Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you?

4 posters

Go down

Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you? Empty Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you?

Post by Nightjar Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:12 pm

The purpose porpoise dolphin narwhal of this thread is to find out what you think is the intended meaning of the Colbert smiley, what it's actual meaning was originally intended and whether any of us are correct and/or on the same page as one another.

Back to top Go down

Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you? Empty Re: Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you?

Post by Nightjar Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Colbert

Back to top Go down

Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you? Empty Re: Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you?

Post by Nightjar Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:18 pm

To me, it has a number of meanings.

Colbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:19 pm

It's from Stephen Colbert who is apparently some American TV presenter or something.

I take it mean this:

Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you? Landmesser-part

I can't explain it better than that.

colberta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:21 pm

type

Yes I can.

Colbert/Colbare - what does it mean to you? ROxdN

No Sir, I Don't like it.

Defiantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:29 pm

It is one of our most excellent smileys, it means 'I don't agree with you at all, and am indeed slightly hostile towards you (though not any more than that, cos that's not how we roll on the NHOTW)'
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 pm

For me it also means "and..."/"yes, I'm waiting..."...

Y'know, like, I expect something of you by way of response and you have hitherto remained silent on the matter from which I can only surmise that you are incapable of a reasoned or satisfactory response.

Y'know, like Colbert

- a predetermined expectation that whomsoever replies to the question in question will be exposed as a dullard and/or charlatan even before they've dared to make it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:54 pm

On this forum however I feel it's often used (as far as I can tell) in a passive aggressive way after someone's made a statement regarding a personal opinion that could possible be interpreted by other m*mbers as being incorrect, silly or embarrassing to indicate that you're adamant in your opinion and are daring others to challenge the intractable, impenetrability of your entirely subjective dogma.

e.g.

Wendi: "I like The Frog Chorus and think it was better than "Jealous Guy" and "The Pipes of Peace" is better than all of Led Zeppelin and classical music".

Colbert

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 pm

I always take it as meaning, "I'm not impressed."

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Due to the 'wonderful' Colbert search feature on here, the last three examples I can find are this post,

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:I do notice a lack of variety. Everyone seems to be doing Aladdin, Cinderella or Peter Pan. Colbert

From the Pantomime (new) thread, meaning "I'm not Impressed"  and my one in the Last Video Youtube Recommended to you

Steviebaby wrote:The new large family of small passerine birds has dropped!

Steviebaby wrote:Err…

I'm not fixing it. Colbert

Where I'm being definitely not changing the autocorrect on the acronym of Todd In The Shadows, and I am unanimous in that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:59 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:I always take it as meaning, "I'm not impressed."

Me too.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:32 am

Yes, I suppose it can have an 'is that it? I was expecting better' overtone.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:38 am

I think we need to know who was rude to Nightjar via the medium of interpretive dance smileys?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum