flibbington2.0
Nik
Nightjar
Fangirl Three
The Call of the Wendigo
9 posters

Page 33 of 50 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41 ... 50  Next

Go down

What's happening in your life? - Page 33 Empty Re: What's happening in your life?

Post by cosmictanya Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Oh god, I'm so sorry.

Maybe you can go tonight - I've found hospitals are pretty accommodating outside visiting hours if you just want to go in quietly and hold a hand.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

What's happening in your life? - Page 33 Empty Re: What's happening in your life?

Post by Nightjar Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:56 pm

He's being moved to St. Mary's.

Meeting my Mum there later.

He's conscious, he can move his toes, which is something I suppose.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 pm

It is very upsetting. sad yes

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Our thoughts are with you, Nightie - and with him. sad yes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Indeed they are. There's not a lot of comfort to be said in writing, just that it can be a privilege to show someone that they're much loved.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:37 am

Just got back from the hoscible.

He was admitted to the "Resus Ward" at St. Mary's at about 9:30pm and was still there when we left about 1am, pending a move to the Major Trauma Ward overnight.

Internal organ damage not as bad as at first feared and, as yet, no sign of nerve damage from his neck fracture.

However, multiple fractures - neck, shoulder, wrist, several ribs and his hip is broken in multiple places.

Severe bruising and inflammation of his bladder meaning he can't p*e and a catheter can't be inserted, so a urologist will be consulted regarding a possible...

God.

Whatever.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:11 am

What a shame, he must be in agony. I hope he (and the rest of you) have had some decent sleep overnight.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:15 pm

So, my Grandpa abides.

4-5 hours of invasive, potentially life-threatening, surgery today.

The surgeons had to assess things as they progressed, in real time, when they operated, as to whether his body and vital functions were able to handle one, two or even three possible consecutive procedures in order of priority.

1) Repairing an intracapsular femoral fracture (illustration below).

What's happening in your life? - Page 33 COTR4aF

2) Fixing and securing several ribs.

3) Operating on/alleviating a very badly bruised kidney that won't drain, meaning he can't pee, meaning in turn that his bladder can't drain and creating a domino-effect of symptoms.

Anyway, from what I can ascertain, he's been strong enough to endure all three consecutive operations and is now in the intensive recovery unit where he'll be monitored constantly.

He is now conscious, but groggy.

Several other injuries will have to heal naturally over time, specifically his broken ulna/wrist.

Last edited by Nightjar on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Also, the hospital informed me earlier that the company employing the driver called them to sniff about for information.

Obviously they told them that no such information could be released to anyone but family members, but called me to pass on the number of the person who called.

Turns out it was someone employed by multinational logistics corporation Kuehne Nagel.

The so-called Senior QSHE (quality, safety, health, environment) I spoke to was valiant in his efforts to be contrite and down-to-earth, but I let him know that, as things stood - at that point in time - my Grandpa was facing potentially life-threatening surgery for multiple, severe injuries and that in future his organisation would be most likely to be contacted by the police or legal representatives regarding updates in my Grandpa's condition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:45 pm

hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:29 pm

disappoint

Last edited by Nightjar on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 pm

get her neigh whaat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:50 am

It's bad enough your grandad being in hospital, without you having to deal with corporate skulduggery.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:51 pm

After having surgery on Friday to fix his hip and ribs it was decided he have another CAT scan to check his kidney - this revealed that no procedure on his kidney was necessary.

He became conscious on Friday evening and, according to my Mum and ex-wife, who visited him last night, he was sat up in bed, comfortable as can be expected and chatting away and joking right as rain. box

I shall be visiting him later on this early evening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Got back from 'oscible.

My dreary cousin was there and then my ex-wife turned up.

My Grandpa seemed pretty good - sat up, chatty, feisty (giving me a hard a time in any event) and joking about (one joke in particular was genuinely hilarious).

A nurse came by to give him some painkillers at one point and said that he was the loveliest person on the whole ward.

Everywhere he goes he charms them all into submission.

It's going to be a long road to anything close to an effective rehabilitation, but his powers of physical recovery are uncanny - for example, yesterday when my Mum and ex-missus were there he was able to sit up and swivel around to the edge of the bed so the nurse could change the bed linen.

This is a 98-year-old man that's suffered a shattered hip, multiple rib fractures, a broken ulna and wrist, bruised and inflamed kidneys and who's had 5 hours of surgery the previous day.

That's what a half a bitter shandy a week'll do for you! box

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:48 pm

That's a point, I need to get some shandy in for chrimbo!

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Great news that he's holding up well.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:10 pm

My copy of Who on Red Blue and White vinyl has just turned up! Excited

:Mod: :ThisGuitarHasMomentsToLive: :BookResearch:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Excited

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:17 am

I'm really a bit shocked this morning.

Not having Facebook, things take longer to reach me - I've just been told by a friend in a different time zone that, just over a year ago, a very entertaining Italian conman I knew and enjoyed, died in a car crash in Cambridgeshire.

I feel terrible for him and his family. I feel guilty that I didn't know - I hadn't noticed we hadn't spoken for over a year. I can't believe such a cute and sparky little chap has gone. He brought indulgent smiles to all except husbands and boyfriends.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 50 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41 ... 50  Next