The Call of the Wendigo
Fangirl Three
11 posters

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

The gardening thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The gardening thread

Post by cosmictanya Tue May 19, 2020 9:43 pm

What wall colour?

Last year I and he, painted a friends church pews in neon colours, and glued on a variety of Pat Butcher earrings and art shop pearls/rhinestones in patterns. They looked good.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 pm

Colour wise I've basically whittled it down to somewhere either or between these:

The wall on the left:
The gardening thread - Page 8 At-archive-ce07ffdc396748e3f89fba7aad6ac189c9f726f1

Wall on right and rear

The gardening thread - Page 8 P067tpzx

As it's a brick wall and outside it'll have to be a tad more 'tonal' I feel, to mimic the lichens, moss spots and efflorescence you'd get on  brick and to not look a bit 'flat'. The other sides of my garden is ringed by fences that are a dark oak colour, and most of the flowers in the garden are predominately shades of dark red, crimson, plum, mauve, and violet, so it'll make a nice contrast I think.
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue May 19, 2020 10:36 pm

Both are good. My uncle has his garden things in a shade of green that merges with the plants which also works well - could be something to consider.

I do prefer the Schitts Creek shade, but that's perhaps because I'm also an enormous fan - especially of Moira Rose.

I loved her London accent/traumatic Russian mobster birth story when trying to buy a discount car, possibly only beaten by her disdain over the magazine story about a woman who couldn't afford a Persian rug so painted one on the floorboards. What's your favourite season? 'Awards'.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue May 19, 2020 10:52 pm

The gardening thread - Page 8 Giphy-downsized
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Tue May 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Helium wrote:Bought one of these to tackle the neighbour's two overbearing Leyland cypressesesses Excited

The gardening thread - Page 8 61bFHjpUjrL._AC_SL1500_

How do they work? Some years ago I bought an ultra long telescopic pruner thing for reaching high branches which has more of a scissor-like action, but it also came with a saw part to add to it, looking much like what's in that picture, but I've never used it as I have no idea a) how it works and b) how to attach it. red face
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Helium wrote:to tackle the neighbour's two overbearing Leyland cypressesesses Excited

I think you can legally throw any cut overhanging branches back into the neighbour's garden - it's what I do anyway. evil2
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 pm

It looks complicated at first but it is really just a case of you pulling the string on the left down which moves the saw or scissor attachment to chomp down.

Thankfully I'm on fairly good terms with my neighbours who are understanding but even if they weren't they can't really kick up a fuss because their house is about 50 metres away whilst these trees grow about 3 feet next to my fence and are growing about 70% over my side Colbert so I don't need to pass-aggro dump their dirty twigz.

Plus I've also got a small incinerator (that is a bin with holes) and like to turn the cut-offs into potash yes

cosmictanya wrote:Both are good. My uncle has his garden things in a shade of green that merges with the plants which also works well - could be something to consider.

I do prefer the Schitts Creek shade, but that's perhaps because I'm also an enormous fan - especially of Moira Rose.

I loved her London accent/traumatic Russian mobster birth story when trying to buy a discount car, possibly only beaten by her disdain over the magazine story about a woman who couldn't afford a Persian rug so painted one on the floorboards. What's your favourite season? 'Awards'.

Yes, I am drawn a bit more to the Schitt's Creek wall, and I do like and relate a lot to the underlying message/spirit of the show too, which would give the wall a bit more meaning. I suppose if it's a little too much I can always tone it down to the latter colour anyway.
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 am

Butterfield wrote:
Helium wrote:to tackle the neighbour's two overbearing Leyland cypressesesses Excited

I think you can legally throw any cut overhanging branches back into the neighbour's garden - it's what I do anyway. evil2

As far as I know, you not only can, but you have to - technically it's their property which you are returning. You can legally cut every last twig that dares to hang into your property, as long as you give it to them. It does seem a little passive aggressive but there we are.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed May 20, 2020 1:17 am

It's a great show. If it means you have such positive associations, you should go with that. A dance routine while miming to 'Simply The Best' for the grand unveiling might bring the special spirit of it all to Bristol.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Wed May 20, 2020 9:12 pm

yes

Although I might lip sync to this instead:

Also, I had a play around with the paint today. Initially it didn't go so well at first; it became obvious I would likely need much more pigment powder than I had intended plus an additional blue or navy shade, and parts were initially looking a bit too flat and the hue was a bit too 'bright'.

That said I'm pleased with how it's subsequently turnt out. It has a very obvious copper oxide green colour, and with decent texture; think a tad more vibrant Statue of Liberty green (imo). I'll throw up some pics when I've done a bit more by next week.

Overheard one of my neighbours making a comment about it when they thought I wasn't around. Don't think they were impressed or were rather confused by the concept of a wall that wasn't some shade or cream, white, or grey.
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu May 21, 2020 7:55 am

You should've appeared within their line of sight all of a sudden, and sadly interjected "I'm sorry you speak of me in that way" before dabbing an eye, waving their painful presence away, and turning away/going inside.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Fri May 22, 2020 5:58 pm

It's fine, I couldn't care regardless yes Were they or anyone actually direct in their 'critique' I'd simply tell them to F off and throw a heavy object at anyone if they had the audacity to throw 'attitude' my way unprovoked.  Sasha skulls

It's quite a bold colour choice 'round 'ere so I'm quite happy for it be divisive, and quite like that certain people might not like it;  I rather enjoy that it elicits such a reaction:devil:

Last edited by Helium on Fri May 22, 2020 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm

This is what it looks like at the moment:

maybe the neighbour had a point

[img][/img]

I'm quite chuffed with how it's turned out so far but I've run out of green pigment so I've had to stall it for now. I might end up going a bit more 'sedate' perhaps* although I'll wait until I've at least covered and completed the wall in this hue, and see how well it does when the garden is at it's fullest over the summer.

*Something that's closer to say a Barbara Hepworth sculpture:

The gardening thread - Page 8 Pieces-The-Family-of-Man-Barbara-Hepworth-1970

Last edited by Helium on Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 pm

It looks great. Once some plants are set against it, it'll be fab. Hot pink flowers will look particularly brilliant.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sat May 23, 2020 6:00 pm

I hope the local 'business community' appreciate all the care that's been taken over the presentation.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Sun May 24, 2020 12:27 pm

With any luck I should hope not (I think?)
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sun May 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Lesbians, women in the business community. Interchangeable in extremis when you've worked lovingly on a presentation for one group and find yourself faced with the other.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Damn, I should have got that Schitts Creek's reference Picard
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Sat May 30, 2020 10:43 pm

Continued on from the weather thread as seemed more fitting here:

cosmictanya wrote:It's been glorious again. I hope this lasts all summer. Living with all the windows open is my preferred state.

I hadn't seen that, but lovely as it is, it's no bigger than my terrace. No scope for a pool, different levels, a dining deck, a greenhouse, trees, a secret garden containing all white flowers, etc.

Hmmm it might not sound like a lot of space but I think you'd be able to do it justice and get almost all those things, with an area only in 250 sq-m range (and realistically find a place within zones 2-4). At least basing it off of what I've so far managed to pull off with only about 110 sq m of space (split between 3 sections). Also how large you would want certain things like the greenhouse etc.

Obviously with addition of a pool it'd change things greatly, or at least depending on what kind you wanted i.e. A Riad style pool vs a Palm Springs/LA vs one somewhere in between?
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sun May 31, 2020 3:11 pm

In between those sizes - enough for a few leisurely lengths rather than ornamental. Greenhouse tucked away out of sight for a few things like plumbago so it wouldn't die in the winter. The Belsize Park garden flat link is the most realistic I could see in terms of area, size, price, lifestyle, potential. One line change only for my sons school.

We need three bedrooms - one for me, one for my son, one for guests/Sean when we didn't have guests, and the potential to have a small fourth for his daughter. I was quite excited by the discovery of that flat. Our aims might not be as far apart as I feared.

The only postcodes I find acceptable are SW1,3,5,7,10, W1,2,8,9,11, NW1,3,8. Parts of W14 negotiable on a case by case basis. But that's all - and only a couple of them remain affordable when a decently sized garden is an essential feature.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next