The perfumery thread Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

The perfumery thread

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

The perfumery thread Empty
PostSubject: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 11:45 pm

A thread for discussion and recommendation of delicious scents. 

Labdanum 18 is exceptional. It has a very modern powderiness. We're all such fans in this family that we each have our own bottle of it. No matter what arguments may have taken place, we all know we are welcome to call or text to say it's a Labdanum 18 day, and discuss the great joy of it.

The perfumery thread 227129-1000822754-1
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 11:52 pm

My bottle of this is going to need replacement soon. Created in 1533 by Dominican monks for Catherine de Medici, it's one of my absolute favourites. 

I was having a curry and some wine with a friend when her sons burst into the living room to say there was the most amazing smell in the hallway. 

They had been sneaking to the kitchen and thought it was so incredible that all thoughts of supposed to be being in bed had left them in their need to express themselves.

I knew immediately that it must be my jacket hanging on the peg, and indeed it was. I can't recommend this highly enough. 

Always noticed and appreciated...

The perfumery thread Colonge_peau_d_espagne_1
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 11:56 pm

This is very clean and masculine. I think it is for men. It's very fresh and fiercely professional. Despite not being a fan of the genre, it's a working favourite of mine for important meetings.

The perfumery thread FullSizeRender_8
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:02 am

This remains my favourite Creed. It's aptly named - it's above royal, it's definitively Imperial. I once went on a date with a man of extremely dull vulgarity, and he said his hay fever had been triggered by my scent. I told him he was lucky to have been in its presence, breathing so deeply in the majesty, and then I got up and left him to his evening. Really sorts the wheat from the chaff.
The perfumery thread 300094
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:10 am

Another out of genre choice for me. To me, Majalis is a strongish rose, which I'm not normally a fan of but it has enough spice to twist and modernize away from being old fashioned. The house describes the target wearer as being strong, sophisticated and seductive. Which is exactly how I'd describe myself in three words so that's ideal.

The perfumery thread Lpsmajw_aedp10_04__13
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:18 am

A heavy burst of lavishness followed by a classic powder heart. Smells rich in all definitions of rich. Dramatic without being gimmicky. I nearly always wear this if I'm going to the theatre or on snatched afternoons at the ballet.

The perfumery thread LEGALLION_SORTILEGE_EDP100
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:23 am

Another masculine one. I've worn this since I bought it for my ex husband. It's almost overpowering at first but dries down into a completely unexpected candy heart. Best worn with a crisp white shirt. The tonka is easy enough to pick out. Tonka was his favourite scent. He favoured tonka soap from Fragonard and is the scent I most associate with him. Unlike many young men, even his undercarriage and underarms always smelled of fresh tonka soap.

The perfumery thread S-l300

Last edited by cosmictanya on Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:28 am

The definition of divine. A heavy and heady evening floral, also therefore perfect for transgressing during the day. It took me years to click why it was called visa. Of course - visa is accepted everywhere, life is manageable as long as you've got your visa. 

The perfumery thread 496-3001182-VISA_M?$PDP_M_ZOOM$

Last edited by cosmictanya on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:38 am

A classic from a very London house. Shem el Nessim is a powdered rich floral but far more interesting than its Edwardian heritage might suggest. I find it rather sultry and perfect for nights out in hot foreign countries. 

The perfumery thread Medium_Grossmith-Shem-el-Nessim_large
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:45 am

Not a favourite in my collection I must admit. It is sexy but it's also sweet. I would say it's an American scent rather than being in the European/Asian category. That's not to say it lacks sophistication - it has an interesting development. Good for nights out where younger people are in abundance.

The perfumery thread 375x500.46513
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:51 am

Another Tom Ford of mine that I'm not entirely devoted to. It absolutely is a heavy evening jasmine and that is exactly what I wanted. But I think it dries down into seeming synthetic or at least soapy rather than having an expected powdery base. Others say it doesn't and they like it on me. I can't help feeling it's only oriental in so far as that has been translated by an American. 

The perfumery thread 13914688_fpx
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 1:05 am

A true classic. Everyone should have a bottle of Opium. I associate it most strongly with my mother going on nights out in the 1980's, looking all spangly and leaving a trail of Opium in her wake. An evening spice, heavy and exciting, and instantly recognisable.

When my grandmother died we asked that her bottle be used to scent the inside of her banana leaf coffin. As it came down the aisle, woven in pink orchids and topped by birds of paradise, peonies, lilies and jasmine, they had obviously done exactly that.

I'll never be without a bottle of Opium for myself.

The perfumery thread S-l300

Last edited by cosmictanya on Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : detail too private)
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 1:26 am

Another easy to find in all stores favourite of mine. Caleche is the powdery standard by which I judge all others who claim the characteristic as lesser or better. I use it mainly in my hair, and it lends itself to that with aplomb.

The perfumery thread 51HTgQv8omL._AC_SS350_
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 1:30 am

Another sentimental one for me. My son wore this until he was 4 or so. It's exactly what a baby should smell like. As you can see it comes with matching lotions and fun scented soaps shaped in child friendly character form. I still have a bottle and probably always will. He always smelled so beautiful and so perfect as a baby/toddler.

The perfumery thread B8df40aa-b508-4798-b27e-81c7865bb782
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 1:45 am

I don't think you can beat Grand Soir for longevity or for oriental glamour. Still, it has a subtlety and an elegance. If you wear it on a jumper, it's almost as powerful if you pick up that same jumper a few days later. A worthy for day or night, summer or winter, home or holiday. I nearly didn't buy it because I'd bought something else. I went for a bottle of champagne to test its real longevity and harmony with my own skin, and rushed back to get myself some of this as well.

The perfumery thread 76696w
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 2:00 am

Of the two from Nasomatto in my collection, Black Afgano is my favourite. It's dark and narcotic. People react to it and aren't quite sure what they think until they spend more time in proximity. Definitely an interesting addition. 

The perfumery thread Black-afgano-extrait-de-parfum_000000000004668967
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 2:14 am

This has everything you'd want from a scent - the real hook is the charisma of it, but the dry down is an experience of increasing beauty - labdanum is fantastically apparent. Created in tribute to the peace treaty between France and Spain.

The perfumery thread 23349-compressor_fc4ad887-eda7-4a7e-95cd-9dfab97b1494_1024x1024
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 2:34 am

This has an erotic tone to it, although I find it almost quite light rather than heavy. There's a fair amount going on with lots of changes from minute to minute, and a steadier base - I do enjoy a fundamental amber. Sean is a great fan of this one.

The perfumery thread By-kilian-good-girl-gone-bad-eau-de-parfum-for-women-50-ml___19_1200x630
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 2:43 am

Everyone should have room for an old favourite. I got my first bottle of Miss Dior at 11, and it reliably took me right through my schooling from then on. A powdery classic. An elegant friend. Respect will always be paid by me.

The perfumery thread 12604
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 3:00 am

I bought this on a very hot day. It's an unusual and very dry fragrance. Clean and somewhat spicy all at once. I couldn't wear it on its own - a second scent had to be added to other pieces of clothes or body areas. I passed it along to mother who also concluded that it requires very hot temperatures to be enjoyed. Don't get me wrong - it is deserving of being enjoyed.

The perfumery thread 375x500.3836
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The perfumery thread   The perfumery thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The perfumery thread
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next