General Music News that doesn't need it's own thread

+3
Nightjar
The Call of the Wendigo
Fangirl Three
7 posters

Page 33 of 33 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33

Go down

General Music News that doesn't need it's own thread - Page 33 Empty Re: General Music News that doesn't need it's own thread

Post by cosmictanya Yesterday at 6:09 am

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff wrote:C'mon man, you can't go past a youth centre these days without hearing Wired For Sound pumping out.

You should borrow their headphones. It’s all Glenn Miller Orchestra and the Washboard Rhythm Kings.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

General Music News that doesn't need it's own thread - Page 33 Empty Re: General Music News that doesn't need it's own thread

Post by cosmictanya Yesterday at 9:10 am

cosmictanya wrote:I don’t see the big deal about his age. My great grandmother, born 1893, died 1996, used to wear what she always called ‘blue jeans’ for things like gardening. We used to wonder why she’d specify they were blue, as if it wasn’t obvious they were. I think they might’ve been Levi’s. I vaguely remember us buying her a pair in New York because she’d worn out the knee on the pair she’d been wearing.

We seem to think previous generations were much more old fashioned than they actually were. These ladies of 1890’s vintage were the ones losing their boyfriends and brothers in WWI, out clubbing in the 1920’s (a sort of free for all liberal precursor to the 1960’s before another war wiped out the progress), riding around in motor cars, and fighting for the vote. A pair of jeans was nothing to them.

I know baby boomers like to take credit for everything from the invention of sex to music, but who was it who was actually in high office or other places of power in the run up to things like the legalisation of homosexuality in the 60’s? It wasn’t teenagers, it was their parents and grandparents who rubber stamped all that - the two generations who were born from around 1890 to the mid 1920’s.

Nobody more definitive of ‘don’t sweat the small stuff’ and ‘just live your life’ than them. How could they be otherwise?

Further to this, 1920’s skirts were on and sometimes above the knee. That was the 1890-1900 born too. I can’t think they were particularly shocked when their granddaughters wore miniskirts forty years later. A pair of jeans on a man is nothing.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 33 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33