Go north, not so young fangirl

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Go north, not so young fangirl Empty Go north, not so young fangirl

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:37 pm

By popular demand, a new thread for extensive discussion of my plans to move to Scotland, or as I call it, 'Operation Forgill'.

I worked out today that, if I was willing to stay where I am for 3 years, I will have - ceteris paribus - saved up enough cash to tide me over till I can start claiming my workplace pension in 2025, even if I couldn't find a single day's work in Scotland till that happy day arrived.

Now, if I start claiming it that early, I won't get as much as if I waited longer, but, I could easily survive on it by appreciating wine a bit less enthusiastically and not being so fancy in my eating choices.

Then again, 3 years is a long time, and my current situation is driving me mad and I might flip out and throw a chair through a window or something if it goes on another week.

It's the employability question that's the big unknown. I have proven software development skillz, but who knows what harsh economic winds might start blowing if Br*xit doesn't turn out to be quite so d*ne after all?
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Go north, not so young fangirl Empty Re: Go north, not so young fangirl

Post by cosmictanya Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:00 pm

Of course it isn't done. The only thing that's been done is its supporters, and they've done the rest of us along with them. I myself will never knowingly offer hospitality, roadside assistance, a days work or a kind word to any of them.

Go north. As I said elsewhere, nothing is worth feeling miserable and unfulfilled. You could say that's an expensive price to pay. Those kinds of feelings take a negative toll on health.

While 39k may not find you living in downtown Kabul, I would still say it's too cheap to bother with, and is nothing like an attractive option.

Isolated with no public transport = bored teens with nothing better to do, locals with pretty isolated outlooks on life, and you are reliant on always being physically well enough to drive.

Let's all look at Glasgow properties on your behalf and find something actually appealing that isn't in the back of beyond, and has a chance of having neighbours up to their own lives and therefore less likely to be in yours. Surely that's a much better prospect?
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:20 pm

Of course it isn't done.

As it happens I quite agree. But here on the non-political HOTW I avoid saying things that might come across as bold political challenges when the main point of my post is not in that area anyway.

My target price is 150k if I phoned up my boss tomorrow and told him to take this job and shove it after the 3 months' notice contractually required. If that's all I spend on buying a house, I can happily spend my time till 2037 jumping through hoops for the DWP without needing to care whether they sanction me or not.

It was originally 190k - which goes a long way in SW Scotland - but that price assumes that I somehow superhumanly survive another 3 years as posited.
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:20 pm

This is nice. Decent area. Enormous kitchen with dining space...

https://www.pacittijones.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-search-results/property-detail/?prop=128571

I looked for Glasgow flats between 100k and 200k. Presuming you'd be ok with one bedroom. Although the above has a living room alcove you could stick a guest bed in, or else use it as a study.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:24 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
Of course it isn't done.

As it happens I quite agree. But here on the non-political HOTW I avoid saying things that might come across as bold political challenges when the main point of my post is not in that area anyway.

My target price is 150k if I phoned up my boss tomorrow and told him to take this job and shove it after the 3 months' notice contractually required. If that's all I spend on buying a house, I can happily spend my time till 2037 jumping through hoops for the DWP without needing to care whether they sanction me or not.

It was originally 190k - which goes a long way in SW Scotland - but that price assumes that I somehow superhumanly survive another 3 years as posited.

Yes, you're quite right. I must try to bite my tongue.

Do you require two bedrooms? I mean, it might be nice to have a private space for guests. Or - you can rent out lodgings for up to 7k per year without incurring tax, might help, and if you had a mature graduate student from somewhere interesting, it might work out ideally as a social thing too.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
Of course it isn't done.

Yes, I do feel we're better off not discussing political issues, as, however, strongly we might feel about them, we should recognise that the demise of the Skyscrapercity Skybar has largely been down to political arguments having poisoned its atmosphere. I wouldn't want this forum to go the same way. scared

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 pm

Yes, you're both absolutely correct, I will refrain.

Really rather nice if you like modern buildings...

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/8200483/

Very well appointed, lovely outdoor space, nice area. £159k
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:35 pm

Thank you CT, that's certainly the sort of thing I've been looking at. I have Rightmove sending me alerts on suitably priced places in this area

Go north, not so young fangirl Glasgo11

which I carefully mapped out with reference to the zoopla 'heat map' and that 'multiple deprivation index in Scotland' map that's been doing the rounds.

Do you require two bedrooms? I mean, it might be nice to have a private space for guests.

Two rooms is better, because as her in Up The Junction says, at least then you can go from one into the other. And everywhere I've lived since I started housekeeping independently, I've liked to have a bedroom for me and a lumber room/computer room/guest bedroom as well.

Yes, I do feel we're better off not discussing political issues, as, however, strongly we might feel about them, we should recognise that the demise of the Skyscrapercity Skybar has largely been down to political arguments having poisoned its atmosphere

I quite agree, and I only mentioned the B word in the first place because the possible financial effect was relevant to my plans. I don't want any opposite-minded NHOTWers to think I only started this thread to have a snidey go at them, nothing was further from my mind. I've got other things to worry about honest, I've spent the last week trying to establish whether given that I find my workplace too noisy to do my job properly, but my colleagues - while acknowledging the issue - say they can cope, our employer has to find me somewhere quieter to work or they can just replace me with someone who can deal with the noise. Answer seems to be 'nope, you're outta there, if you tell enough lies you might get 30k severance but that's on your conscience.'

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:36 pm

I was looking for Camphill Avenue for you. I had a great time in a vast flat there with a Celtic footballer. Absolutely stunning flats. There aren't any, but the roads around it are equally lovely, which is how I found the modern one above.

I would think the 39k houses probably do fall into a multiple deprivation ward. At best, you might find yourself as a free taxi service for people who are too sick to drive or use the one bus a fortnight that trundles through the town.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:55 pm

A two bed, near the one bed above. It is sold, but it gives you an idea of what kind of standard and size a two bed would provide. £140k

https://www.rettie.co.uk/properties/11993611/sales

I think that is very attractive. I'd gladly live in it myself.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:21 pm

Oooh, this quite spacious...

https://www.s1homes.com/Flats-for-sale/2020013009110792.shtml

Two beds, 135k.

All of these are well within your map of interest. I'm quite enjoying myself, despite being the only one doing any work around here on your behalf.

I've always thought I'd make a really good estate agent. When I left uni but before I moved to Athens, I worked in a lettings agency for a few months.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:43 pm

!!!

I may have found your forever home - a genuinely pretty little development in a Glasgow suburb. It's spacious, quiet, private parking, two beds, master en suite, French windows from the living room to a lovely secluded green garden, attractive dining area overlooking said garden, absolutely no work needing done to it, 125k...

https://www.s1homes.com/Flats-for-sale/2019101823380110.shtml
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:09 am

Your efforts are very much appreciated.

I should say though, I've got to sell my current house first. That will take at least 9 months to do, I think, and I need to finish decluttering it, so I'm at least 3 months from putting it on the market.

When I do exchange contracts, I then have to work my 3 months' notice at work. So even in the shortest scenario I won't be heading north till May 2021.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:01 pm

You're welcome, it's fun. Isn't the last one there absolutely lovely? That's a really nice flat, very smart en suite. Living there would almost feel like being on holiday.

Well, it gives an idea of how eminently doable it's all going to be. I look forward to this thread filling up with exciting emigration plans we can all enjoy vicariously.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:When I do exchange contracts, I then have to work my 3 months' notice at work. So even in the shortest scenario I won't be heading north till May 2021.

Of course I could give notice at work earlier, but if the house sale fell through, I'd be stranded, trying to sell the house and running through savings that were meant to support me in the land of freedom. I prefer the known cost and delay of waiting till contracts are exchanged, or even till completion. Limited downside, that's what it's all about.
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:52 pm

So it's definitely north of the Clyde Glasgow? No Dundee, no Edinburgh, no other locations?
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:00 pm

cosmictanya wrote:!!!

I may have found your forever home - a genuinely pretty little development in a Glasgow suburb. It's spacious, quiet, private parking, two beds, master en suite, French windows from the living room to a lovely secluded green garden, attractive dining area overlooking said garden, absolutely no work needing done to it, 125k...

https://www.s1homes.com/Flats-for-sale/2019101823380110.shtml

I would quite happily live in this one myself if that was my price range. In fact, I'd be ecstatic with it. I can envisage myself when older, pottering about such a property, entertaining the odd toyboy and having the odd grandchild to stay for the summer tending to the garden, going on holiday in the winter when being abroad can work out cheaper than heating bills at home, and appreciating that its relatively new build status should cut down on the costs of maintaining everything decently.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Don't forget the Scottish.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:16 pm

That flat was the catalyst for much of my activity this evening. I've been looking at various suburban houses online and wondering what it might be like to live such a low key life, with two cars in the yard, life used to be so hard, etc.

I wonder if I'd enjoy it as a reality or whether I'd resent the whole thing and everyone involved in not having stopped me.

Oh, it's not cars, it's cats. I think that makes less sense than cars.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:53 am

cosmictanya wrote:
I wonder if I'd enjoy it as a reality or whether I'd resent the whole thing and everyone involved in not having stopped me.

I already live a low key suburban life so I wouldn't have qualms.

Edinburgh is out because of the inflated house prices and general over-popularity. I'm still entertaining the idea of Dundee but there are fewer jobs. I'll be watching the job situation over the next few months, and if there are more posts in the Dundee area over that period, my summer reconnaissance trip might be to there.

As it is though, I suspect if I did move there, I'd end up commuting to Glasgow anyway.

As to the complex time factors I alluded to earlier. Each month I stay where I am, I pile up more money and pension accruals, but, I get more wound up with the conditions on the job, and there's more chance of the current house needing expensive maintenance work. And I'm also vulnerable to the political developments you mentioned.

My calculations indicate that it's better to stay only if I can be sure I won't completely flip out and work and do something that makes it difficult to get another job, in Scotland or elsewhere.
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next