How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

How do you pronounce, "Scone?"

Go down 
+2
Butterfield
The Call of the Wendigo
6 posters

?
Skoan
How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Vote_lcap67%How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Vote_rcap
 67% [ 4 ]
Skonn
How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Vote_lcap33%How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Skonnie
How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Vote_lcap0%How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Skoe-Nay
How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Vote_lcap0%How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Shown
 0% [ 0 ]
Shonn
 0% [ 0 ]
Skoon
 0% [ 0 ]
Shoon
 0% [ 0 ]
Soon
 0% [ 0 ]
Something else altogether
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Empty
PostSubject: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyThu 16 Jan 2020 - 19:02

It's the argument that has caused wars and can instantly tell you if someone's a wrong 'un. And that's how to pronounce the name of that tasty treat without which no tea would be complete.

Here's where you can have your say, and instantly mark yourself out as a wrong 'un.

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyThu 16 Jan 2020 - 19:03

I pronounce it, "Skoan." box

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyThu 16 Jan 2020 - 19:07

Wikipedia wrote:
..scone may derive from the Middle Dutch schoonbrood, or from the Scots Gaelic term sgonn. The Middle Low German term schöne may also have played a role in the origination of this word. The word may also be based on the town of Scone in Scotland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone

No wonder there's confusion. dontpanic

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyThu 16 Jan 2020 - 19:25

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
I pronounce it, "Skoan." box

That's interesting. I always though anyone from further north than where I live pronounced it "Skonn". I say "Skoan", but only because that's what my family always called them; other people I know from my area say "Skonn".
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyThu 16 Jan 2020 - 20:09

'skoan', or in India Pale Ale transcription, /skəʊn/

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyThu 16 Jan 2020 - 20:43

Scone, as in the pronunciation of 'on'. Not being Hyacinth Bucket I couldn't seriously attempt the 'own' pronunciation. Skon it is, and ever shall be.

I also say garage as garridge like marriage, instead of garaaaahge as in N*gel F*rage.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyThu 16 Jan 2020 - 20:56

I pronounce garage in the same way that you do, and I always pronounce NF's name as Farridge to rhyme with it.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyFri 17 Jan 2020 - 10:17

It's strange that after many years of being mocked for pronouncing scone "skoan", I suddenly find myself in a forum with many other 'Skoaners'.

I think I get my pronunciation of scone from my Irish Granny, who may or may not have thought it posh on finding herself married to an RAF officer in K*nt after The War.

Although perhaps "skoan" is how they say it in the bogs of County Limerick? dunno

As for "garage", I think I say it "gah-rarge".

Not "g'rahhj", but rather a kind of inelegant suburban London version of the word.

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyFri 17 Jan 2020 - 16:05

Sorry for the delay - I was skoafing skoans. I can't believe I'm the only one who says skon correctly. I half expect to find out that these skoans are served on lace effect paper doilies and the crumbs wiped up with 'serviettes'.

In my experience Irishness will out. My grandmother, despite being born here (and having had extensive elocution to rid herself of what must've been a normal working class accent), always pronounced film as fillum.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptySat 6 Jun 2020 - 21:23

I wonder why Americans think Angela Lansbury sounds English? To me she sounds like one of them. She's just pronounced charade as charAID on 5USA there.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptySat 6 Jun 2020 - 22:03

cosmictanya wrote:
In my experience Irishness will out. My grandmother, despite being born here (and having had extensive elocution to rid herself of what must've been a normal working class accent), always pronounced film as fillum.

I was once friends with a delightful German lady who had moved to Britain, and she had clearly learnt English from someone Irish, because she said 'fillum' too, and she pronounced 'old' as 'owld', just like in Juno and the Paycock.

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptySat 6 Jun 2020 - 22:15

On one of those holidays in locations suitable for toddlers, a la Madeleine McCann, I found myself sharing an outdoor terrace with a charming couple from Leipzig. After a few days of conversations, she told me she was looking to teach geography in West Yorkshire.

I said, how very strange but good luck to you, your English is already quite reasonable so with a little more effort I'm sure you'll get it up to standard in no time at all. It turned out they were from Leeds and had no links with Germany at all. I knew I'd heard an L and a Z in there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyMon 8 Jun 2020 - 23:32

Since when was almond pronounced the way it's spelt? I think it's aaahhhmnd.
Back to top Go down
stedorlordendel

stedorlordendel

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" EmptyFri 5 Apr 2024 - 0:34

Skonne for me, though everyone over here says Skoan.
Everyone over here says yogurt as if they're about say yo-yo. They are wrong about that too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you pronounce, "Scone?"   How do you pronounce, "Scone?" Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you pronounce, "Scone?"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The New Hall of the Wendigo :: Other Stuff :: The Food Hall-
Jump to: