The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 2!

4 posters

Page 32 of 50 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41 ... 50  Next

Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 2! - Page 32 Empty Re: The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 2!

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Shame about the cultural appropriation, and the fade out rather than actually writing a end of the song, that was the best one yet.

Back to top Go down

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 2! - Page 32 Empty Re: The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 2!

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm

State of the art keyboards (in 1979), attempt at falsetto vocals, possibly.

Sounds like a punk Barry White.

Horns. strange disco bass line.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:29 pm

I bet this is jamiroquai's favourite Wing's song.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Downwards keychange, and it's ova.

ha ha no

Right, I'm going to have a shower before I attempt side 2. See if I can wash off that disco

Back soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm back!

Over Easy side:

The album running-commentary and general listening discussion thread. Part 2! - Page 32 R-1361157-1409391665-1393.jpeg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Rockestra Theme. Nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:50 pm

To You.

I bet Tom Robinson liked this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 pm

I think I've still got some water in my ears...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Strange keyboards trying to liven up a rather lightweight song.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:54 pm

After the Ball.

Sounds like 70s Queen after they'd gone off a bit. Only not as good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:58 pm

You could image a Brian May guitar orchestra on that bit, which is sorta what we got, but no errr. quite.

Fretless bass.

Million Miles.

Sorry what was that?

It's like he can't finish a song, so we get the half he has done on his homework.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm getting similar vibes on Winter Rose/Love Awake.

Probably a mistake to put the 2 half songs combos next to each other.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:07 pm

The Broadcast.

Going for the Roger Waters talking bits on records.

"Rather inferior."

This could work, but not just slapped onto a record halfway through the second side. dunno

Rockestra's back! Excited

This sort of thing never works. sad yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Baby's Request.

I'm losing the will to live…

Hang on, nice keyboard sound. music

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:09 pm

Well, it's almost over.

I prefered Side 1 to side 2, Old Siam, Sir was the best one,

type

And it was the single, doesn't he usually get that wrong and puts out the wrong singles?

I also preferred Wild Life.

Colbert

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:11 pm

I can't remember Venus and Mars well enough to say, but I preferred the couple of experimental tracks on Press to Play more, but it was much, much better than Wings at the Speed of Sound. :shudder:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:12 pm

Now to look back and see what everyone else made of it…

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:16 pm

Let's see how the Steve Hoffman forum ranks the Wings albums. Excited

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rate-the-albums-from-wings.307151/

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Back to the Egg was the final Wings album, revealing now more than ever that both Paul and John Lennon were incomplete without each other. Nevertheless, Paul’s fashioned yet another in his continuing saga of catchy little albums filled with catchy little melodies that are rather sparse on narratives, relying on is worn though all be it infectious pop franchi$e.

So here I stand with the final and very unsatisfying Wings album, an album that I can only describe as malingering and slightly irritating, laced with rather uninspired melodies and slickly inspired half-assed arrangements. Back to the Egg does not contain one cut that sounds considered or fleshed out, though all are filled with disjointed imagery, creating an unfocused musical snapshot … though of what, I have absolutely no idea. Despite have some really big names sit in on this adventure, the likes of John Bonham, Pete Townshend and David Gilmore, Wings are on a runaway train to oblivion, leaving listeners with a goodnight kiss they won’t even remember in the morning. Though others have said as much with fewer words:

This album is nothing more than a slipshod demo by an aimless band. If it had arrived unsolicited in the offices of Columbia, it would have been returned in the next mail with a terse “No thank you.”

I can think of few other prominent rock musicians who’d have signed their names to this kind of drivel. McCartney’s gross indulgence is matched only by his shameless indolence, and ‘Back to the Egg’ represents the public disintegration of a consistently disappointing talent.

Paul McCartney (how does this man sleep?) has been plagiarizing his own material for years now, and he’s finally run out of recycled ideas. With a few key word changes, the lyrics that began this piece could end it on an appropriately grim autobiographical note.
Where have you gone, Emmitt Rhodes? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Attempting to incorporate and influence this record with contemporary sounds such as R&B and jazz, mixed with a slight ting of harder rock, is a deeply flawed album that ascends even more dramatically with the addition of power pop and new wave, which only shows how out of step McCartney was with the times in his attempt to secure a foothold and falling headlong to the floor. Better that he stay with what he knew best, and done that more proficiently, than to have attempted to become something he wasn’t.

There’s noting on this album that hasn’t been compromised or sold out, this was Paul’s last ditch effort to regroup with his new label, where he not only let them down, but his fans as well. To me, the album artwork says it all, an image of Wings lost in space with no hope of ever returning.

*** The Fun Facts: The design for the album's artwork was by Hipgnosis, (of Beatles fame) the company responsible for previous Wings album covers such as Venus and Mars and the recent Wings Greatest compilation. The front cover depicts the five members of Wings in a room looking down through space at planet Earth through an open hatchway in the floor. The picture was taken by photographer John Shaw at his London studio. Photos of the individual band members appeared on the back cover, credited to both Linda and Paul McCartney.

Review by Jenell Kesler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Hipgnosis, (of Beatles fame)

Lolwut?

The Hoffers seem to be down with Band on the Run. Maybe I should pickup a copy the next time I'm in the record for a £1 bins. yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 50 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41 ... 50  Next