Breaking learning thread Part 2.

+3
Schlurp
Fangirl Three
Nightjar
7 posters

Page 8 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 27  Next

Go down

Breaking learning thread Part 2. - Page 8 Empty Re: Breaking learning thread Part 2.

Post by Nightjar Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:43 pm

When or where did I do that?

Back to top Go down

Breaking learning thread Part 2. - Page 8 Empty Re: Breaking learning thread Part 2.

Post by cosmictanya Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:53 pm

Nightjar wrote:When or where did I do that?

Here. A few weeks ago. Complete with the various common spellings for added measure. I was surprised but, wary of the Streisand effect, chose not to make a song and dance about it. I'd still rather not, but this is accessible to the public. I've never used his name online. I've referred to his school, but there are thousands of kids there at several sites. With the name on top plus his age, that narrows him down considerably, should anyone be so minded. There are tonnes of freaks online. He's a child.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:01 pm

I don't particularly mind being mocked as a joke, but I mind that. And I'm pretty tired of being told I have no idea about what art I like, no idea about what music I like, that everything from my holiday destinations to my jewellery choices are tacky gacky trash, that I don't care about people living in Tottenham (it was a joke - so it wasn't funny, shoot me), that a post of mine should be countered with lectures about the evil of Billy Joel, and even allusions to my having a lower degree classification than I do, etc. Basisally that I've no taste, no intelligence, no humour, no morality, no responsibility, no humanity, no problems in life. I don't put you down like that.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:30 pm

gasp

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:13 am

Interesting. I've read 2 biographies of ACD and the Sheffield connection had escaped me.

I'm trying to think of Sheffield references in Sherlock Holmes. I think the closest approach is the trip to 'Mackleton' in north Yorkshire in The Priory School.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:45 pm

Nike Read did a VoiceOver for a Frankie TV advert, gasp

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 pm

Why Does Europe Have Zero Euro Banknotes?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:58 pm

^^

Bit tatty innit? Like 1 step up from

Breaking learning thread Part 2. - Page 8 Only-Fools-Horses-Design-6x-Play-Novelty-Bank

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:39 am

All Euro money looks like toy money. I want my Deutschmarks and Franks. Colbert
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:28 am

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:03 pm

The town of Ilkley and the remote Ilkley Moor (baht 'at) are in the twelve-miles-away "City of Bradford". cringe

Who draws these boundaries?!
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:11 pm

Scenes from the "City of Bradford".

Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:41 pm

Yes, and? Welcome to London...

Breaking learning thread Part 2. - Page 8 Loughton-Broxbourne.00_10_10_01.Still002

Not some formerly known as part of a long lost county, but the actual London 'postal town'.

Anyway, drawing lines on maps regardless of what people living there feel is a traditional British value. The various Yorkshire's are still Yorkshire, so whatever really, they got off lightly.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:52 pm

Where in "London" is that? I'm guessing it can't be too far from sprawl, or too far from the very edge of Greater London. I bet the locals like to think of themselves as Surrey, or Kent or whatever home county it once was.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:02 pm

I bet they don't, hence my choice of it to demonstrate my point. That is London E4. Not London in quotation marks, but actual London Town. Administratively, it still is partly Essex, but no, they don't write Essex E4 on their addresses, because it is and always has been within the London postal town. There is no such place as Essex E4.

This on the other hand, is London in quotation marks, but is probably nobody's idea of Surrey, despite what some twee snob who thinks it should be forever 1952 might try to convince themselves...

Breaking learning thread Part 2. - Page 8 2663843_833102ef
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:15 pm

Would you accept Stratford as London? Administratively, it wasn't until 1965, although it always fell within the E post code area. What about Tottenham? Definitely London? It wasn't part of the county of London either, despite being N for North London.

These people who insist on a pre Greater London state of affairs have simply picked that date as the day some modernist Whitehall mandarin wrenched away their identity, forgetting that borders have always changed, that what was outside the county of London sometimes had London postal sectors, that most of it was already within the Met police zone, etc, etc.

What about Kensington, or Westminster? Are they London? In the lifetimes of our great grandparents, they were technically outside London, very much within Middlesex. Is Brixton Surrey? It was. The only reason it isn't now is because people moved on and accepted the new line on the updated map.

To go through family records, as I've done, right up to the final handful of years of the Victorian era, things are recorded as 'Holborn, Middlesex', 'Brompton, Middlesex', 'Westminster, Middlesex' and 'Southwark, Surrey'. Others, born or living or married or dying within the formal city of London, are the only ones with records simply listed as London.

Those people, some of them, were alive at the same time as I was, despite the boundaries seeming to place them in now mythical places. One of my great grandmothers was from Bermondsey (Surrey until the close of the 19th c), and was like the quintessential working class Londoner of a bygone era. Another was born in 'Bombay, British India' - no longer on the map in either case.

Last edited by cosmictanya on Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:19 pm

Sherburn in Elmet is 20km from Leeds Town Hall but is still listed as being in Leeds. Colbert

Breaking learning thread Part 2. - Page 8 Xbqgu7o

Sheffield would have a population the size of Tokyo if its boundaries were worked out the same way. Colbert

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:22 pm

cosmictanya wrote:I bet they don't, hence my choice of it to demonstrate my point. That is London E4. Not London in quotation marks, but actual London Town. Administratively, it still is partly Essex, but no, they don't write Essex E4 on their addresses, because it is and always has been within the London postal town. There is no such place as Essex E4.

This on the other hand, is London in quotation marks, but is probably nobody's idea of Surrey, despite what some twee snob who thinks it should be forever 1952 might try to convince themselves...

Breaking learning thread Part 2. - Page 8 2663843_833102ef

So those hills aren't actually in the official Greater London, but Essex? I don't include modern postal towns, postcodes or telephone numbers. Dudley's name stretches out into rural South Staffordshire and its postcode into Shropshire - but those areas are definitely not Dudley. It's just a name the locals were lumped with for mere easy postal reasons.

I know people identify with different things and Londoners especially do things a bit differently so if people want to believe it's London or Essex it's up to them.

Last edited by Butterfield on Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:29 pm

cosmictanya wrote:Would you accept Stratford as London? Administratively, it wasn't until 1965, although it always fell within the E post code area. What about Tottenham? Definitely London? It wasn't part of the county of London either, despite being N for North London. These people who insist on a pre Greater London state of affairs have simply picked that date as the day some modernist Whitehall mandarin wrenched away their identity, forgetting that borders have always changed, that what was outside the county of London sometimes had London postal sectors, that most of it was already within the Met police zone, etc, etc.

What about Kensington, or Westminster? Are they London? In the lifetimes of our great grandparents, they were technically outside London, very much within Middlesex. Is Brixton Surrey? It was. The only reason it isn't now is because people moved on and accepted the new line on the updated map.

I do think of those as being in London, and they are officially. But I tend to naively class anything within the M25 as "London" - as it's just easy and I don't know the specific boundaries without looking. I personally think London is far too big and if I had it my way I wouldn't include places like Croydon and Kingston Upon Thames, but that's just me. I think of those as separate towns, like Sutton Coldfield to Birmingham.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:30 pm

The Call of the Wendigo wrote:Sherburn in Elmet is 20km from Leeds Town Hall but is still listed as being in Leeds. Colbert

Breaking learning thread Part 2. - Page 8 Xbqgu7o

Sheffield would have a population the size of Tokyo if its boundaries were worked out the same way. Colbert

Don't start me on Wetherby being part of the "City of Leeds" either. oh no
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 27  Next