Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) Empty
PostSubject: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 8:46 am

Following on from the discussion about Villa Park in the driving thread.

I have seen from the road Villa Park, Bolton Wanderers ground (just down the road from here) and Celtic Park (I drive right past that often when in Glasgow).

I have entered Portman Rd (Ipswich), Carrow Rd (Norwich) and Layer Rd (Colchester Utd).

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 9:03 am

The only football grounds I've seen from a road are the Sheffield ones, Blackpool's and Rotherham's.

I've seen Derby County's from a railway station.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 9:04 am

Countless ones.

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 9:05 am

I shall start counting them after I've had a nice cup of tea.

Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 9:08 am

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
The only football grounds I've seen from a road are the Sheffield ones, Blackpool's and Rotherham's.
And, also, Don Valley Stadium which was used by Rotherham for a couple of seasons while their fancy new stadium was being built.

Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 9:08 am

I'm principally interested, btw, in grounds belonging to clubs that were in Divisions 1-4 in 1978, or the contemporary equivalents of those at the time of sighting.

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 9:17 am

I've also been here, which was the site of Wednesday's stadium before they moved to Hillsborough.

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 9:25 am

I've only been inside Liverpool FC, I think.

I've walked past, many. yes

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 2:30 am

From the top of my head:

Wolverhampton Wanderers
West Bromwich Albion
Walsall something or other
Aston Villa (I think I've driven UNDER part of that!)
Birmingham City
Stourbridge Town What a Face
Bilston Town What a Face
Manchester Disunited
Manchester Sh*tty
Bolton something or other in the distance
Leeds wotsit from the motorway
Glasgow Keltic
Glasgow Rangas
Edinburgh something with a random name that I'd never heard of before but was pointed to it from the ascent to Arthur's Seat which we didn't reach
Wembley new one with the arch from the train
The rugby stand in London whose name escapes me
Chelsea Village
Harrogate Town
Darlington something or other
One of the Bristol ones.
Back to top Go down
Butterfield

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 2:34 am

I should also add that the only one I've *almost* been in is the Wolves one - twice - more than 30 years ago my dad took us to the old on-site shop, which was in a portakabin on the car park, then about 15 years ago a friend of mine forced me to go into the new shop which is incorporated into the stand things. I was mildly impressed with the cat beds with Wolves logos on them. I'm sure this isn't unique to this particular football team.
Back to top Go down
Fangirl Three

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 8:46 am

That reminds me that I too have walked round the outside of Wembley, the old proper one with the towers.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 3:07 pm

I've been in the old Wembley, several times.

What a dump it was. yes

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 5:15 pm

Butterfield wrote:
Aston Villa (I think I've driven UNDER part of that!)

I thought as much

Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 5:26 pm

So...

Been in in

Wembley (the old one) - status: demolished
Old Trafford - MUFC - status: barely still standing
Highbury - Arsenal - status: turned into luxury flats
White Hart Lane - Spurs - status: demolished
Stamford Bridge - Chelsea - status: still standing
Upton Park/Boleyn Ground - West Ham Utd - status: demolished
Selhurst Park - Crystal Palace - status: still standing
Craven Cottage - Fulham - status: still standing
Loftus Road - QPR - status: still standing
Vicarage Road - Watford - status: still standing
Champion Hill - Dulwich Hamlet - status: still standing
The Valley - Wimbledon - status: demolished
Manor Ground - Oxford Utd - status: still standing
Abbey Stadium - Cambridge Utd - status: still standing
Portman Road - Ipswich Town - status: still standing
Goldstone Ground - Brighton & Hove Albion - status: demolished
Filbert Street - Leicester City - status: demolished
Carrow Road - Norwich City - status: still standing
The Dell - Southampton - status: demolished

Cricket Grounds

Lords
The Oval
Fenner's

Been past or outside of of

The Emirates - Arsenal - status: still standing
The (New) Den - Millwall - status: still standing
Brisbane Road - Leyton Orient - status: still standing
Underhill Stadium - Barnet - status: demolished
St. Mary's - Southampton - status: still standing
County Ground - Swindon Town - status: still standing
Ricoh Arena - Coventry City - status: still standing
Ashton Gate - Bristol City - status: still standing
Brunton Park - Carlisle Utd - status: still standing
Vetch Field - Swansea City - status: demolished
Ninian Park - Cardiff City - status: demolished
Huish Park - Yeovil Town - status: still standing
Parc de Princes - PSG - status: still standing
Stade Pierre-Mauroy - Lille OSC - status: still standing
Stade de Genève - Servette - status: still standing
La Rosaleda Stadium - Malaga CF - status: still standing
Ferenc Puskás Stadium (the old one) - Hungary nation team - status: demolished

Other sporting venues

Twickenham (rugby)
Croke Park (various Irish sports)
Linford Christie Stadium (athletics)
Crystal Palace National Sports Centre (athletics)

Butterfield

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Twickenham (rugby)

That's the one I couldn't think of the name.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 6:48 pm

Twickers (aristojar) is quite good inside...

Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) Twickenham-stadium

...but outside it's a veritable eyesore.

Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) Twickenham04

Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 7:44 pm

I like it. I like stadium exteriors that look like they were designed by Aztecs. yes

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 7:56 pm

Where they did all heart-ripping-out sacrifices? I love you

Fangirl Three

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 am

Nightjar wrote:
So...

Been in in

Portman Road - Ipswich Town - status: still standing
Carrow Road - Norwich City - status: still standing

That makes us double football ground siblings! love them

Quote :

Cricket Grounds

That reminds me I have driven and walked past Essex's ground in Chelmsford millions of times. And also watched part of a match from the top of the multi-story car park which overlooks it.

Quote :

Other sporting venues

Twickenham (rugby)

I have driven past Twickenham, when I took a wrong turn at the Crooked Billet roundabout and got on the A30/A4 instead of the A308/A316 for Richmond. I had to plough my way down through the rush hour in Hounslow and Isleworth, past Twickenham, to get back to the A316.

And when I did park in Richmond I still had my 4¼ mile walk to Hammersmith. I had to jog most of the way, and I made it to my appointment on time, covering the distance in 64 minutes. An athletic feat comparable to any performed inside Twickenham, I'll wager.

Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 7:00 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
I like it. I like stadium exteriors that look like they were designed by Aztecs. yes

Like this one? hmm

Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) 1620534659_azteca-stadium

PostSubject: Re: Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)   Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL) Empty

Back to top Go down

Football grounds that you have driven past (and otherwise seen/entered IRL)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next