Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982)

4 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

You must enter a title for your poll.

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap0%Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap75%Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 75% 
[ 3 ]
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap0%Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 I_vote_lcap25%Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 Empty Re: Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982)

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Aargh!! it's just gone into:

My Back Pages (Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton & George Harrison)

dontpanic

Back to top Go down

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 Empty Re: Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982)

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:41 pm

It Is over.

That was a very good album and it is astonishing to think it was meant as just a demo. For me, it could have done with a couple more fast songs but it was still very much the Return of the Wayfaring Stranger of its day.

Now to look back at the thread and see what everybody else made of it. Excited

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:41 pm

I shall give it 4 stars.

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:41 pm

It is over.

Now to look back and see what everyone else thinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:44 pm

I just don't get the love for Spruce.

Countless other US (and Canadian - and British FFS) musicians have captured Americana in all of its grandiose melancholy better than him.

Then when he rocks out, it's all naff posturing.

But no, doesn't matter, he's Mr. Merca.

What's more, liberal he may be, but his music has been embraced by the worst elements of American society and I can't get my mind and soul away from that either.

I just don't get it.

I've put forward plenty of albums so far that've been very subdued, melancholy but beautifully composed and arranged, but they've been dismissed and/or belittled for being too 'laid back' or boring.

But if it's Springsteen...

Oh no, then it's classic.

Get tae ****.

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Very different to the average Bruce consipated rock,

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska (1982) - Page 6 BruceSpringsteen

and obviously much better for it. I also will go ★★★★

Even if side 2, is a bit err. dull.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Hackneyed, white person gack.

1982 as well.

Perhaps it's a case of doing a record his jaded betters were doing a decade before in contravention to the glossy production values of the burgeoning '80s that does it for the weak of mind.

The lazy nostalgics.

Anyway, doesn't matter, Springsteen can do no wrong in many people's eyes it seems.

Not mine.

A demo it was.

A few tracks too many perhaps?

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:44 pm

WhatDoesThisButtonDo? wrote:Aargh!! it's just gone into:

My Back Pages (Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton & George Harrison)

dontpanic

I love My Back Pages when it's just Bob doing it. I don't know why he let all those other deadbeats mess it up.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:19 pm

Are you going to vote then?

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:On an earlier holiday trip I was listening to Nebraska on the same journey to Banbury, and I stopped in Brackley to get petrol from the town centre, and I got totally lost trying to get back to the main road. I went round the one-way system 4 times, while Used Cars played. So I always associate it with that occasion.

I can see the disaffected youths of Brackley wandering round under the Friday night streetlights now sad yes

Ironically I just happened to have Mike Oldfield's The Watchful Eye come up on my chill-out playlist - I was also auditioning Tubular Bells 3 on that same trip above-mentioned, and TWE came up just before I got to the A5 south of Towcester, via Sheep Lane.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:46 pm

Robert Fithen of Youtube fame wrote:

A stark album that stirs real emotions in me. I'm not sure they are the intended emotions, though. This album, particularly side 1, pisses me off. Nearly every song about some violent asshole sung with a sympathetic tone. I've got absolutely no sympathy for these characters. snuggle rumpus the guy who goes on a killing spree for fun and takes the lives of ten innocent people. snuggle rumpus his aw shucks "Hey Mister" bullshit. "Hey Mister" my ass. Pull the switch and put an end this fucker. snuggle rumpus the corrupt sheriff who lets his brother get away with anything because "a man who turns his back on family ain't no good". He sounds really self-satisfied with his nonsense philosophy. How about a man who is paid to protect and serve and lets someone get away with whatever just because they popped out of the same pleasure cavern "ain't no good". If he can't handle his job, maybe get a different one. snuggle rumpus the hothead who shot the night clerk, too. I told you this album pisses me off. This might have been bold songwriting in 1982, but in 2022 I've got zero patience or compassion for narcissistic assholes. The serial killer is also glorified in the1973 movie "Badlands" if you're interested. I'm not sure if Bruce Springsteen is doing social commentary or trying to humanize these love banana characters. It sounds like the latter. The song "State Trooper" is great. At least all that guy is doing is driving with no license or registration. Side 2, thankfully, gets away from that theme. Much of the song structures are stellar. The writing is top-notch, but I'd rather hear about victim's families than pieces of backside torpedo. The "killer" songs are so enraging to me that the rest, although quite good, seems to fade into the background. I also appreciate Bruce S going way out on a limb and releasing such a quiet, acoustic album long before it was fashionable. One more thing, why is this album called "Nebraska" when nearly every song except the title track mentions a location to let you know they characters are in New Jersey? Springsteen must be pretty good to get me so riled up. I'm going to listen to some Patti LaBelle now and cool down. #brucespringsteen #acousticmusic #classicrock #vinyl #vinyllover #vinylcommunity

scared

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6