Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited:

5 posters

Go down

Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited: Empty Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited:

Post by Butterfield Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:46 pm

Children's TV legend Dame Floella Benjamin has said she's "thrilled" that a new stage musical is to tell the story of her arrival in 1960s Britain.

floella floella tilt

Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited: _118125514_gettyimages-1206754478

Coming To England is based on her 1997 book about her journey from Trinidad and how she overcame the racism she encountered when she arrived.

It is being adapted by David Wood, one of her former co-presenters on classic children's TV show Play Away.

"It's about overcoming adversity, this story, and it's uplifting," she said.

Dame Floella moved to England with her family in 1960 at the age of 10, but was met by hostility and prejudice from classmates and neighbours.

The story is about "determination, never giving up, standing up to bullies, and standing up for what you believe in", she explained after the musical was announced.

Coming To England has already been turned into a BBC children's TV drama and used as a CBeebies Bedtime Story.

The theatre version will receive its premiere at the Birmingham Rep next February as part of the venue's 50th anniversary season, and will be aimed at family audiences.

"What I want them to get from it is understanding differences and what it's like to be different," Dame Floella, 71, told BBC News. "For various reasons, we might be different, whether it's our religion, the colour of our skin, the colour hair we've got, our size, whatever it is.

"I want them, when they come to see the show, to leave the theatre singing and dancing, and knowing that they too could change the world, and to feel inspired."

Dame Floella started her career on the stage before becoming a household name in the 1980s as the host of TV shows like Play School and Play Away. She was made a dame last year for her services to charity.

She will now help choose the actress who will play her younger self on stage. "I'm excited to find that Floella, and try to find my brothers and sisters," she said.

"I started off in showbusiness 50 years ago in the theatre, and so I know that feeling of auditioning and trying to persuade people that the part's for you.

"I'll be the producer now in the audience, watching people come on and telling me that they want the part. I think we've come full circle. Isn't that wonderful?"

Coming To England will run from 19 February to 6 March 2022, and Dame Floella has also been appointed the Birmingham Rep's patron of youth and education.

Other shows in the theatre's anniversary season will include What's New Pussycat?, a musical setting Henry Fielding's 1749 novel The History of Tom Jones to the hits of Sir Tom Jones; a 25th anniversary production of East Is East; and a revival of The Play What I Wrote.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56818967
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited: Empty Re: Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited:

Post by Butterfield Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm

I wonder if it will include an adaptation of her 1989 single.

Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited: R-9683058-1484694955-8292.jpeg
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited: Empty Re: Floella Benjamin: The Musical :excited:

Post by Butterfield Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm

Or the Play School theme tune.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 pm

Or that version of The Lion Sleeps Tonight from Play Away.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Or Brian Cant doing "The Birdie Song". Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:36 pm

floella floella tilt floella floella tilt floella

Baroness Floella Benjamin says David Bowie and his ex-wife Angie ‘tried seducing her into their bed’

The former Play School presenter, 72, claimed she turned down a night of passion with the couple after they set their sights on her at their star-studded Christmas party in 1973.

Baroness Floella claimed the Under Pressure singer, who was ‘at the height of his fame’ at the time, asked her: ‘Would you like to come upstairs with me? I want to offer you the world.

‘You can have anything you desire.’

She adds that following the exchange, American actress, Angie, who had an open marriage with Bowie, propositioned her.

Baroness Floella made the saucy revelations in her new book, What Are You Doing Here? My Autobiography, published earlier this month.

She also reveals in the memoir that she has ‘joked ever since about the night I turned down David Bowie’.

Floella was starring in Jesus Christ Superstar when a cast member who had worked as a backing singer of Bowie invited her to the party, which was held in Bowie and Angie’s Chelsea home that they shared with their son Duncan, now 51.

Fellow guests included Sir Mick Jagger, Cat Stevens and Marc Bolan, which made Floella feel like ‘Alice in Wonderland’.

She added in her book: ‘When David Bowie walked into the room, slim and charismatic, all eyes were drawn to him. He came straight over to me and bowed. “May I have this dance?” he said.’

She admitted that she was stunned that he made a beeline for her and that while she does not remember the slow song they danced to, she has ‘never forgotten the way he moved.’

She then explained that she then saw Bowie’s wife Angie, now 72, ‘float into the room’ before looking at her and announcing: ‘Well now I’ve seen my New Year’s present!’

Floella added that she felt ‘vulnerable’ as the situation ‘wasn’t her scene’.
https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/24/david-bowie-and-his-wife-angie-tried-to-seduce-floella-benjamin-16884466/
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:33 pm

Kenneth

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:24 pm

Under pressure indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:34 pm

I wonder what she said?

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:41 am

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff wrote:I wonder what she said?

Spoiler:

I thought this was going to be a Play School-related pun, like "You Cant have me". But still, very clever.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:42 am

I bet Bowie felt like a right Humpty.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:43 am

To get away from him, Floella had to climb out of the square window.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:44 am

She didn't want to Play Away.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:24 am

Butterfield wrote:I bet Bowie felt like a right Humpty.

I imagine he was quite hambled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down