The phobia thread - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

The phobia thread

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

The phobia thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The phobia thread   The phobia thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2018 7:10 pm

That's where I was once bitten on the back of a hand by an insect. sad yes

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: The phobia thread   The phobia thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2018 7:23 pm

We have exclusive footage of that event

dance

get her

dontpanic
Back to top Go down
http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: The phobia thread   The phobia thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2018 7:27 pm

That's exactly how it was. sad yes

PostSubject: Re: The phobia thread   The phobia thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 03, 2018 7:55 pm

pet
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The phobia thread   The phobia thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Are the descriptions on page 1 not a sign of generalized agoraphobia? Or is it very specific? 

I have mechanophobia, and it annoys me when it's misunderstood as generalized water anxiety. I feel it's a slight on my confident elegant swimming and diving prowess. It's very specifically a fear of submerged or actually submerged man made objects.

I once had a panic attack on a pedalo, and couldn't just jump off because the object itself would've been beside me and made things worse. I was almost hysterical by the time a passing family had dragged my vessel back to the shore.

I try to avoid ferries and other boats, but when I do go on them, I stay up top/in the bar - the survivors of the Estonia had all been in the bar. A valuable lesson I think. I went to the Shetlands for work years ago and had to spend all twelve hours awake in the bar area rather going down to the cabin. 

The phrase 'watertight doors' brings me out in hives. I recall watching the Herald of Free Enterprise on its side in the North Sea on the news. I really think I'd be more at risk of dying from fright rather than drowning. In fact I don't think I would drown - once plunged into the water, adrenaline alone would compel to get as dear away from the stricken mad made object as possible.

Does anyone else share my very specific phobia?

*evidently, mechanophobia is a fear of machines. Mine must be a subset.

*yes, it's a subset. I have submechanophobia. 

https://www.theshipyardblog.com/single-post/2018/03/27/Submechanophobia---Do-You-Have-It

Don't get me started on snakes and hearses. Particularly American hearses. The major reason I could never live in the United States is the fear of having to eventually go in the back of one of those velvet curtained, padded ceiling horror film props.

Last edited by cosmictanya on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : edit)
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: The phobia thread   The phobia thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 7:28 pm

cosmictanya wrote:
Are the descriptions on page 1 not a sign of generalized agoraphobia? Or is it very specific? 

It seems that scientists aren't sure if a fear of falling into the sky is an offshoot of agoraphobia or of vertigo or of both or neither. Nor if it's a physical or a mental problem.

cosmictanya wrote:
I have mechanophobia. It's very specifically a fear of submerged or actually submerged man made objects. Does anyone else share my very specific phobia?
I won't go in the sea because I'm scared of submerged lifeforms, so I can understand a fear of submerged objects.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The phobia thread   The phobia thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The phobia thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2