A happy thread of joyous things

+2
Nightjar
cosmictanya
6 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

A happy thread of joyous things - Page 4 Empty Re: A happy thread of joyous things

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:11 pm

Bullseye, that was it. It was on the tip of my tongue. That was absolutely unbearable - I bet Butterfield agrees with me. I used to have to record Father Dowling on a Friday night, so I'd have another option on the Saturday evening.

Edit - it's coming up as a Sunday. All these years that's haunted me as a Saturday evening nadir. Even now, I can't bathe on a Saturday evening because no matter how hot the water, I feel a cold emptiness and a crushing sense of ennui. It still feels like a halfhearted attempt to escape Bullseye/Blind Date/etc.

Last edited by cosmictanya on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

A happy thread of joyous things - Page 4 Empty Re: A happy thread of joyous things

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Ghostbusters came out at exactly the moment in my teenage years where I felt I'd outgrown sci-fi silliness.

Everyone kept saying to me "ah, it's just a bit of fun", but I wasn't buying it.

I think I found the whole concept idiotic, the special effects underwhelming and the humour vaguely crass and lazy too.

See also Lethal Weapon and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:20 pm

cosmictanya wrote:Bullseye, that was it. It was on the tip of my tongue. That was absolutely unbearable - I bet Butterfield agrees with me.

I'm not 100% certain he does.

Challenge - Freeview channel 46 still shows it.

The earlier episodes are hysterical.

The fashions, the prizes.

The speedboats and Talbot Solaras!

People being eliminated in the first round having won £5. happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Right now Challenge - Freeview channel 46 are showing Take Your Pick with Des O'Connor.

Now that is unbearable.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm

We'll wait for his contribution to the debate. I may have to revise my evaluation. The only quiz show I ever enjoyed was Strike It Lucky with Michael Barrymore and, well, that's not on anymore.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 pm

We'll wait for his contribution to the debate. I may have to revise my evaluation. The only quiz show I ever enjoyed was Strike It Lucky with Michael Barrymore and, well, that's not on anymore.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Challenge - Freeview channel 46 are showing back-to-back episodes of Bullseye at 11pm tonight! Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:25 pm

cosmictanya wrote:We'll wait for his contribution to the debate. I may have to revise my evaluation. The only quiz show I ever enjoyed was Strike It Lucky with Michael Barrymore and, well, that's not on anymore.

It is on Challenge - Freeview channel 46. yes

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:27 pm

That sounds horrific. And you shouldn't have made Michael come to my mind, this is a happy and joyous thread.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:29 pm

I don't mind Des. He always a bit of glitter about him.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:32 pm

cosmictanya wrote:That sounds horrific. And you shouldn't have made Michael come to my mind, this is a happy and joyous thread.

It was on on Challenge at midday today. gasp

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/titlesearch.asp?title=Strike+It+Lucky

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:34 pm

And then there was this...

My earliest quiz show memory is of being frightened by Bruce Forsyth. That set me against the whole genre really.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:52 pm

Forsyth was alarmingly aggressive.

I think when I was a kid it all appeared normal the way he corralled the contestants on The Generation Game, but if you see clips of it now it's really conspicuous how he really shoves and drags them about, gripping their arms violently.

You'd never see anything like that now.

It's p*litical correctness gone mad. yes

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:06 pm

I just found him scary. 

This is the clip I meant to include. Only a minute and a half or so. I just love that she becomes so excited she literally goes cross eyed at one point. It's an astonishing performance...

Entrusted with twenty eight foster children apparently. The Minnesota child protection department must mainline crack.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:42 pm

A four minute modern virtual mikveh in which to purify body and soul...

cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Nightjar wrote:The Blues Brothers is great.

I've never actually seen Private Benjamin.

I've been forced to watch Overboard more than once however. sad yes

I've just seen this post. In order - 1) I agree, 2) that is disgraceful and easily remedied*, 3) it's mildly diverting.

*I have several recordings of it from just one channel so I'm confident you can too. Having pressed the button, the television now records again every time it's repeated. Something that's also happened with my much cherished recordings of "Birds of a Feather" on Drama. The original run, not the ITV travesty of recent years - those I did look up how to delete.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:40 pm

A business outfit, tan shade, make up etc that I've also had great success with in delivering key speeches...

This picture has been blutacked on my main mirror, everywhere I've lived since June 1997. A strict template of the only acceptable way to do working daytime makeup. Of course, I could do it blind by now. My own two grey Prince of Wales check jackets - one with fringed detail, one without - have proved to be excellent buys, and have been massively in again for the last couple of years...

A happy thread of joyous things - Page 4 Diana-princess-of-wales-1997-G58PMN
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:52 pm

I can't think I'd have a gun even if they were legal but if I did, I'd want this one...

A happy thread of joyous things - Page 4 Christopher-lee-the-man-with-the-golden-gun-1974-T2Y5BF

That whole thing reminds me of my lovely grandfather. My mother thinks he was more like Rhett Butler, which I can see but only really in attitude. My brother agrees with me*, as did our grandmother - she should know, having been reeled in while a secretary in his offices. She always said she was initially horrified by the string of tarty things who'd turn up to look down their noses while waiting for him. I find it joyous to think of that Catholic girl overcoming her better judgement and being excommunicated. I don't think Whitehall is like that anymore.

*We timeshare his favourite belt which is very similar to this.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:54 pm

I think a gun made of gold would be too heavy to use easily. Also gold is very soft, surely the working parts would get distorted when it fired.

I'm not overly knowledgeable about guns though.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Maybe just one wrapped in gold leaf then. One of my favourite dress watches would go nicely with that gun. The surface is also has an almost match with the handle/barrel part of the above device.

Edit - this one (mine is actually without any numerals). Part of the gun above matches the frame part of the watch.

A happy thread of joyous things - Page 4 86fc76f8-a5c5-11e6-89cc-e8956b8dc0ae

I was just about to have a new strap fitted before the lockdown :(.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next