Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of

+2
Butterfield
Fangirl Three
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Empty Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of

Post by Fangirl Three Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:03 am

I was boasting in another thread about knowing every inch of the A12 between two local places. I thought I'd share one or two bits of it with you. And then of some other roads that I know every inch of.

This bit is annoying, there's always someone waiting to come out from the side road and slow you down. So you have to judge between going fast enough to make sure there  isn't a gap for them to fit into, but not so fast that you crash into them if they try anyway.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Empty Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of

Post by Fangirl Three Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:06 am

Here there's such a sharp bend on the main carriageway that they've had to change the sign so it's got a bendy tip.

Bonus points if you spot someone who thinks they can get onto the A12 here, and they come over the bridge and stop sharp in the loop that goes to the hotel.

Back to top Go down

Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Empty Re: Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of

Post by Fangirl Three Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:10 am

Another ultra-dangerous junction. See where it says 'The Matchyns'? That isn't there now because someone misjudged the bend and crashed into the brick wall, demolishing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:51 am

I thought that bendy road sign was camera distortion!
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:17 pm

On the opposite carriageway from that last picture

I find the 1-2-3 mileages there very pleasing.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 pm

Brompton Road, from Thurloe Place to Scotch Corner. Not only could I drive or walk it blindfold and go precisely where I was going, I could probably name every single shop, cafe, restaurant, and bank that's ever been there during my life - right down to the exact premises they occupied. Some of my ashes are to be scattered there, in high summer, into heavy traffic, on a busy Saturday afternoon. After they've been perfumed.

Motorways - one is much like another. The beauty is that, barring knowledge of likely local choke points or particular bends that are sharper than they might be, you don't need to know them. In general I have a very decent sense of direction. I've never used a sat nav. I don't even tend to get lost in places I've never been before. It's my great inbuilt talent. I am impatient with people who don't have it. My mother doesn't have it.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:13 pm

Ironically, having posted all those A12 photos I haven't been along that road for a month, and won't be going that way again for another 2 weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarniwoop Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:39 pm

I drove along the A12 on Wednesday and DIDN'T get caught in a traffic jam, however the M23 and M25.......
Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:27 pm

Why would anyone go near the M23 in the middle of summer? Finding it too busy for sanity is like going to Siberia in January and saying 'it was cold'.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarniwoop Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:23 am

cosmictanya wrote:Why would anyone go near the M23 in the middle of summer? Finding it too busy for sanity is like going to Siberia in January and saying 'it was cold'.

Gatwick, after getting off an 11hr "No Sleep" flight.

At least I could have a doze in the traffic.
Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:04 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
cosmictanya wrote:Why would anyone go near the M23 in the middle of summer? Finding it too busy for sanity is like going to Siberia in January and saying 'it was cold'.

Gatwick, after getting off an 11hr "No Sleep" flight.

At least I could have a doze in the traffic.

Even less sympathy for you now! Book a car with a driver to take you door to door - after (or before) a long haul flight, it's money well spent. Or take a leaf out of Jimmy Savile's book and let the train take the strain.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarniwoop Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:30 pm

The train is out of the question, 3 big suitcases, 3 heavy cabin bags and a wheelchair for my youngest....don't get me started if all 5 of us go!
I do book the valet parking though, it's nice to have someone waiting with your car as you leave the terminal.
Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:56 pm

I can't think of anything more stressful than having to drive after a flight. That would mean no wine with the meal/s. No whisky to start a nap. No nothing. Just the knowledge that you have no choice but to be straight and fully rested the moment you land. That whole vibe would be like the night before a big meeting.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarniwoop Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 pm

I got a couple of bottles of Wine as soon as possible thinking it will send me to sleep,but..
No.
Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:30 pm

Where were you? Did you all have a good time?
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarniwoop Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:30 pm

cosmictanya wrote:Where were you? Did you all have a good time?

Tobago, Coco Reef Hotel

I know the roads there pretty well now as we hired a car and explored also had a cheeky look inside a lot of the other Hotels, I reckon you would like the Blue Waters Inn...... I would be a pretty good tour guide for Tobago after all that.
That's not the car I hired!!
Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Tob310
Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Tob210
Notable bits of roads that you know every inch of Tob110

Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:07 pm

Looks ghastly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:35 pm

Kind of off-topic Colbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarniwoop Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 pm

But,but it's rude not to answer a question...

Sorry. Picard
Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 pm

hug

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next