Coronavirus :dontpanic: - Page 2 Empty Re: Coronavirus :dontpanic:

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:18 pm

scared

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:18 pm

No signs of empty shelves round my way. I think it's too working class to panic. box

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Unusually, my partner and I are in total agreement. We've told everyone that the office is closed as of now, and face to face meetings with all clients are suspended until the end of the month. They'll be on full pay at home, with no tasks that can't be completed on a laptop or by telephone.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
cosmictanya wrote:Fastest ever stock market plunge...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51829852

Yes, I've made a paper loss of £800, and a real one of £40, because one fund is being closed and returning investors' money.

It could have been much worse, I sold the bulk of my investments four weeks ago after that false rumour of a vaccine. Best investing decision I ever made.

Meanwhile, in my local Tescos on the way home

Coronavirus :dontpanic: - Page 2 20200310

God, that's frightening. What did you manage to get at Tesco? I hope you aren't faced with the prospect of sacrificing old T-shirts to use in the loo.

I know that somewhat smug by accident feeling - I sold a whole load of bank shares because I desperately needed the cash, before Northern Rock heralded the coming crisis.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:47 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:No signs of empty shelves round my way. I think it's too working class to panic. box

I hope you have some supplies at home. Might be worth taking a wander round the nearest supermarket to see what you want while they still have stock. There's bound to be something you don't have and won't notice until it's too late.

A friend of mine had a facelift a couple of weeks ago, and is now self isolating due to having been open wounded in hospital without precautions. It's all very worrying. My mother has rheumatoid arthritis and I'm quite concerned about it.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:41 pm

Every stage on Broadway has gone dark. It can't be long until the same happens here. My most looked forward to event of the year is looking shakier by the hour.

Coronavirus :dontpanic: - Page 2 ?scode=mtistory2&fname=http%3A%2F%2Fcfile6.uf.tistory

A reflection of my own emotions about the prospect.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 pm

cosmictanya wrote: What did you manage to get at Tesco? I hope you aren't faced with the prospect of sacrificing old T-shirts to use in the loo.

I got a bottle of single malt whisky, which is what I came in for, and 4 tins of mackerel and 2 packs of crackers, which I thought I'd better get after I saw the pasta aisle.

And some samosas and bhajis from the chuck-out chiller.

And as regards yr other question, luckily I have 36 rolls in the no-deal stash, and afte that, I've got plenty of scrap paper.
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Well that sounds very sensible.

As a family we had nominated my mothers fridge as no deal ground zero because she's got one of those double American things. It's absolutely packed with frozen items in clingfilm and plastic bags. There's even a selection of frozen sushi squashed into an ice cube tray, which was my sons contribution. Personally I can't bear the stuff and would rather starve. I have unfortunately allowed my no deal supply of cigarettes to collapse - at the height of the stash, I had three months worth.

I hope Wendi has taken herself off to those heaving shelves of Sheffield while she can.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 pm

I only have a tiny little freezer. It's about 18" by 12". bawl

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Share with the neighbours? You could all focus on different food groups. Someone might even have a chest style freezer that they currently keep an ex husband in.

My fridge is also the smallest type they had without it being one of those waist high one door things. At least get your loo rolls and multipacks of crisps and crackers in.

Perhaps a spare eyeliner and mascara in case you run out and have to go to hospital while they've shut down all non food related shops. Things like that for peace of mind.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:32 pm

I've got some more of my new favourite oud wood and geranium candles arriving, so I won't have to go without richly scented air and the romantic crackling sound if I'm dying.

Eco soy by Bamboo for those who wish to try them in their own homes. Very competitively priced for such a high quality product - beginning at just £6.99 for a small one.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:57 pm

I think the next communication from the school will be that it's closing. I believe Macron has announced this evening that all schooling is suspended. Various parents on round robin emails etc tonight saying as much. Nothing from his football group or cookery class as of tonight. His gym is still operating which is great - it's very hard to find supervised but parent free sessions for under 16's. I went to KX for a time and the reason I didn't renew my membership (aside from the fee being eye watering) was that he wasn't allowed in, even if I was there.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:06 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:I only have a tiny little freezer. It's about 18" by 12". bawl

Is that the icebox of a fridge, or a plucky little standalone tabletop freezer?

Goodness, it's so complicated

http://www.euenergylabels.com/EU-Regulation-1060-2010-fridge-freezer-labels.htm

but basically the blue stars mean how cold it is, and the white star means it's capable of freezing stuff down to the emboxed blue star rating (which is always 3 blue stars in every example I've ever seen)

I seem to very vaguely remember an additional no-star rating for a mere 'icemaking compartment', but if that ever existed, it doesn't seem to be acknowledged now.
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Yeah, right, of course I'll look after your food while all the shops are empty, you can trust me.

evil2

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Does Tescos and Sainsburys seem to attract a certain type of self asorbed clientele? I swear its only these chains that are getting swamped by panic buyers. At least round here the Morrisons, Lidls and Aldis are well stocked. The little hand santizers have seemly all but vanished now, I've not seen them in any shop regardless of chain for a while.

cosmictanya wrote:I've been dying to go to Bucharest for a weekend, particularly to tour the private home of the Ceausescu monsters. My new book on the children of 20th century dictators includes a great section on those three.

Return flights are sub £50 and everything else is equally bargain priced. I can't justify booking it because I don't want to find myself locked in quarantine in a Romanian public health facility. It's all so inconvenient.

Yeah screw getting stuck there in a pandemic but it is a wonderful city, hopefully you'll get a chance to visit soon. It's a place genuinely worthy of the term beguiling. Once you get past the Ceausescu stuff -which also has merit i think- It's all crumbling 20s moderne apartments, ornate French and moorish styled villas from 19th century and lovely secluded garden bars. Tarted up enough so it's not depressing but not so gentrifyied it's  

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
I only have a tiny little freezer. It's about 18" by 12"

I think it's fine, if you have to 'stockpile' or whatevs then most goods should really be the tinned, dried or vacuum packed stuff that don't require any freezing or chilling. If you must, then reserve the freezer exclusively for a few dairy staples that will go a long way even once opened e.g salted butter or a wedge of parmesan.

In general I'd recommed getting tinned green-beans from somewhere like B&M or Morrisons (Lidl/aldi never have the tinned variety anymore). They're (imo) the best staple to have as far as tinned green veg are concerned. Lovely with some grated parm and a dash of hendersons relish or worcsotororscesterhire sauce or just with some hot sauce on top.
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:55 am

Fangirl Three wrote:
The Call of the Wendigo wrote:I only have a tiny little freezer. It's about 18" by 12". bawl

Is that the icebox of a fridge, or a plucky little standalone tabletop freezer?
It's a little icebox in a fridge.

It's insanely cold. Even at its lowest setting, it's like the North Pole in there.

Come to think of it, on the few occasions where I've inadvertently turned it up full, everything in the entire fridge has frozen solid within hours, so I suppose I could turn the entire fridge into a freezer by doing that.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:57 am

Helium wrote:
The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
I only have a tiny little freezer. It's about 18" by 12"

I think it's fine, if you have to 'stockpile' or whatevs then most goods should really be the tinned, dried or vacuum packed stuff that don't require any freezing or chilling. If you must, then reserve the freezer exclusively for a few dairy staples that will go a long way even once opened e.g salted butter or a wedge of parmesan.

In general I'd recommend getting tinned green-beans from somewhere like B&M or Morrisons (Lidl/aldi never have the tinned variety anymore). They're (imo) the best staple to have as far as tinned green veg are concerned. Lovely with some grated parm and a dash of hendersons relish or worcsotororscesterhire sauce or just with some hot sauce on top.
Thanks you, Helium, if shortages start to appear at my local Heron, I shall now know what to do. happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:18 am

I love how everything in your kitchen is so full-on. 17 spoonfuls of curry powder in your sauce, an icebox capable of freezing solid everything in reach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:19 am

I still feel a bit rough. I'm going to self isolate next week as well, as I don't want propa Cov-19 straight after this.

I don't think is Coronavirus I've got. dunno

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:48 pm

pet

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down