Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The New Hall of the Wendigo

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Weird and wonderful old adverts

Go down 
+3
The Call of the Wendigo
Nightjar
cosmictanya
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Nightjar

Nightjar

Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 5:16 pm

hmm

Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Mvp39Xj

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2024 12:44 am

Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 BwnCdkm

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2024 5:54 pm

Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 OUt8Uwb

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2024 1:58 pm

Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 0y8FCh3

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 9:12 am

I think someone must’ve given my mother a version of the Addis set for her wedding present, because we had all that in a racy red - including a kitchen clock, a ‘to do’ pinboard, and the sugar etc jars. Even the mixing bowls must’ve come with.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 9:16 am

I think this explains my lifelong love of the Middle East. Why I see it as sensual and romantic.

I do remember spitting out the Fry’s Turkish Delight I’d insisted on having, in revulsion and disappointment, and (unless you count the men) it was a good 25-30 years before I dared to try any Turkish delight again - discovering I actually liked the real stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 1:05 pm

We had a roll-top bread bin exactly like that blue and white one.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 2:47 pm

£5 seems awfully sweep for a steeper steep for a sweeper back then.

You can buy one for less than that in some places even now.

I'd've bought the £10 version and then bought another sweeper for 50p (the ad can't have been from any later than 1986, if that).

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 6:05 pm

That brides shoes are not from the mid 80’s. I think they indicate the advert to be from the 1970’s - it’s just that the logo etc is quite modern for the time.

So, the style of brides shoes, and the fact the goods also come in gold, tangerine, or avocado, is the indicator that it’s likely pre 1980. There was a lot of stuff around that was in those shades - bought previously and still being used, but not advertised new.
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 6:45 pm

The Fry's Turkish Delight advert seemed to be on for years and years. It probably wouldn't be shown today as it's Tanya's an evil European's stereotype of the Middle East.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 16, 2024 9:23 pm

Butterfield wrote:
The Fry's Turkish Delight advert seemed to be on for years and years. It probably wouldn't be shown today as it's Tanya's an evil European's stereotype of the Middle East.

Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 1f62a
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 7:46 am

cosmictanya wrote:
That brides shoes are not from the mid 80’s. I think they indicate the advert to be from the 1970’s - it’s just that the logo etc is quite modern for the time.

So, the style of brides shoes, and the fact the goods also come in gold, tangerine, or avocado, is the indicator that it’s likely pre 1980.

Yes, those are absolutely 70s shoes, and she has 70s hair. And (as you say) it's a 70s colour range.

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 11:10 am

Fangirl Three wrote:
cosmictanya wrote:

So, the style of brides shoes, and the fact the goods also come in gold, tangerine, or avocado, is the indicator that it’s likely pre 1980.

Yes, those are absolutely 70s shoes, and she has 70s hair. And (as you say) it's a 70s colour range.

The hair too - good spot. If it was post 1980, I’d expect the colours other than blue to be swapped out for red, grey marl, and white. Maybe yellow instead of grey marl for the first half of the decade. And it wouldn’t be entirely marketed as ‘for her’ but instead for a generic ‘your home’.

And the squeedgie mop thing wouldn’t look as if it had already been used. By the 80’s, ruling out half your potential market by the language used, and presenting products dumped on the floor as if abandoned by someone at the communal bins wasn’t considered best business practice.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 11:23 am

I wonder what decade brown plastic basins were all the rage in? 70’s or pre? My grandparents had a brown plastic one for washing up daily stuff like breakfast and lunch things, and a navy plastic one for washing up the good stuff - dinner sets and visitors cups etc. As a kid, I strongly preferred to use the navy one for my chore contributions.

One was the colour of gravy, the other the navy of a Whispa wrapper.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 12:41 pm

It is an advert from the 1980s. Colbert

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 1:28 pm

We had a brown washing-up bowl for many years.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2024 1:29 pm

My Mum's still got hers.

She got it when she/we moved into that flat in 1979.

True story.

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2024 12:05 pm

Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 45761610

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird and wonderful old adverts   Weird and wonderful old adverts - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weird and wonderful old adverts
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3