The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread.

5 posters

Page 1 of 50 1, 2, 3 ... 25 ... 50  Next

Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Empty The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread.

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:24 pm

I had the (mis)fortune of hearing Fleetwood Mac's legendary album Rumours all the way through for the first time today. Of course, I already historically knew a number of the songs, but from its legendary status and the fact it's still always in the charts 40 years since its release I expected to be literally blown away by it. But that wan't the case. I was largely weary of it after the first few tracks and found it all mostly very plain, the instruments all sound flat and the vocals are mediocre. It's basically just a jingly folk album. Even Mick Fleetwood only co-wrote one song - The Chain - which is perhaps the best song on the album - if you ignore the boring first part. And the Corrs did a better version of Dreams. evil

I even tried to think how I'd have felt hearing it for the first time when it was fresh in 1977 - and even then I think I'd have found it boring and would have expected a better production.

Tango In The Night > Rumours

3/10
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Empty Re: The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread.

Post by Guest Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:27 pm

I've heard Tusk.

Boring music for grown-ups.

Back to top Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Empty Re: The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread.

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Ooh, it seems the UK singles-buying public agreed with me at the time - the famous Go Your Own Way and Don't Stop only reached numbers 38 and 32 in the charts respectively, Dreams number 24. box
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:31 pm

All 10 reviews listed on Wikipedia give the album 10/10, 5/5 or an A! llama

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumours_(album)#Critical_reception
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:33 pm

I'm going to add my 3/10 score for it to the list. evil2

type
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:51 pm

I did a running commentary on Rumours on the old forum. We can find it right here: http://hallofthewendigo.informe.com/forum/the-music-room-f40/the-album-running-commentary-thread-t4775-756.html#p70944

Excited

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:51 pm

Now to look back at that thread and see what I made of it. Excited

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:55 pm

I seemed to agree with Buttertubs.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Oh yes, so you did.

I missed the castanets. Colbert

Did Mick Fleetwood, as the resident percussionist, play them too?
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:59 pm

it all lacks a certain oomph!

Sums it up very well.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm

Butterfield wrote:Did Mick Fleetwood, as the resident percussionist, play them too?

Is that what's dangling from his middlebits?

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. 71YQa%2BdEhwL._SL1426_
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Photoshoot outtakes!!!!! gasp

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. 13955498175_8da6b6bf8d_b

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. 51pbG2GwSJL
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:05 pm

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Large
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:06 pm

It has to be said that Mick Fleetwood is best photographed from the side than the front.

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Fleetwood-mac
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri May 03, 2019 8:29 pm

I'm parking this here for later use.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Butterfield wrote:The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Fleetwood-mac

I would propose that for an NHOTW Get Together Pic entry, but the interpersonal dynamics are wrong (unless things are going on behind the scenes here on the NHOTW that I'm unaware of).
Fangirl Three
Fangirl Three

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 9:01 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:Now to look back at that thread and see what I made of it. Excited

Call_of_the_Wendigo wrote:It is weird how this band seems to be named after its two least important members Sly

Call_of_the_Wendigo wrote:Here they are, stood at the back while the important people play:

Rim shot guitar banana

'A band is the bass and drums, the rest is ornamentation' - Nick Mason of Pink Floyd drum banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:I'm parking this here for later use.

I'm in!

Is this on at the right speed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2019 9:03 pm

This is terrible! He's just listing Beatles songs! and it's so plodding Nick Mason would find it drab sad yes

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:I'm parking this here for later use.

I'm in too. Excited

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 50 1, 2, 3 ... 25 ... 50  Next