Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

The forum in which all human experience resides. Especially for fans of the now-deceased original Hall of the Wendigo. Still Number One with the core demographic.

HomePortalSearchView new postsThe Hall of the Wendigo Emergency BlogRegisterLog in

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other

Go down 
+3
Nightjar
The Call of the Wendigo
Butterfield
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Nightjar

Nightjar

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:11 pm

Nightjar wrote:
And let's not even get started on their respective flags...

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 Fdava7O

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EO4sIm4

blah blah

Incidentally, I do know the difference between Slovakia and Slovenia and can discern the difference between the flags.

Cos I'm not a moron. yes

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:19 pm

Yes, it’s obvious, but still shouldn’t be encouraged. More flags should use more interesting colours - a predominantly pink one might be nice - like Gua Musang. I like the North Macedonian flag.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:21 pm

Slovakia is the Slovakian part of the former Czechoslovakia.

The more easterly part.

It is considered a central European country.

Slovenia is the most North-Westerly of the Balkan peninsular and former Yugoslavia.

I think it was the first nation to declare itself independent (along with Croatia?) from that strange Stalin-Soviet trouble-clump after the Yugoslavian civil war.

I'm guessing however that the "Slov" part of name country's names derives from "Slav" or "Slavia" as in the Slavic peoples.

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:22 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Slovakia is the Slovakian part of the former Czechoslovakia.

The more easterly part.

It is considered a central European country.

Slovenia is the most North-Westerly of the Balkan peninsular and former Yugoslavia.

I think it was the first nation to declare itself independent (along with Croatia?) from that strange Stalin-Soviet trouble-clump after the Yugoslavian civil war.

I'm guessing however that the "Slov" part of name country's names derives from "Slav" or "Slavia" as in the Slavic peoples.

In other news, the pope is Catholic.

I’d like to know why they use a Byzantine cross when they are themselves predominantly Catholic. Pretentious w-anchors.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:27 pm

cosmictanya wrote:
Yes, it’s obvious, but still shouldn’t be encouraged. More flags should use more interesting colours - a predominantly pink one might be nice - like Gua Musang. I like the North Macedonian flag.

I agree that too many former Soviet Bloc countries use that basic horizontal white-blue-red background.

It kind of ties them unfortunately to the pitiful pariah state from which they broke free in the first place.

Croatia don't have quite the same horizontal colour-order, but it essentially the same.

I guess that at least they have semi-interesting coats of arms on them at least (the Croat checkerboard pattern is unmistakable).

The current Russian flag is h8ful.

That said, Serbia seem genuinely proud with the connection.

Shame really, they were our allies in WWII.

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:30 pm

Yes the checkerboard would be much better for them. The flag of Cartago Colombia would be a softer look for one of those countries, rather than all this Russian heaviness.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:33 pm

Also, all the other former Yugoslavian states have cool flags.

As you state, there's the demented sunburst of (North) Macedonia that everyone likes.

Montenegro has a more regal gold-edged red flag with a quite splendid double-headed eagle coat of arms.

Then there's Bosnia- Herzegovina and Kosovo which ditch the red and white for blues and yellows and all stars and diagonal lines.

Kosovo even go as far as doing a 'Cyprus' and putting a firmly defined outline of their (slightly) tenuous nation status on their flag. box

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:37 pm

Belarus is the joker in the pack.

Governmentally a total Putin-crony-nation, but, yes - what a beautiful flag.

Them and Uzbekistan.

The 'we're dead f*cking proud of our carpets' countries. box

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:41 pm

And den...

Arguably, the best of them all.

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 OpMyR36

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:48 pm

I know in Slovakia the ducks say "Quick" "Quick"

disco duck

cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:54 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Belarus is the joker in the pack.

Governmentally a total Putin-crony-nation, but, yes - what a beautiful flag.

Them and Uzbekistan.

The 'we're dead f*cking proud of our carpets' countries. box

Yes, I like the carpet flags.

It’s just very sad they can’t get out from under. Russia is such a creepy country. Everything about it just sits wrongly with me. A Google image search of ‘Russian interior design’ is my equivalent of watching a horror film.
Back to top Go down
cosmictanya

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:55 pm

Nightjar wrote:
And den...

Arguably, the best of them all.

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 OpMyR36

Going there at the end of the summer. I’ve actually been to Tirana so I’m not going to Tirana.
Back to top Go down
Nightjar

Nightjar

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 10:59 pm

Durrës is supposed to be nice.

My neighbours say so anyway.

They have beautiful mountains inland, but I imagine hiking about in a bracing, rugged fashion isn't so much your bag.

You bag.

cosmictanya

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2024 11:16 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Durrës is supposed to be nice.

My neighbours say so anyway.

They have beautiful mountains inland, but I imagine hiking about in a bracing, rugged fashion isn't so much your bag.

You bag.

I’m going further down the coast - Sarandë.

Hiking is definitely not my bag.

You slag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other   Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Towns, cities and countries you get mixed up with each other
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9