The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

The big fat Eclipse thread!

Go down 
+3
Butterfield
Fangirl Three
The Call of the Wendigo
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 8:29 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
I was working this out last night. If I take a long walk to the other side of town where there's a west-facing view, about 8pm I could in theory see a very partial partial eclipse. If it isn't cloudy.

The sun will only be about 5 degrees above the horizon though.

It was cloudy.

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 12:14 am

cosmictanya wrote:
total eclipse incoming! siren he says.

Partial eclipse could be visible the link says.

Have you recently been employed as a tabloid headline writer?

Well, I meant in North America specifically as seen on TV all evening; our own little "eclipse" was just a bonus.
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 12:18 am

I watched some of the footage on the BBC and Sky News and it was quite interesting, if a little samey after a while.

Though it was annoying that reporters in each location shone bright camera lights on the people they were speaking to when it went dark! Let them enjoy the 4 minutes of random darkness in the middle of the day!! Others spectators were seen doing selfie videos and shining their phone's lights on themselves. Honestly.
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 12:24 am

I was recalling my own experience of the 1999 UK eclipse. I went out into the back garden and my brother who was back home at the time got the binoculars and did that whole backwards thing and shone the eclipse onto a piece of paper, which worked as we saw the shadow of the little bite taken out of the sun.

I seem to remember it was a sunny day and when it happened it only went a bit dull where we were in the West Midlands - pretty much like an overcast day, but just for a few minutes, and didn't go completely dark unlike Cornwall.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 6:37 am

I saw the 1999 one using eclipse glasses, it was great. The Sun was like a fiery crescent moon.

And the landscape did go very dim.

I also observed the 2004 transit of Venus, also with glasses, and the 2016 transit of Mercury via projection with my telescope.

Ooh, forgot to mench, I also once observed Venus occulted by the Moon. I didn't even know it was due to occur - I just happened to be looking at the Moon, and then Venus slowly appeared from behind the dark edge.

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 8:48 am

I haven't seen any of those things. It's always cloudy, for me, when things are happening in the sky. bawl

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 10:51 am

Butterfield wrote:
I watched some of the footage on the BBC and Sky News and it was quite interesting, if a little samey after a while.

Though it was annoying that reporters in each location shone bright camera lights on the people they were speaking to when it went dark! Let them enjoy the 4 minutes of random darkness in the middle of the day!! Others spectators were seen doing selfie videos and shining their phone's lights on themselves. Honestly.

These people don’t deserve an eclipse.
Back to top Go down
Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 10:48 pm

I went to Cornwall to look at some cloud during the 1999 eclipse but I did get to see one properly in Turkey in 2006 and an "Annular" eclipse from Spain in 2005.
I did have plans to go to Dallas for this one but, well, didn't...
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 6:22 pm

https://abc7.com/danielle-cherakiyah-johnson-posted-about-eclipse-apocalypse-on-social-media-in-days-leading-up-to-woodland-hills-murder-suicide/14643496/

Murdered her boyfriend, fled, threw her two children out of her car onto the freeway, one miraculously survived, one not surprisingly died, then she crashed into a tree and killed herself.

She saw the eclipse as time for ‘spiritual warfare’. A popular YouTube astrologer with 100,000 followers.
Back to top Go down
SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 6:41 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
I went to Cornwall to look at some cloud during the 1999 eclipse but I did get to see one properly in Turkey in 2006 and an "Annular" eclipse from Spain in 2005.
I did have plans to go to Dallas for this one but, well, didn't...

There's one in Spain in a couple of years, if you're following them around, Peak Freans

PostSubject: Re: The big fat Eclipse thread!   The big fat Eclipse thread! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The big fat Eclipse thread!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2