The gentle telly appreciation thread

+3
cosmictanya
The Call of the Wendigo
Nightjar
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The gentle telly appreciation thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The gentle telly appreciation thread

Post by Butterfield Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:26 am

I used to occasionally watch Fifteen to One after school, even though it wasn't exactly made for children and was quite.... sedate. I sort of liked how it worked though.

"Question or nominate"?
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

The gentle telly appreciation thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The gentle telly appreciation thread

Post by cosmictanya Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:53 pm

Sedate and not for children is what I liked about it.

I see all this sh*t on gogglebox - people jumping over cubes and whatever else, doors unlocking, guessing and screaming at each other, audiences clapping, and it turns my stomach.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:21 pm

Presented by William G. Stewart, who used to correct the contestants even when they'd got the question correct.

Also:

Among the many shows he produced or directed were Father, Dear Father, Love Thy Neighbour, Bless This House, My Good Woman, Spooner's Patch, The Rag Trade, Family Fortunes, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and The Price Is Right.

Love Thy Neighbour. shifty

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:22 pm

I always thought he came over as a bit of a c**t.

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:23 pm

He was married to Sally Geeson. gasp

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:23 pm

Anyone who was married to cast member of Carry On Abroad is OK in my book.

I take it all back.

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:29 pm

I wonder if he ever got confused about whether he was married to Sally Geeson or Judy Geeson? I always get them mixed up.

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:49 pm

It's easy to remember.

Judy is much more attractive than her sister. sad yes

See also, The Cheeky Girls...

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:51 pm

Also, she was in more and better films.

Apart from Carry On Abroad.

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:59 pm

Nightjar wrote:Also, she was in more and better films.

The gentle telly appreciation thread - Page 3 InseminoidPoster

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:05 pm

type

Sly

type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AheqsDrKwE&list=PLV4Ztn9euy7TlVONZQB7GJV184QJEztc9

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:06 pm

Yes, that also.

However, she was also in Carry On England. What a Face

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Nightjar wrote:Presented by William G. Stewart, who used to correct the contestants even when they'd got the question correct.

Also:

Among the many shows he produced or directed were Father, Dear Father, Love Thy Neighbour, Bless This House, My Good Woman, Spooner's Patch, The Rag Trade, Family Fortunes, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and The Price Is Right.

Love Thy Neighbour. shifty

During my reaction video-watching a few months ago, I had a video suggested to me of a black American guy watching Love Thy Neighbour. I dared to click on it. I ended up watching two or three episodes.

I'd never seen it before other than the very small handful of clips they've ever shown on compilation programmes on the likes of Channel 5. He seemed to enjoy it, and I laughed a few times. It does seem the white man gets his comeuppance in each episode, and is portrayed as a pretty awful man overall, and the black couple as nice people.

Of course, the language was somewhat out of date to say the least, but the theme would almost work in today's world. With a content and context warning, naturally. blah blah
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:19 am

WGS was producer of Bless This House too. One of the Sid James documentaries has an interview with him describing Sid's gambling, how he'd always be muttering things like 'cross double' into phones, and how he, WGS, was once dispatched to the bookie's to settle Sid's debt with a big bag of cash.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:47 am

I don’t know who any of these people are, or what these programmes and films are. Except DFYT, which I enjoyed. And Family Fortunes, which I watched an episode of once when I stayed at the house of a friend whose family loved it - I was amazed by how they took part and seemed to be having so much fun. I felt as if in a zoo watching a troupe of exotics.

It was boring, disconcerting, and we are no longer friends. As a for instance, I’m sure it was something like ‘what do you think the public thought when we said X?’ and they’d have to guess associated words the public had said. What an absolute load of agonising old sh*t. I could feel my brain dying. I had never seen anything like it and hope I never do again.

I’m fairly sure the prize was nothing like a fortune but can’t exactly remember. Channel 3 filth.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:42 am

I’m half way through my annual House of Elliot rewatch. Signs on the racetrack imploring ‘Remember to LUBRICATE’ made me laugh. A cheeky detail that I’ve never noticed.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:44 am

House of Eliott was proper early 90s Sunday night TV. My mum and sister liked it.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:25 am

I always assumed one of them was Sophie Aldred, and was surprised when it turned out not to be her.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:56 am

Yes, Sunday night, that’s right.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3