Holiday 2020

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Holiday 2020 Empty Holiday 2020

Post by Fangirl Three Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:10 am

I'm in one of those new Premier Inns which doesn't have a bath, just a glass-sided shower enclosure.

It's all very modern, but you have to be careful to look straight ahead when using the t**let, because if you look sideways you can see a reflection of yourself on it. ugh
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Holiday 2020 Empty Re: Holiday 2020

Post by cosmictanya Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:44 pm

When I was a child we had a full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door, and it did face the loo. I learned to smoke elegantly and sit in different ways to different effect while sitting there with the lid down.

I don't know why hotel rooms are doing this. Considering how often they're used for affairs or one night stands, I can't see any appeal in the loo being visible from all around the room. Repulsive.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:52 pm

That's possibly why I'm very silhouette orientated now I come to think of it. I have a vehement hatred of A-line skirts. I've seen how they drape and what they look like to others while you're sitting in various positions.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:23 pm

Just to be clear, the loo isn't visible from the whole room, it's in the bathroom, which has a door which you can close.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:08 pm

As I said elsewhere I could go to Tallinn to see a pop group at the end of August, I think they're playing Riga the day after, I could go to Tallinn spend a couple of days there hire a car go to Riga, remember to drive on the wrong side of the road, lol! Spend the day there, back to Tallinn, and maybe drive over to Leningrad St. Petersburg as that looks pretty.

bounce

It's not going to happen. sad yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:50 pm

I wouldn't go to St. Petersburg.

Nasty, aggressive city.

Also, girls from the Baltic nations are so very...

blush

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Is it worth it just now? At best you might have your flight cancelled, at worst it might be your return flight and then you'd be stuck there. In lockdown in a room decorated with that dark wood veneer they seem to go in for, set off with random floral patterns, a vase of red and white and possibly even yellow carnations, net curtains, and one of those furry blankets in some kind of animal pattern. 

I think St Petersburg would only be pretty in the snow. It looks a bit grotty actually. I find all things Russia quite frightening, and I've got no idea why they don't wash their cars, it all appears so unkempt. The first time I went behind the late Iron Curtain an old caretaker walked into my bedroom in the early hours, retrieved an orange plastic bucket from the wardrobe, squatted to sh*t in it, threw the contents out of the window, put the bucket back, and left. I wouldn't have minded but she didn't even smile or say hello.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:22 pm

Have you driven on that side of the road before? An interesting thread perhaps. I hate it, and would now only do so if my life depended on it. Everything feels off balance - and being right handed, I prefer my right hand being nearest the door. Post crash, using your weaker hand/arm to get the door open would just be an extra complication.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Holiday 2020 185283118
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:35 pm

cosmictanya wrote:Have you driven on that side of the road before? An interesting thread perhaps. I hate it, and would now only do so if my life depended on it. Everything feels off balance - and being right handed, I prefer my right hand being nearest the door. Post crash, using your weaker hand/arm to get the door open would just be an extra complication.

The only place in foreign I've driven in Australia, and they drive on the left. But do use Kilometres per hour, which is a bit confusing as it means nothing to me in any practice sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:30 am

I've driven on the right in Florida. It's usually okay as on the very many duel carriageways you're just following the flow of the traffic and it could almost be here, until you need to overtake on the left, which is a bit weird but you get used to it. My lane positioning is always very poor to start off with - I seem to remember a website specifically for Brits in Florida even had a section about British people always driving too far over to the right in a lane, such is its commonness. Having an automatic helps with the whole experience and lessens the complications of actual gear changing with the "wrong" hand.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:39 am

I'd been planning to go away for a holiday for my *landmark* birthday later this year but I'm not sure if/how I'll be able to. It was only going to be this country but even if we're out of lockdown travel and accommodation isn't exactly going to be easy.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:00 am

As I'm broke I do feel somewhat better -in a way- knowing that I can't go anywhere even if I wanted to, and knowing no one else can go anywhere either and everything is shut; no fomo and all that ha.

I really want to save up and go abroad but I feel like its all going to hit the fan in the next 12-18 months so that any notion of a holiday, abroad at least, is going to be off the cards. I'd be more inclined to stock up on non perishable foods at this point.
Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:43 am

No holiday for me since February 2014.

Scotland.

Worst ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:03 am

No hols for me either. I'd be afraid all the hotels would be closed down by a second wave of the plague while I was away.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:42 pm

Three fingered taxi drivers, test*cle soup, and armed checkpoints...

That's not a wig, it's a traditional hat.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:03 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:No hols for me either. I'd be afraid all the hotels would be closed down by a second wave of the plague while I was away.

Same. I'd be worried about the airline collapsing, or ending up in a hospital barely worthy of the title. Last year I was in Armenia, Los Angeles, Madrid x2, Sardinia, Rome, Brussels x2, Bahrain, Milan, New York/Connecticut, Marbella, and Morocco. I think that's all. My son also separately managed Provence x2, New York x2, Turks and Caicos, Bosnia, Vienna, and Paris. We'll have to be content with the memories for the foreseeable future.

I'm not very good with restricted horizons but if I think about it, I'll panic. I found very cheap flights to Bucharest last month and I'm so relieved I didn't go. Being stuck there in this situation would be a nightmare. I was looking for a picturesque thatched cottage in this country, within reach of Bath and Monkeyworld. That now seems overly optimistic and even if possible, irresponsible.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Butterfield, that's such a shame. I hope you treat yourself to something else you enjoy. Maybe you could splash out on lots of great plants for the garden. I'm still a bit down about my theatre tickets, so I'm trying to reframe it positively as a welcome measure to keep Timmy safe and well.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Helium Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:24 am

Butterfield wrote:I'd been planning to go away for a holiday for my *landmark* birthday later this year but I'm not sure if/how I'll be able to. It was only going to be this country but even if we're out of lockdown travel and accommodation isn't exactly going to be easy.

If it's later in the year hopefully there might be some sort of a process figured out domestically so millions of people don't go stir crazy by mid July.

I suppose you could do what I'm doing and just pretending this year doesn't actually exist and will now forever claim you are one year younger than you actually are. It's rather chic I think shifty

Helium
Helium

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:59 am

I have a landmark birthday this year. But I don't mind not being able to celebrate it, because I don't want to be *0 anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next