Painting and decorating - Page 6 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Painting and decorating

Go down 
+3
Nightjar
The Call of the Wendigo
Fangirl Three
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

Painting and decorating - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 23, 2022 11:12 pm

Ahh good point. My grandmother had a porch that was fully surrounded by floor to ceiling glass windows into the hallway - a 60's/70's modernist style house.

It was trouble free until a winters morning in the 1980's when the postman slipped on ice and went headfirst through one of the window panes, and hand first through the pane next to that one. I think at least one artery was involved, but he was very understanding when released from hospital - everyone loved my grandparents.

By then safety had asserted itself over design principles, and the entire thing was paneled to waist height. Obviously a new carpet had to go down too.

I recall being upset. I loved the open effect of all that glass looking onto the formal front garden, the lawn of which was always mowed in stripes to please me.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 7:13 pm

Changing the kitchen cabinet door handles. All going easy with a screwdriver until the second last drawer. I need pliers to hold the still attached fixed part in place, due to how the rest of the handle just broke off. The screwdriver is just going round and round with no resistance to work against now. I don't have pliers, or the temperament. It was all going so well. Too well.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 7:20 pm

I wonder of my sons school has a vice. They must have tools in their craft and design tech room. I'll text him, without saying anything about him taking a kitchen cupboard drawer to school. If so, he can take it in for me.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 7:24 pm

'Why?'. Well that's not an answer.

I'm sending back 'Just wondered - was watching something on television and wondered if you'd ever used one, I have'.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 7:27 pm

Ah. He says if it's what he thinks it is, there is one and he's used it. Good. He'll be taking a kitchen drawer to school.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 8:01 pm

Do you have a claw hammer?

I do.

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 7:11 am

Would it not be easier just to send CT's son out to buy some pliers.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 7:59 am

Fangirl Three wrote:
Would it not be easier just to send Chaka Demus out to buy some Pliers.

yes

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 9:55 am

Fangirl Three wrote:
Would it not be easier just to send CT's son out to buy some pliers.

Yes, that would be far more logical. It never occured to me.

I'm not sure I want a pair of single use pliers hanging around.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 12:49 pm

Pliers aren't single-use.

You can use them many many many times.

And they're relatively small (somewhere between the size of a washing machine and a speck of dust), so they can be easily stored out of sight.

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 2:22 pm

Pliers are pretty useful. I have a mini-multitool incorporating plier functionality, and it's saved my bacon several times in hotel rooms. Like when the plug wouldn't come out of the bath once.

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 4:09 pm

Well I've had to buy a pair from Amazon, due to his point blank refusal to cooperate. Doing a favour for his mother would've been embarrassing, apparently - and that's the polite version.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2023 8:03 pm

Well I certainly won’t be listening to Nightjar and Fangirl in the future. Easier to just buy your own. I’ve been waiting in all afternoon, and they did deliver - only they got the buzzer wrong so they went away again, having also rung me from outside on the phone for not long enough for me to answer, and now I’ve had to cancel a dinner reservation so they can return, which I’m promised will be any time until 10pm. Even this was only achieved after an odyssey through the different departments until someone took some kind of responsibility. Meanwhile, the contents of the drawer and the drawer itself remain all over the worktop surface. Just buy your own indeed.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2023 8:15 pm

Hmm, I was actually thinking earlier on (I actually think it was my first conscious thought thought after wa*king waking).

- Are there any hardware shops near South Kensington?

There would've been a Wilcos on HSK, but, y'know...

Young M would probably have to go to that big shop at NHG under the block of flats where Shelley Winters lived in Alfie and what used to be a Wimpy.

And, when I was very little, a short-lived shoppe called Serendipity that sold everything and nothing.

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2023 8:17 pm

Don't buy pliers online is what I have been basically try to say.

I've got several pairs.

I could've Ubered them over.

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2023 8:23 pm

Oh, and also...

Tee Hee

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2023 8:29 pm

I support the Nightjar platform in this regard.

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2023 9:29 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Hmm, I was actually thinking earlier on (I actually think it was my first conscious thought thought after wa*king waking).

- Are there any hardware shops near South Kensington?

There would've been a Wilcos on HSK, but, y'know...

Young M would probably have to go to that big shop at NHG under the block of flats where Shelley Winters lived in Alfie and what used to be a Wimpy.

And, when I was very little, a short-lived shoppe called Serendipity that sold everything and nothing.

It’s arrived. The drawer is now fixed. The pliers are tidied away in it.

I think there’s a hardware shop in Earls Court. On Kenway Road?
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2023 9:36 pm

He finally arrived just as my favourite sex scene with Michele Morrone from 365 Days had started to play on whatever dodgy Russian website I’d distractedly opened.
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 05, 2024 10:45 pm

I've just painted my airing cupboard door frame. It was navy blue. Now it's brilliant white. It was gloss. Now it's matt. bowtie

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting and decorating   Painting and decorating - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Painting and decorating
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next