It's 8.9 C outside.

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 7:36 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
I've installed a thermometer app on my phone. It is 20 degrees in this room.

My thermostat is set at 16 degrees. I have gained 4 degrees from somewhere. Excited

But how does the app know what temperature it is in your room? Does your phone have a built-in thermometer reader device?
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 7:38 pm

I don't have a clue how it knows but the phone only cost £25, so it's not a fancy one. dunno

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 pm

£25?

Luxury.
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 pm

I don't have a clue how it knows but the phone only cost £25, so it's not a fancy one. dunno

Then I don't think it can possibly be giving you the actual temperature of your room, whatever the app is. It would surely need to have a sensor built into it. Apps are clever things, but they can't suddenly transform your phone into a thermometer as far as I'm aware.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Don't phones have thermometer sensors though? They've got all kinds of other gadgets - accelerometers for example. My mobile phone can tell when I've picked it up, and it helpfully gives a brief display of the time in case I picked it up because I need to know what time it is.

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm

My iPhone (on older model bought second hand in 2016) doesn't have a thermometer. I did once search for such an app but it appears any info like that is from central weather stations and not the phone itself.
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 9:13 pm

How does the central weather station know what temperature it is in my house? dunno

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 9:19 pm

gaah
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm

How does the central weather station know what temperature it is in my house? dunno

Yes, the phone could know where you are, if you've got GPS turned on, but it would report an outdoor temperature from the weather station. I doubt very much if it's 22 C outside in Wendifield this evening.

In other news, it's now 20.7 C here in my computer room, and 8.8 C outside (where it's raining btw).
Back to top Go down
http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 am

I think I've worked out how it works. It seems that every phone has a sensor that tells it how hot the battery is, in case it starts to overheat. I would assume that, when the phone's not in use, the battery settles down to room temperature and the battery temperature tells the app what temperature the room is.

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 am

It is currently 19 degrees C.

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 10:03 am

It's 22 C in our office.

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm

I think I've worked out how it works. It seems that every phone has a sensor that tells it how hot the battery is, in case it starts to overheat. I would assume that, when the phone's not in use, the battery settles down to room temperature and the battery temperature tells the app what temperature the room is.

A bit dubious, but then I have no other explanation. Whatever it is it doesn't seem an accurate reading and it could in theory simply be guessing room temperatures. poke
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 1:46 pm

type

some randomer wrote:

The iPhone has a temperature sensor that blocks down all the functions in the iPhone once it reaches a temperature higher than 45 degrees. ... It has a temperature sensor which it uses to detect overheat. The phone will cease operation until the device cools down. The sensor is not otherwise available to applications.

Don't know about Haemorrhoids Android devices dunno
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm

I don't think Wendi realised what debate it would cause upon launching this thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 pm

type

type

https://thermometer.en.softonic.com/android

Quote :

Measure the Temperature Wherever You Go
Thermometer is a free app for Android devices that measures the ambient temperature in any given space. Whether indoors or outdoors, Thermometer can measure the temperature wherever you go on a Celsius or Fahrenheit scale and display it in a number of ways. From the classic thermometer look to a digital or analog style, it?s accurate for any phone with an ambient temperature sensor. For phones without this sensor, the temperature displayed will be that of the phone itself and likely warmer than the actual ambient temperature due to heat from the battery. In this case, launching the app immediately after starting your phone will give you the best reading possible.

I think we now have the answer, it's 6°C higher then the ambient temperature inside Wendykin's battery. yes

The battery on her phone shifty
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Quote :
launching the app immediately after starting your phone will give you the best reading possible.

Considering most people keep their phones on all of the time this isn't very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What temperature is it where you are?   What temperature is it where you are? Empty

Back to top Go down

What temperature is it where you are?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next