The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread.

5 posters

Page 29 of 50 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39 ... 50  Next

Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. - Page 29 Empty Re: The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:23 pm

No, it's not, killcomputer

Back to top Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. - Page 29 Empty Re: The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread.

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:24 pm

It's like Albatross meets Neil Young's Harvest Moon being sung by a drunk. scared

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:24 pm

Well, that's ruined it for me.

Colbert

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:25 pm

The album is over. Apart from the last track, that was great. The louder Ringo sang, the better it got.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:25 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:It's like Albatross meets Neil Young's Harvest Moon being sung by a drunk. scared

A Drunk, not THE drunk.

disappoint2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:25 pm

Subtlety isn't his strong suit.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Anyway, other than interloper at the end, I liked that.

dance

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:31 pm

Nightjar wrote:I don't have this LP. bawl
pet

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:31 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:Now there's a bit that sounds like Fame. gasp
The Bowie Fame. Not the Irene Cara Fame.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Bette Midler was on the album. gasp

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Tony Stark played bass guitar. gasp

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Who played drums? Bruce Wayne?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 pm

ha ha no

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:03 am

WhatDoesThisButtonDo? wrote:Anyway, other than interloper at the end, I liked that.

dance

It was sorta rubbish, but in a good way.

If I see a copy in the £1 bin, I will pick up Demon a copy. yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 am

type

type

Wackopedia wrote:
Critical reception[edit]
Professional ratings
Review scores
Source Rating
AllMusic 2/5 stars[10]
Christgau's Record Guide D[11]
Encyclopedia of Popular Music 2/5 stars[12]
The Essential Rock Discography 4/10[13]
MusicHound 2/5[14]
Rolling Stone (not rated)[15]
The Rolling Stone Album Guide 2/5 stars[16]
Journalist Peter Palmiere states in his front cover story on Starr for DISCoveries magazine in January 2003 that "The music critics and the record buying public took the album as a joke for Ringo's voice was not suitable for the disco flavored music on Ringo the 4th".[citation needed] Palmiere went on to claim that Ringo the 4th destroyed Starr's career and that he never commercially recovered from it.[citation needed]

Music webzine Drowned in Sound contributor Hayden Woolley commented in 2015 that the disco-flavored album "sees Ringo climb aboard the booty-shaking bandwagon with all the grace of a rhinoceros mounting a swan."[17] Wooley adds that Starr is no "Donna Summer" and that even though the album was a "critical and commercial disaster," it provides "an absolute treasure trove of unintentional comedy."[17] Wooley draws particular attention to "Drowning in the Sea of Love," saying it "bubbles into life with synthesised stabs and a slinky funk bassline, before Ringo falls repeatedly on his face like a drunken man trying to climb down from a trampoline."[17]

PopDose contributor David Allen Jones commented in 2017 that the album's considerable failure did not "seem to bother our boy very much — this was at the height of his LA party animal phase, and he was always seen out and about and drinking copiously and generally loving life."[18] Jones highlighted "Can She Do It Like She Dances?," calling it one of the album's better moments: "the arrangement reminds me a lot of can-can dancing or something, appropriate given the subject matter, in which Ringo drunkenly (and I do mean drunkenly) seems to slobber all over the mike as he wonders if the object of his affection can 'do it' like she dances."[18] Jones adds that Starr sounds "guttural and horny as hell."[18]

In drawing comparisons to Starr's fellow Beatles, Rhino commented that "the idea of a Beatle doing disco didn't pan out nearly as well for Ringo as it did for Paul with 'Goodnight Tonight'."[19]

killcomputer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Can we do this one next weekend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u9H_i6yjEo&list=PL3FFF5D3E469FEF87

I've not listened to it in years.

hmm There may be a good reason for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:35 pm

I have bookmarked it, in readiness.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tina Turner Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:11 pm

After five years of trying, I've finally managed to register with this forum. Now I can do what everyone wants me to do and do a running commentary on my favourite album of all time. Private Dancer. I can't wait to find out what it sounds like.

Tina Turner
Tina Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tina Turner Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:12 pm

How do I give myself karma?
Tina Turner
Tina Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tina Turner Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:12 pm

It seems to be broken.

Fix it.

Colbert
Tina Turner
Tina Turner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 50 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39 ... 50  Next