Boyzone or Westlife?

3 posters

Go down

Boyzone or Westlife? Empty Boyzone or Westlife?

Post by cosmictanya Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:49 pm

For me it can only be Boyzone. Although Ronan Keating annoys me. From 'A Different Beat' to 'Love Me For A Reason' to 'Words' to their fab tribute with Mika to Stephen Gately. I first heard 'Gave It All Away' thanks to a passenger in a first class train carriage between Temple Meads and Paddington, and I wasn't the only one in tears.

Westlife only has one good song 'When You're Looking Like That'. I do think they should've all been executed live on the Six'O'Clock news for what they did to 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' - one of the worst covers in human history. 

A hairdresser of mine had a theory that your favourite power ballad is the tempo of s*x you most enjoy. For me, that is Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'. 

How about the rest of you? Boyzone or Westlife?
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Boyzone or Westlife? Empty Re: Boyzone or Westlife?

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Boyzone because Westlife did a cover of Seasons in the Sun and smiled all the way through it on Top of the Pops. They clearly couldn't care less what the song was about.

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Yeah, my god - f*ck me, that's exactly it. I read your words and shouted exactly what I've just typed. That's exactly what they did to Total Eclipse of the Heart. Sub zero understanding of what it meant. It's one of the worst things I've ever witnessed.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:39 pm

I fell out with my brother but I've just texted him to say I'm listening to 'A Different Beat'. He replied suggesting lunch tomorrow - you can't underestimate the power of Boyzone to bring families together.

We used to listen to such things in our bedroom. He was able to do that three king size rizla thing. I always found that pretentious. I use one. A Senegalese gangmaster once offered high praise for my joint making skills so I think I was right not to waste time learning exactly how to put three papers together. 

A Different Beat encapsulates such a hopeful time in life. Young, pain free, lock ins, laughter, batterings. I really miss that flat and the local community - now all dispersed or dead. 

My great grandmother was still alive, although into her 100's by that point. An old Mizrachi Jewish lady with all sorts of anecdotes about Bombay and what have you. Even she liked Boyzone, although only on the radio - she thought televisions were common.

I could weep for what's been done to Central London. It used to be so interesting, a vortex of everyone good and bad, rich and poor. Everything is so gentrified and antiseptic now.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:40 pm

So, Boyzone or Westlife? Come on, it can't just be Wendi and me that have a view here.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:03 pm

There were three old old people who used to be neighbours there, died in the last few years. Great friends of mine. One a very old gay man whose dad was a jazz sax player and that was how they'd ended up there. 

That was a very sad funeral, and I was told he'd been found decomposed on a rug. He left his money to a kid I knew who is also gay and was beaten badly and regularly by his mothers clients (she was a hooker) so that was nice. 

Next along from us was a Maltese chorus girl who had also been a nude dancer and married a very kindly cafe owner. She was absolutely lovely. I've never seen a person wear so much jewellery. She had thickly painted on navy eyebrows. A geriatric in a Marilyn Monroe wig - nearly always swathed in mink.

The other an elegant old French lady who had lots of things to say about the fall of France, running a bar, burying her only son. She had an ashtray on a stand and we spent many happy hours smoking and talking together. I occasionally took her to the bingo. She was very fast.

Three terribly sad funerals for old London. I suppose soul deficient people like Langur of the tall buildings site are now creaming profits from those homes. Long gone are the days we'd all enjoy a bit of Boyzone at a lock in and all types of people would be together as one.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:09 pm

hmm I honestly don't think I can choose between them.

cosmictanya wrote:

A hairdresser of mine had a theory that your favourite power ballad is the tempo of s*x you most enjoy. For me, that is Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'. 

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:13 pm

WhatDoesThisButtonDo? wrote:hmm I honestly don't think I can choose between them.

cosmictanya wrote:

Well, could've been worse. Could've been Zig and Zag. 

How come you can't choose between them? As Wendi said, Boyzone is the only contender - Westlife were a disgrace to humanity.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:50 am

I'd choose Boyzone overall, if only for Ronan's rather unique singing voice. Other than him and Stephen, did the others ever do anything?!

Westlife were basically an all-new version of Boyzone and I detested them as a concept right from the start. However, I actually like Flying Without Wings and think it's better than anything Boyzone ever did.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum