Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other

+3
Nightjar
The Call of the Wendigo
Butterfield
7 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 2 Empty Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Slap bang over the city centre.

Park Square roundabout. dontpanic

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 2 Empty Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Tue May 11, 2021 7:47 pm

No. Pond Street bus station. dontpanic

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Tue May 11, 2021 7:48 pm

Those two posts should have been in the lightning thread. shifty

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue May 11, 2021 7:56 pm

Park Square roundabout and Pakistan.

Pond Street bus station and Poland.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri May 14, 2021 7:06 pm

In communication with Perth and Kinross Council - so I thought - I had a lovely and lengthy conversation with the chief exec of a state run orphanage. I was rather surprised by the conditions and pressures she described, but we agreed to speak in more depth when she had more detail to hand. After all this, my assistant informed me that like Perth and Kinross, Pakistan used a PK designation. The strange dialling code hadn't alerted her to double check.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri May 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Butterfield wrote:A friend of mine had a small break near Margate last week and when I had a look on the map I realised that there's the town of Margate and then there's the different town of Ramsgate nearby. I think I've always thought they were the same place whenever anyone mentions them, much like my Audrey Hepburn-Katharine Hepburn embarrassment, who I still think are the same person.

Then there's my more local Solihull and Sutton Coldfield - sometimes when someone talks about Solihull I think they're talking about Sutton Coldfield, but never vice versa! eye crazy

Oh, and Sweden and Switzerland.

That's absolutely disgraceful. Like left and right or night and day, one was mainly in black and white, and one was mainly in colour.

The death of Audrey was my chosen news story when it happened - a class rotation task, pick something out of the in recent days news and present it to us all.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri May 14, 2021 7:17 pm

Butterfield wrote:Maidenhead and Maidstone.

Yes, it took the horror of a bankrupt friend moving to the latter of the two for me to get them right in my head. Opposite directions. Again, something of a left right situation.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri May 14, 2021 7:19 pm

Just to add, in case of doubt, I haven't actually graced either Maidenhead or Maidstone with my in person presence, but I've written Maidstone, Kent on a couple of Christmas card envelopes.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri May 14, 2021 7:24 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:And Istanbul and Bolsover.

shifty

Many years ago, at the beginning of her dementia, my grandmother rang me when I was in Istanbul. A Kurdish barman* I was spending an evening with answered for me, and it led to great confusion all round. When I eventually grabbed the phone, she said she thought I was in Bombay. Why that would've been more likely, I never managed to get to the bottom of.

*Hassan - a full eight and a half out of ten.

I can't remember the name for an Istanbul shanty/favela. It does have a specific term.

Edit - a 'gecekondu' is the name.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Fri May 14, 2021 7:34 pm

cosmictanya wrote:Just to add, in case of doubt, I haven't actually graced either Maidenhead or Maidstone with my in person presence, but I've written Maidstone, Kent on a couple of Christmas card envelopes.

That's how I always remember which is which: "Maidstone, Kent" rolls off the tongue, mainly due to the fact that was the address for a Saturday morning kids show which regularly got announced on the show - possibly Motormouth in the early 90s.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri May 14, 2021 7:59 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:And Istanbul and Bolsover.

shifty

I have genuinely just spat wine all over my computer screen laughing at that. laugh out loud

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri May 14, 2021 8:30 pm

I have no trouble distinguishing Maidenhead from Maidstone, as it is to Maidenhead that Louis D'Ascoyne Mazzini goes to commit his first two murders on the river.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri May 14, 2021 8:36 pm

That film's been on on telly a few times recently and I keep switching over halfway through and, unlike certain other films I love, I just can't watch it only halfway through.

Also, Joan Greenwood...

blush

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 pm

Butterfield wrote:
cosmictanya wrote:Just to add, in case of doubt, I haven't actually graced either Maidenhead or Maidstone with my in person presence, but I've written Maidstone, Kent on a couple of Christmas card envelopes.

That's how I always remember which is which: "Maidstone, Kent" rolls off the tongue, mainly due to the fact that was the address for a Saturday morning kids show which regularly got announced on the show - possibly Motormouth in the early 90s.

I hated motormouth. It was a different world over on Channel 3. The only Saturday morning show less appealing was Parallel 9.

For years I thought Chicago was actually called Chicargo.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 pm

The Birmingham suburbs of Erdington and Kingstanding. Oh, Kings Heath too. I've been to all of them but I can never remember which is which.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:07 pm

Rochdale, Rotherham.

Mansfield, Macclesfield.

Hull, Halifax, Huddersfield.

Bradford, Burnley, Bolton, Barnsley.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:09 pm

York, New York.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:50 am

Castleford and Castleton.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Budapest and Bucharest.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:43 pm

It only takes 9 hours to drive from Budapest to Bucharest. gasp

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next