My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

My night of terror by Fangirl Three

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nightjar

Nightjar

My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 1:36 pm

Ooh, I don't like Talisker.

It's like drinking a bonfire.

bananafire

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 4:03 pm

What would you recommend in the expensive Scotch area, then?

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 5:18 pm

It's only a matter of taste of course.

I'm not such a fan of Scotch from the Isles, which tend to be very peaty and smokey, not to my taste, but plenty of people love that.

I'm more of a wuss, preferring lighter, sweeter, more caramelly, nutty Speyside whiskies like Dalmore, Balvenie, Knockando, Tullibardine, etc...

Highland Park is about as smoky as I can bear.

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 pm

Are there any lighter ones that aren't sweet?

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 6:57 pm

I almost exclusively drink Macallan 25. My son enjoys the odd Stags Breath which is artificially honeyed. Obviously he's only allowed one singular measure, and only sometimes. I have to say it is very nice (very warming), but not being 12 I'm rarely in the mood for sweetened alcohol. However as an occassional drinker, I do recommend both highly.

Sometimes very late at night a Bulgarian thief of my acquaintance will arrive with a bottle of whatever and we just talk with a couple of glasses. I think of whisky as a conspiratorial drink. Not to be done alone.

You should get some attractive drinking vessels if you haven't already. I favour my Star of Edinburgh crystal. It makes all the difference to the experience. I have a whole set including three decanters and different types of glasses.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
Are there any lighter ones that aren't sweet?

They're not sweet (like Drambuie, Glayva or - vom - Southern Comfort) - just sweet by comparison to very smoky, peaty - and to my mind and palate overwhelmingly acrid - Islay whiskies (Laphroaig and Talisker being the most well known).

By sweet I mean 'notes of caramel and almond and an old pair of crusted loafers from Age Concern' and with a 'finish of marzipan and vanilla and a tramp's discarded fag end'.

It's like comparing dry white wines  - some are lighter, fruiter, floral (e.g. Sauvignon Blanc, Viogner, Gerwurztraminer, Pinot Gris etc) some more 'flinty'/minerally (Chablis?), some are more full bodied and oaked to various degrees (certain Chardonnays etc)...

Macallan is a grand old Speyside whisky BTW - very nice.

Last edited by Nightjar on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 7:30 pm

aristojar

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Quote :
You should get some attractive drinking vessels if you haven't already.

Whisky is an important discovery for me, because I like it, but I don't want to drink lots of it because it's so rich (and gives me a wicked hangover). It could be the way out of the alcoholabyrinth.

Nightjar wrote:

It's like comparing dry white wines  - some are lighter, fruiter, floral (e.g. Sauvignon Blanc, Viogner, Gerwurztraminer, Pinot Gris etc) some more 'flinty'/minerally (Chablis?), some are more full bodied and oaked to various degrees (certain Chardonnays etc)...

I like Viognier and especially flinty wines like Chablis, I'm not so keen on oakiness. (Though I realise that may be inconsistent with liking Talisker Storm because that's peaty, which is, I think, not so far from oaky).

What are the Viognier and Chablis of whisky?

Back to top Go down
http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 8:31 pm

Vile
'Orrible
Dagon
Krill
Azathoth

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:

What are the Viognier and Chablis of whisky?

Ones you can get at normal shoppes that you may like are the Balvenie Caribbean cask (aged in rum casks) and the Tullibardine Sauternes (a very sweet, but very posh dessert wine) cask.

The former is rarely on special offer (about £45), but the latter is, every now and then, suddenly reduced by £10-20 at Sainsbur', so keep your eyes peeled.

Usually it's the same kind of price - £40-50, but every now and then it goes for £25.

It's very nice.

My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 188724-big

EDIT - here's a proper review of it from a proper site...

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/tullibardine/tullibardine-225-sauternes-cask-finish-whisky/

Last edited by Nightjar on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 8:47 pm

I see Nightjar agrees with Macallan - he thought he would as a connoisseur of fine things. I say get that.

I know what you mean about not wanting to get heavily into it because it's so great. I feel the same about c*k* so I usually content myself with c**k.

I didn't like whisky until I lived in Athens where it was insanely popular. They may not have paid their own taxes but they certainly contributed much to Scotland's tax take.

Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Ooh, I've seen both those in Tescos.

I've been doing some research, I believe I'm in the 'lighter, heathery, grassy' region of whiskyspace.

Great Race of Yith
Ithaqua
Nightgaunts

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 9:08 pm

Tsathoggua
Eihort
Q: The Winged Serpent shifty
Ulthar
Ithaqua
Lloigor
Abhoth - The Source of Uncleanliness

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Monstrous
Evil
Dreadful
Iniquitous
Unpleasant
Mother of Pus

Daoloth
Rugose
Y'golonac

Shub-Niggurath
Hastur
Eihort
Rugose
Rubbish
Yog-Sothoth

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 9:54 pm

Byatis
Rkham
Abhoth spawn
Nodens
Dimensional Shambler
Yig

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My night of terror by Fangirl Three   My night of terror by Fangirl Three - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My night of terror by Fangirl Three
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2