The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 4!

3 posters

Page 21 of 50 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 35 ... 50  Next

Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 4! - Page 21 Empty Re: The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 4!

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2020 8:12 pm

I'll take that as yes then.

Excited

Back to top Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 4! - Page 21 Empty Re: The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 4!

Post by Nightjar Thu May 07, 2020 8:13 pm

scared

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu May 07, 2020 8:16 pm

I am braced for it. Excited

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu May 07, 2020 8:19 pm

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 4! - Page 21 48518309422_b25bc2565a

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Don't be convinced by the man on the Clapham omnibus that beyond 'Streets', 'Square' and 'Slaves' his novels aren't worth the bother

The introduction was written by JB Priestley, and he said just that.

He particularly slated the Gorse trilogy.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu May 07, 2020 9:51 pm

Something something he was just fly fishing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 pm

L to R: NL, Nightjar

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu May 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Of Patrick Hamilton, I have read:

20,000 Streets Under the Sky
Hangover Square
The Slaves of Solitude
Craven House
Twopence Coloured
The West Pier (part 1 of The Gorse Trilogy)
The West Pier (part 2 of The Gorse Trilogy) - halfway through...

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 pm

Like Gorse, 20,000 Streets Under the Sky is essentially three novels in one.

But unlike Gorse, which follows the infamous Gorse throughout various stages of his life, 'Streets' is three intertwined novels featuring three intertwined characters who all, at one time or another, work at or frequent, a pub in, what would now be called Fitzrovia, called the Midnight Bell.

The Midnight Bell: Bob's story.

The Siege of Pleasure: Jenny's story.

The Plains of Cement: Ella's story.

It's, personally, stunning and evocative  (as is Hangover Square) because it's set in a milieu that I know street by street, paving stone by paving stone.

20,000 streets is, taken as whole, a devastating work.

The way Hamilton depicts the awfulness of England, Englishness, the horrific, heart-rending realities of the class system, all-round wage-slavery and what was to be a woman of any 'station' is unmatched.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu May 07, 2020 10:13 pm

Taken as work in itself I'd say it's the best book I've read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2020 6:21 pm

We doing something at 7pm or are we all bored of this yet?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri May 08, 2020 6:31 pm

I'm available. I nominate Kim Wilde unless others want to do another album.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2020 6:32 pm

I wanna do 🐙 Or that Dancer with Bruce Lee one.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri May 08, 2020 6:42 pm

OK.

I've no idea what they are but we can do one of those. Excited

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri May 08, 2020 6:42 pm

7 o'clock?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2020 6:46 pm

yes

We did one of mine yesterday, so I think we should do Kimister at 8:30 and Dancer with Bruised Knees at 7pm

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri May 08, 2020 6:50 pm

OK.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 pm

I redid the track listing thingy for Pour Down like Silver by Richard and Linda Thompson.

It sounded boring.

sad yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri May 08, 2020 7:50 pm

What now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 50 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 35 ... 50  Next