The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

The Sheffieldshire thread

Go down 
+3
Fangirl Three
Butterfield
The Call of the Wendigo
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19
AuthorMessage
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sheffieldshire thread   The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:45 am

If I know there are no cameras, I drive up to 10% faster than the limit, though I do 32 rather than 33 in a 30mph zone because my brother knows someone who got fined for doing 33.

If I know or suspect cameras, I stick strictly to the limit. Particularly with average speed camera zones. They don't signpost the end of those, and there's always one more stage than you think. Though I have a margin of safety because my speedometer over-reads by 2-3mph (based on the speeds those smiley/frowny face signs display when I approach).

On motorways/dual carriageways my target speed is 68mph because it means you don't have to overtake quite so often.

Glasgow's urban motorways only have camera vans, which nearly caught me out several times when I first came here, but I've learnt the different places where they lurk now.

Quote :
I got flashed by a camera on the M1 not so long ago not too far from Sheffield whilst doing 53mph in a reduced-to-50mph zone.

Oh that's useful data. There's some debate over whether cameras strictly apply the limit, or give you the 10%+2mph that the police do. Strong evidence for the 'strict' theory. Except that they didn't actually fine you.

Quote :
It never came and I've still never had a fine for my driving in 25 years. bowtie

I've been driving 36 years without fines likewise. I had one crash in 2011, but no charges resulted.

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

PostSubject: Re: The Sheffieldshire thread   The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 9:50 am

I've had to do one speed awareness course.

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: The Sheffieldshire thread   The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 11:09 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
If I know there are no cameras, I drive up to 10% faster than the limit, though I do 32 rather than 33 in a 30mph zone because my brother knows someone who got fined for doing 33.

I seem to remember my sister got fined for doing 33 in a 30 zone - in Scotland funnily enough, though in the Borders.

Quote :
Though I have a margin of safety because my speedometer over-reads by 2-3mph (based on the speeds those smiley/frowny face signs display when I approach).

I read somewhere that all speedometers overestimate our speeds by two or three mph. Why that is could be one of a number of reasons. So maybe the speedometers on my sister's and the person your brother knows cars were reading at 35+mph to get a fine, yet officially it was classed as 33.

Quote :
On motorways/dual carriageways my target speed is 68mph because it means you don't have to overtake quite so often.

I usually set my cruise control at 68 on the motorway!

Quote :
Oh that's useful data. There's some debate over whether cameras strictly apply the limit, or give you the 10%+2mph that the police do. Strong evidence for the 'strict' theory. Except that they didn't actually fine you.

Yes, I read all about that in my days of anxiety following being flashed. I also read that they take into account how busy the motorway was at the time - and I remembered it being quite empty when I got flashed at 53mph, hence why I knew it was me that was being flashed!
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: The Sheffieldshire thread   The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 11:11 pm

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff wrote:
I've had to do one speed awareness course.

creep

Although it seems other than my mum - who rarely drives these days - I'm the only one in my immediate family who hasn't had to do a speed awareness course. bowtie
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: The Sheffieldshire thread   The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 7:53 am

Butterfield wrote:

Quote :

I usually set my cruise control at 68 on the motorway!

I like it when the person in front is going the same speed as me, because I know to overtake any vehicle that they do, and not otherwise. I use them as a pace car.

If we're ever on the same carriageway of the same road, you could perform that role.

Quote :
I'm the only one in my immediate family who hasn't had to do a speed awareness course.

My brother has done at least one, and he got fined several times for going through red lights.

My dad is doing some kind of voluntary 'dangerous old person' refresher driving course. Assuming he can keep off the sauce long enough.

PostSubject: Re: The Sheffieldshire thread   The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 pm

Snookers on! From Sheffielshire!

Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: The Sheffieldshire thread   The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 4:18 pm

Excited

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Sheffieldshire thread   The Sheffieldshire thread - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Sheffieldshire thread
Page 19 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19