Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hotellery - Page 2 Empty Re: Hotellery

Post by Nightjar Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:53 am

Never knowingly over-soiled...

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:52 pm

I've done so many Premier Inn feedback surveys that they've asked me to join their online focus group. bowtie

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri May 12, 2023 6:31 am

This hotel has a petrol station immediately adjacent, practically en suite.

The mobile signal is very strong, but the internet speed is rubbish, presumably because of all the people constantly arriving and departing with their phones.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sat May 13, 2023 2:51 pm

A petrol station next to the hotel. I’d hate that. What if someone nips out for a cigarette in the night? You could end up in an inferno.

I once stayed in a budget hotel in a part of a Latin American city dedicated to mechanics premises, weirdly interspersed with cheap bridal shops. There were old drums of oil, shreds of tyres, metal things, and bits of lace all over the streets. I tried to convince myself it was interesting, but couldn’t cope. I moved to a different part of town, forthwith, as they say in your new part of the world.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Sun May 14, 2023 9:00 am

I tried to convince myself it was interesting, but couldn’t cope

sad yes

There's also a McDonalds. From 4-7pm on Friday there were people queuing in cars to get into the drive-in. The jam stretched right back onto the main road. And the mobile data just collapsed, it was lucky I didn't have any Zoom calls because my manager cunningly avoids having any meetings Thursday and Friday so he can sneak off early for the weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Mon May 06, 2024 7:32 am

On arriving at this week's hotel I was informed that the water will be cut off for 3 hours each on Tuesday and Wednesday! I'll have to go to the restaurant toilets for a w*e.

A discount was not offered.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Mon May 06, 2024 8:12 am

I would demand a discount anyway.

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Mon May 06, 2024 3:29 pm

I would too, that’s disgraceful. I’d want a discount plus something else - spa vouchers, lunch or dinner in a restaurant in the same hospitality group. Don’t you stop until you get it.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Tue May 07, 2024 8:06 am

Now I feel bad about not demanding a discount.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue May 07, 2024 1:13 pm

You should’ve said that unless you were compensated for what you’d paid for, you wouldn’t even consider using the restaurant toilets - the front steps would be far more convenient, and you’d be telling any guests trying to enter exactly why they had found you out there.

What a nerve they have to direct you into the actual restaurant without an invitation to sit down for a free meal.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 pm

Do any NHOTWers use Airbnb properties? Although they'd cost more than a Premier Inn, i could make longer stays, and a lot of them have a washing machine too.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Tue May 07, 2024 9:08 pm

I've never used one.

I've always assumed it's a case of pot luck as to whether you get a good one or a bad one.

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue May 07, 2024 9:58 pm

Yes, they’re great.

Not so good if you live in a building with one, as I do, which makes me a raging hypocrite, but yes they’re very good.

I’m surprised you haven’t already - or bought somewhere by now.

When it comes to toilets not in operation and having to cook pasta with a kettle on the desk, it’s time to look into other options.

I mean the real pleasure of a hotel (unless there’s a pool or a spa) is bringing a random back to the room, knowing that unless you decide to keep in touch they’ll never be able to find you because you’re out of there the next day/the day after that. If you’re not doing that, there’s no point.

They wouldn’t all be more expensive than a hotel - far from it.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue May 07, 2024 10:12 pm

What is the running total spent on Premier Inns over the last couple of years? £20k? I’m quite snotty about my own surroundings, but even I could spend that instead on the refurb of a flat and be perfectly happy with the resulting new kitchen, new bathroom, new carpets, redec, etc.

You sold your place to buy another. Buy another. Commit. You can always tart it up and sell it on.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue May 07, 2024 11:46 pm

Meantime, search for men wearing wedding rings. Midweek, hotel, on business, they’re a dead cert, and likely to remove themselves happily to their own room after you’re finished with them.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Yesterday at 6:23 am

cosmictanya wrote:What is the running total spent on Premier Inns over the last couple of years? £20k?

According to my analysis spreadsheet it's just over 40k.

Though in the same 3 year period I'd have spent, don't forget, 38k on rent (in a modest Glasgow suburban place at 850pcm), utilities and council tax.

And had I spent 190k on a house, I'd have paid 5k for maintenance and 'landlord' expenses, and foregone 25k in returns on the capital I could have got by investing it.
And I'd have made a capital loss of about 50k in the market downturn, and I'd have been exposed to further losses if the neighbours went bad.

I’m surprised you haven’t already

Airbnbs are more expensive than hotels. I average £65 a night in the purple palaces (12-month average) but you're lucky to get an airbnb for less than £100 a night in this area, on a weekly basis. It is cheaper by the month, but I'm not booking a month in a place I've never stayed in before.

When I looked at Airbnb a few years ago a lot of places had extra charges for using the washing machine, etc, but none of them I looked at yesterday did.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Yesterday at 11:36 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
cosmictanya wrote:What is the running total spent on Premier Inns over the last couple of years? £20k?

According to my analysis spreadsheetH it's just over 40k.

Though in the same 3 year period I'd have spent, don't forget, 38k on rent (in a modest Glasgow suburban place at 850pcm), utilities and council tax.

And had I spent 190k on a house, I'd have paid 5k for maintenance and 'landlord' expenses, and foregone 25k in returns on the capital I could have got by investing it.
And I'd have made a capital loss of about 50k in the market downturn, and I'd have been exposed to further losses if the neighbours went bad.

I’m surprised you haven’t already

Airbnbs are more expensive than hotels. I average £65 a night in the purple palaces (12-month average) but you're lucky to get an airbnb for less than £100 a night in this area, on a weekly basis. It is cheaper by the month, but I'm not booking a month in a place I've never stayed in before.

When I looked at Airbnb a few years ago a lot of places had extra charges for using the washing machine, etc, but none of them I looked at yesterday did.

llama

If, if, if, if. You need somewhere to live. F- the investment, you need somewhere to live.

The house I was staying at in Fife is an airb&b. I had it free because it’s owned by a friend of mine and I said I’d happily stay there while work was being done. It is an expensive one, but it doesn’t charge for extras. The one on my building is also expensive purely because of the address.

I’ve stayed in them for 50 euros a night. Perfectly decent. One in Lisbon I’d have happily lived in was actually cheaper than that. I think it worked out at 44 euros a night, and was one of the best I’ve ever stayed in.

You’re making pasta on the desk with the kettle, with the toilets out of service, and everything you own in storage - you need somewhere to live.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Yesterday at 11:43 pm

£46 quid a night, staying with a fitness instructor…

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/9040330?category_tag=Tag%3A8678&enable_m3_private_room=true&photo_id=1641547117&check_in=2024-05-23&check_out=2024-05-30&source_impression_id=p3_1715208189_09p0eZbnb8KABKv4&previous_page_section_name=1000&federated_search_id=1e8eb6c8-3308-498d-994d-22401acd3ce4

He might have a decent body to enjoy, or at be least a partner to work out with for free.

My mother stays in AirB&B’s all the time, she loves them. Never encountered a bad one, and she could moan for Britain as an Olympic sport.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Yesterday at 11:55 pm

Plus all the petrol.

I get the appeal of being a digital nomad - you could be doing that anywhere. Ninety days in Italy, a few months in North Africa, a couple of months in Glasgow, a fortnight in Brighton - and all with cooking facilities.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Today at 7:27 am

I'm going to do a trial run, and if satisfactory, I'll try a patchwork hotel/AB system, the ratio to depend on what I can afford.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum