Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other

Go down 
+3
Nightjar
The Call of the Wendigo
Butterfield
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Butterfield

Butterfield

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2022 5:12 pm

cosmictanya wrote:
A short haul budget flight and a cheap hotel is almost always cheaper.

Oh yes, and that is of course what killed the British seaside resort. However much I'll defend Blackpool and similar places to a certain extent, I certainly wouldn't advocate spending two weeks there. To me it's an enjoyable day trip place. But then I'm not sure I'd want to spend two weeks in some of these cheap and tacky Spanish resorts that Brits flock to either. I'd rather have the rain of the Lake District!
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2022 5:52 pm

Butterfield wrote:
cosmictanya wrote:
A short haul budget flight and a cheap hotel is almost always cheaper.

Oh yes, and that is of course what killed the British seaside resort. However much I'll defend Blackpool and similar places to a certain extent, I certainly wouldn't advocate spending two weeks there. To me it's an enjoyable day trip place. But then I'm not sure I'd want to spend two weeks in some of these cheap and tacky Spanish resorts that Brits flock to either. I'd rather have the rain of the Lake District!

Yes, I'd rather go to the Lake District than most of the big Spanish beach towns too. Well, not the Lake District for days on end, but the South Downs certainly. I find beaches in general kind of overrated. Beach holidays aren't really something I ever do.  

I'd say budget airlines are only partly what killed the British seaside. It's very largely self inflicted because so much of it is grotty, ugly, crumbling, chilly, irredeemably dowdy, abandoned by central government, and was never all that nice to begin with.

The nicer exceptions are all pre Victorian, but the British for some reason are obsessed with Victorian stuff and consider it historical, attractive, and glorious. More often than not its heavy lumpy trash. They were more destructive than the Luftwaffe.

If the UK had a genuine love of actual history as opposed to myth, a tradition of philanthropy, wasn't intimidated by beauty, and didn't insist on disgusting peculiarities like carpets in bathrooms, then more of its coastal areas might stand a chance.

If a culture isn't sensual to begin with, then it's starting from a disadvantage when it comes to appealing to the senses. It might be more productive for Britain to reflect on that, rather than blaming Easyjet for the truth that Clacton is simply a f***ing dump.
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2023 8:52 am

Saltfleet and Fleetwood.

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2023 3:54 pm

Yeovil & Ludlow

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2023 6:05 pm

Basildon and Basingstoke.

Did I say this already? shifty

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 9:08 pm

Switzerland and Austria. I've been to one of them yet still get them mixed up.

I sometimes even forget which one I've been to.

Someone can be having a conversation about Austria and I'll think "I've been there" before realising that it's actually Switzerland I've been to. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySat Feb 18, 2023 9:12 pm

Oh, Switzerland and Sweden too. Someone can be having a conversation about Sweden and I'll...... blah blah
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 11, 2023 4:40 pm

Chapel-en-le-Frith and Chester-le-Street.
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 17, 2023 1:31 am

Yeovil and Frome.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySat Jun 17, 2023 5:53 am

Dunstable and Whitstable. Despite having been to Dunstable, and stayed in the Premier Inn there, I still think of it as being on the south coast, when it's actually next to Luton.

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 18, 2023 12:30 am

I used to think that Dunstable was in Devon.

I might have been mixing up Barnstaple and Dunster.
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyFri Jul 21, 2023 2:43 pm

Selby and Thirsk.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyFri Jul 21, 2023 2:49 pm

Ooh, I hate that bit of the A1(M), it's so boring.

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 29, 2023 7:53 pm

Whitby and Whitley Bay.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 29, 2023 8:58 pm

Butterfield wrote:
Selby and Thirsk.

Selby and Trump.

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 30, 2023 2:12 am

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
Whitby and Whitley Bay.

Yes, for years whenever Whitley Bay was mentioned I'd think they were talking about Whitby.

But these days I read Whitley Bay in a Geordie-ish accent.
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 26, 2023 4:12 pm

The Falkland Islands and the Shetland Islands.

....When I was younger.
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 26, 2023 4:38 pm

But what about Shetland and Orkney? scared

Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 26, 2023 4:40 pm

They're still at war with each other. sad yes
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 26, 2023 6:31 pm

I disambiguate them by remembering that the Orkneys are neyrer to the mainland.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next