The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The New Hall of the Wendigo

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Wine in a glass or Wire up your ass?
★★★★★
The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
★★★★☆
The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Vote_lcap33%The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
SiberianPrincess’sMidriff
★★★☆☆
The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Vote_lcap67%The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
The Call of the Wendigo, Nightjar
★★☆☆☆
The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
★☆☆☆☆
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage

The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)   The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 8:15 pm

Not sure what the point of putting 2 versions of certain songs on, just put the better, longer in the case of the title track on it. Seems confused.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)   The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 8:22 pm

I didn't mind it.

I also didn't quite get the point of it.

Knowing PT, it meant and/or was intended to express complex and profound emotions and philosophical concepts.

It was however a fairly prosaic set of songs featuring Daltrey's still powerful vocals, decent musicianship and PT's understandably poor vocals.

Townshend never was a great vocalist of course, but it was an essential element of peak plateau-era Who and worked perfectly as a fragile, heartfelt, soulful and effectively 'in tune' with the underlying concept, in counterpoint to Daltrey's bombastic primal roar.

Unfortunately, unlike some other singers, he's clearly not maintained or adapted his vocals and it was a conspicuous on this.

I mean, I guess he was never a recognised singer, although (after the earlier mod years) he probably sung (or song on) 1/3 of the band's songs, so unfortunately newer stuff exposes his vocal limitations fairly badly.

PostSubject: Re: The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)   The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 8:26 pm

Nightjar wrote:

Townshend never was a great vocalist of course,

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)   The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 8:34 pm

Have you just run that through a Tom Waits AI filter? stare

PostSubject: Re: The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)   The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 8:42 pm

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
Daltrey's vocals have probably held up better over the years than any other living singer.

Isn't Percy Plant alright these days?

Mind you he's got some help with the high notes.

PostSubject: Re: The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)   The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2023 9:02 pm

Nightjar wrote:
What's the underpinning narrative BTW?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Heard_Music

It's no Quadrophenia. Probably.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)   The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006) - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Who - Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera (2006)
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5