Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of

Go down 
4 posters

Poll uestion
I know everything ∴ this thread is of no use to me
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_lcap0%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Like I'm going to admit I have some gaps in my knowledge
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_lcap33%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
There's something I don't know the meaning of, but I've forgotten what it is
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_lcap17%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
It is the beginning of knowledge to say 'I do not know'
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_lcap17%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Funny you should mention that as I've got something to say
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_lcap0%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Did this thread really need a poll?
Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_lcap33%Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage

Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Empty
PostSubject: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 9:49 am

I had to look up what 'Mary Sue' meant. Yes, that may have been The Last Jedi related.  and?

I'm still not sure what 'Cookie Cutter' means, and I'm too lazy to look it up. ohrly

Last edited by Steviebaby on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 9:52 am

Oh, and 'Red Pill'. I think it's something to do with the Matrix, but again, whatever
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 10:40 am

I accidentally put 'yo' on the end of a sentence the other day. I'd been watching Breaking Bad.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 11:36 am

A friend and I were having a heated debate about the true meaning of the expression 'the exception that proves the rule' a while ago.

Her understanding of it was completely different from mine. stare

And wrong. smug

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 12:31 pm

You didn't get err.. anywhere that night did you?
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 3:05 pm

All water under the bridge...

flibbington2.0

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 4:00 am

Chance would be a fine thing.

This makes no sense to me. I've tried. But it doesn't add up. And I know it can't be because I'm late to the party on this whole English language thing, surely this makes sense to no one else as well.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 am

It means like 'No, I haven't done that nice thing you mentioned, even getting the chance to do it would be a fine thing.'
Back to top Go down
http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/ Online
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Steviebaby wrote:
I'm still not sure what 'Cookie Cutter' means, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

I've heard Americans refer to houses as "cookie cutter homes" (said in a very American accent), to describe houses that all look the same.

ie. a house that ISN'T a cookie cutter home is to be lauded.

That said, the term probably has several other meanings, some that are dodgy that I'm not aware of.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 2:53 pm

'Cookie cutter' means all the same, just like cookies which have all been cut out from the dough with the same cutter (those serrated metal rings that your mum uses to cut mince pie tops out of pastry with).

flibbington2.0

flibbington2.0

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
It means like 'No, I haven't done that nice thing you mentioned, even getting the chance to do it would be a fine thing.'
Now it makes perfect sense. Thank you! I still find the phrase annoying but at least I can understand now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 am

The term 'Gaslighting' seems to be popping up lately.

dunno
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 am

If you all started flaming me and calling me a saddo stampophile, and I complained of this treatment, and you all said 'It's only a bit of fun, and stamp-lovers deserve to be mocked, and we never did it anyway' you would all be gaslighting me.

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am

hmm Sounds like that could be a laff, sad yes
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 pm

bawl

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Ah, come on, it's only a bit of fun. And I didn't say it anyway.

shifty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of   Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of Empty

Back to top Go down

Popular Phrases you don't Know the Meaning Of
Page 1 of 1