Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Christmas Shopping News

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 am

Also I fancy one of those Mushroom Wellingtons (as in Beef Wellington, minus the Beef not the footwear you cheeky scamps!) that you can get from Markus and Sparkus.

Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Scree148

But they won't have in before the 23rd of December; scared
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 9:31 am

cosmictanya wrote:
Has anyone here been to Georgia or Armenia? If so which is better? I thought Yerevan might be an interesting place for a pre Christmas shopping weekend. 

Well, Georgia has a wonderful writing system for Georgian ძალა ერთობაშია, but Armenia is a city in the sky

Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:14 pm

I hate Ricard so can't be sure, but I think you can get it in Sainsburys as standard? 

As for beef Wellington - Harvey Nichols does fantastic canapé versions that taste incredible - I highly recommend them. Quick heat up under the oven and ready to go. With them being tiny, you won't feel stuffed and you don't need cutlery.

We are going to Yerevan for a weekend.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:30 pm

WhatDoesThisButtonDo? wrote:
Does anywhere do Ricard without having to order it in?

Waitrose does Henri Bardouin for about £23...

Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Henri-bardouin-70cl

It's a very refined pastis with a real fragrance and taste or vanilla and spices - very different from the more agricultural (albeit very nice) Ricard.

It always reminds me of a very nice custard, like you get in one of those delicious Portuguese pastel de nata - vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon...

Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 20180302_133724-e1534329711287-768x1024

Last edited by Nightjar on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:31 pm

Google tells me that Ricard is hard to find in the UK. Maybe you should order it now because I can't imagine French imports are going to be flooding in freely over the festive season. 

I also came across this very snotty review on Google, which I don't really understand - "Sadly, the most popular requests among Knightsbridge residents are beef Wellington and salmon en croute". 

Why that should be a source of sadness is left unclear. I'm never enjoyed salmon I must admit - it tastes how I'd imagine a urine infection to taste. But it's not a cause of sadness to me.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:37 pm

Ricard isn't all that hard to get in London in my experience.

There are even a whole bunch of small offies in the less salubrious parts of inner London* that sell it.

Usually for about £20.

*see Champers, Great Western Road and Harrow Road or that one on Lower Clappie Road that sells Cristal and Ace of Spades shampoo generally to African blokes in customised 4X4s with those spinning chrome-effect hubcaps.

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 pm

Yes, that's what I thought. I've definitely seen it on shelves and shuddered.

Is the resale market for historic Russian icons a trustworthy one?
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Good grief! I don't know.

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Markus and Sparkus.

Marcus Spencius, surely?

Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Warren%20Mitchell%20%20Carry%20On%20Cleo%20(1964)

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 pm

OK! I just thought you might because you're an artist.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 pm

My interest in the art world as a market is less than zero and ever decreasing...

For example, I'm 150% less interested in it in the time between me typing this and subsequently hitting send.

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Does anywhere do Ricard without having to order it in?

Waitrose does Henri Bardouin for about £23...

Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Henri-bardouin-70cl

Tried it, didn't like it. Colbert

Apparently Waitrose does Ricard.
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ricard/548692-633422-633423

Sometimes my mater orders from them, I'll see if I can get her to add a bottle to the next order. Demon
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 11:44 pm

Forget Waitrose. You could travel back in time to 1969 Soviet Moscow and save some workers vouchers for Neighbourhood Shop Number 3170. They might have a variant that's been made with heart and soul rather than the open market in mind.

The Pothonggang Department Store in Pyongyang evidently stocks 'high end spirits imported from Europe' so you needn't go without when the bourgeois Waitrose is shut down and its customers are assigned to adult re-education facilities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pothonggang_Department_Store

Ricard for the people, not the few.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 6:45 am

Nightjar wrote:
Markus and Sparkus.

Marcus Spencius, surely?

Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Warren%20Mitchell%20%20Carry%20On%20Cleo%20(1964)

That's Spencius. Marcus is his brother.
Back to top Go down
http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 12:50 pm

They've got 1L Bailey's Irish Cream for £10 in Morrisons!

:DangerouslyHighCholesterol: / happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Merry bloomin' Christmas!

Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Img_5111
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 pm

Good grief - what is the world coming to? I just sent my son round to the pub to pick up a bottle of Shiraz for me (they do know us) and they said to him 'what's your mums number, we need to call her'. I said of course I sent him, do 12 year old boys normally pay cash for bottles of overpriced red wine?

That could've put the kybosh right on top of my evening. Thankfully they handed the goods over in the end so I didn't have to get dressed and go there myself.

Do they know it's Christmas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 am

I haz Ricard.

joy

I think I've got all the xmas booze I need in now.
Back to top Go down
flibbington2.0

flibbington2.0

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 24, 2019 9:26 am

I have it on good authority that my workplace will conduct a secret santa and participation will be mandatory. Because enforced fun is the best type of fun.
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 24, 2019 9:36 am

Hello, Flibby. wave

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Shopping News   Christmas Shopping News - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Christmas Shopping News
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next