Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Do you hate your computer?

Go down 
+4
cosmictanya
Fangirl Three
Nightjar
The Call of the Wendigo
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm

My laptop has taken to slowing dramatically at 7 o'clock every night and I don't have a clue why. bawl

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 11:32 pm

Nightjar wrote:
I was on Mojave for ages.

I didn't lose anything.

I desperately want to reinstall it, but I'm not sure how to.

I've been looking at this site...

https://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-macos#boot

...but my computer won't let me download Mojave. bawl

I don't think NJ will ever be able to get back onto the Interwebs. sad yes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 11:34 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:
My laptop has taken to slowing dramatically at 7 o'clock every night and I don't have a clue why. bawl

Is it doing updates?

Have you checked your chrontab? get her
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 11:41 pm

I am actually pretty upset by this.

It was very naive of me to DL Catalina without doing some research first, but I guess that I've never before had to contemplate losing hundreds of ££ worth of software permanently before simply on the basis of clicking an update button. sad yes

Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 9:56 am

WhatDoesThisButtonDo? wrote:

Is it doing updates?
No, I install them manually.

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 5:25 pm

I tried not one, but two old computers today, and they wouldn't start, I think the section of the power supply isn't working for the hard drive on one, and well the other started, crashed and wouldn't come on. I think it's CPU is over heating.

killcomputer
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 6:14 pm

pet

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 8df87610

I've still not updated to Catalina. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 13, 2019 2:24 am

I'm very impressed that you have your menu bar on the left.

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 13, 2019 2:25 am

It should be pop-up though. aristojar

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 8:31 pm

I've given up on my old G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Powersmack, that's going down the recycling centre next week. Case is too bent*, and only one of the front CPU fans is working, and that's motherboard not fan related.

I've also given up on the PegasosII Motherboard, it keeps overheating, and I don't know why, changed the fan, changed the heatsink compound, I think it's gone some sort of over voltage over heating it. That'll be the CPU/Mutherboard/Fancy OS going on eBay, 'untested' next week. evil2

So what do I do with that case and 450w PSU I bought recently, I could get a little cheap MicroATX MB/CPU and run gasp Windows10 for my little computer games that don't work on Catolina anymore.

Suppose I could try Linux again, it's time for my every 4 years attempt at Linux to see what doesn't work anymore.

*well it was, when I had to force the old hard drives out. evil2

Last edited by WhatDoesThisButtonDo? on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 pm

type

Everything's changed since 2004 when I last built a computer! What the bloomin' heck is a Ryzen CPU??

dontpanic
Back to top Go down
The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 9:20 pm

Ooh yes, when I was watching lots of videos about computers, the other month, everyone was going on about Ryzen CPUs. Excited

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 9:20 pm

Aren't they cheaper than old CPUs, or faster, or stronger, or something? Excited

The Call of the Wendigo
Admin
The Call of the Wendigo

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Here's that man who makes three-hour long videos, building a Ryzen computer, live, before our eyes. Excited

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 27, 2019 11:02 am

type

Apparently I can't even use my old DDR1 memory, oh no more expense!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Here's that man who makes three-hour long videos, building a Ryzen computer, live, before our eyes. Excited

Can't believe I watched the whole thing. shifty

I think I'll get away with a Ryzen 3, something like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCL-4-0GHz-AMD-Quad-Core-Ryzen-3-3200G-Bundle-Gigabyte-A320M-S2H-Motherboard/113810109083

Hmm, it's doin' me nut in! there's so many options, and for a little bit more money you can get something better, but is it worth it? blah blah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 20, 2019 9:11 am

It occurred to me the other day, instead of building a computer I could just Bootcamp on my little Mac mini, and have a Windows partition I can use for my little video games. Cheaper, and I can declutter!

I've just checked, you can't get a propa copy of Windows 10 for less than £100.

S*d that for a game of soldiers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 11:57 pm

Actually you can get a copy on eBay for about £3 Must be legit, or else the code wouldn't work shifty

Anyway, I wanna put a copy of my music folder onto my NAS Drive so I'm using:

rsync -urlpt -vz --delete /Users/WhatDoesThisButtonDo?/Music/Music/Media/Music /Volumes/Public/Shared\ Music/

Seems to work okey, only problem is it takes twice as long as it should because it delete anything in foreign. then copies it back again, For example doing Amon Düül II Yeti:

deleting Music/Amon Du?\#210u?\#210l II/Yeti/1-12 Between the Eyes.mp3

Anything I can do to stop this? Or it just a limitation of the errr whatever Filesystem it is on the NAS drive? The files look okey when they've been copies over, ie shows Amon Düül II in the files, not 'Amon Du?\#210u?\#210l II'

Maybe I could experiment with that Automator thingy,
Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 Scree176

I've always wondered what that little guy was for.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 12:00 am

type

I'll watch this tomorrow, me go bed now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you hate your computer?   Do you hate your computer? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you hate your computer?
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next