When did you last see a Milk Float?

5 posters

Go down

Take my hand, come with me, baby, to Love Land Let me show you how sweet it could be

When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_lcap14%When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_lcap14%When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_lcap29%When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_lcap0%When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_lcap0%When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_lcap43%When did you last see a Milk Float? I_vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

When did you last see a Milk Float? Empty When did you last see a Milk Float?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:33 pm

Back to top Go down

When did you last see a Milk Float? Empty Re: When did you last see a Milk Float?

Post by Fangirl Three Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:52 pm

My neighbours have milk delivered - it comes in a vehicle which has the shape of the traditional milk float, but is petrol powered rather than electric, and it's bigger, about the size of a supermarket delivery van. I have cast one vote on the basis that that vehicle counts as a milk float. I see it if I happen to be awake about 2.30am, which is every other week or so.

If that vehicle doesn't count as a milk float, then we're in speculative territory. The last reference in the Fangirl Diaries to putting the milk bottles out is from August 1994. I was still living at my Fanparents' house then, and certainly when I started housekeeping independently in 1997, I didn't even consider having milk delivered, I fetched it from the supermarket as a matter of course.

So let's assume the last time I actually saw a milk float wasn't much later than 1997, which would justify my other vote for 'I've not seen one in decades now you mention it'.
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

When did you last see a Milk Float? Empty Re: When did you last see a Milk Float?

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:20 pm

I don't think I've seen a milk float in around twenty years.

It irked me that it was driving round the other side of the estate but didn't venture into our half.

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 pm

Milk float?

Milk Cup more like! Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:09 pm

A traditional open-aired electric milk float used to deliver our milk when I was growing up and it was the same milkman from when I was born until I was probably in my mid 20s when he retired, along with the milk float. He then died.

Having a bedroom on the front of the house I remember as a child on occasion waking up in the middle of the night and hearing that unique whirring sound, coupled with the light clatter of the milk bottles. Gosh, I'm getting nostalgic all of a sudden.

This got replaced with a loud diesel van and actual slamming doors in the middle of the night. bash
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:31 am

No idea. Decades ago - probably when Kat Slater arrived on Albert Square.

We do get the odd horse drawn delivery round here, but I've no idea if milk is on the carriage.

It used to be great if you got off the nightbus in Sloane Street because various milks, creams and newspapers used to be waiting on almost every doorstep and you could pick up one of each on your way home.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:56 am

Butterfield wrote:it was the same milkman from when I was born until I was probably in my mid 20s when he retired, along with the milk float. He then died.

bawl

Having a bedroom on the front of the house I remember as a child on occasion waking up in the middle of the night and hearing that unique whirring sound, coupled with the light clatter of the milk bottles

I had a similarly located bedroom and I had the exact same memory when reading this thread.
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:39 am

All the milk floats in London are those Bentley 4X4s now.

Gun metal grey, tinted windows.

Surly, thick set drivers in dark suits.

Only deliver almond/hazelnut/oat/coconut/rice/ragdoll cat milk.

And clotted cream.

With gold leaf in.

sad yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down