+4
Fangirl Three
Butterfield
The Call of the Wendigo
Nightjar
8 posters

Page 26 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26

Go down

Olden day good times! - Page 26 Empty Re: Olden day good times!

Post by cosmictanya Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:05 pm

I can genuinely say nobody looked or dressed like that group when I was a teenager in the same decade. The pie faced frau second from the front right looks more like she’d have already been a 30 year old mother of four, working in a bakery, by the 1990’s.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:07 pm

Nightjar wrote:I don't reckon it moved. Colbert

I bet it did. Downwards. In one piece until it hit the ground.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:17 pm

edited 8 times in total

That's some well-considered posting.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:57 pm

Fangirl Three wrote:
edited 8 times in total

That's some well-considered posting.

I was intensely annoyed by the false representation of an entire generation.

The one crouching on the left is cute.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:59 pm

Perhaps I missed out the word "some" or "many". I certainly remember people looking like that; I'd say very much the earlier part of the 90s though.

It wasn't meant to be taken so seriously, just a light personal observation. shifty
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:04 pm

It's too late for sheepish contextualisations now. sad yes

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:07 pm

I’ve given a light personal observation too. Had my class been on a field trip to the same part of the OS map, the one crouching on the left wouldn’t have returned home virgo intacto unless he wanted to. He has an elegance of form, and is the best dressed of the boys. The blondie next to him probably made him feel like the playing field wasn’t level. I’d have shown him it was in his favour. Turning down the entitled was always such a joy of being late teens /early 20’s.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:16 pm

Butterfield wrote:Perhaps I missed out the word "some" or "many". I certainly remember people looking like that; I'd say very much the earlier part of the 90s though.

It wasn't meant to be taken so seriously, just a light personal observation. shifty

No, not then either, by the way. That was white jeans and conversely, grunge. Again, just not either look on geography field trips to the countryside. If you’d said ‘some’, maybe, there have always been poor souls. ‘Many’ would still have been inaccurate, unless Wolverhampton is actually in post Soviet collapse Russia. Then you could say that ‘many’ young people looked like that in 1993. Teenage girls now wearing false eyelashes are only wearing something their grandmothers and even great grandmothers wore rather than some wildly new fangled invention.

My brother is of 1979 vintage, and couldn’t have been paid to wear the novelty jumper the moody class hunk has on.

This slander of a whole generation, based on a group of what are mainly hicks taking a break from collecting soil samples, cannot stand.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:39 pm

I'm not going to debate with you, you're from a very different part of the country to mine.

Those are exactly how I remember many people looking around that time and I absolutely stand by that. I have school photos and family photos deep in my collection of people looking exactly like that. I like the ordinary, bland look, the lack of pretentiousness. Some people could probably learn from that today.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:41 pm

I don’t believe you.

Lack of pretension worn on your sleeve is pretension btw, possibly the greatest form there is.

I don’t see how you can detect blandness from that actually. I see a moody sunbed user and someone too cool to even face the camera for a group photo. So far, so typically teenage.

I’m not looking to debate because there’s nothing to debate.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:47 pm

You don't believe my own personal observations? You often take a whole story from one photo! We've all heard them. Some are funny, others are not. I don't want to be nasty but you're being a little hypocritical. And as they say these days, please respect my lived experiences, as I will yours. wink
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:01 pm

Butterfield wrote:You don't believe my own personal observations? You often take a whole story from one photo! We've all heard them. Some are funny, others are not. I don't want to be nasty but you're being a little hypocritical. And as they say these days, please respect my lived experiences, as I will yours. wink

But.

You’ve disrespected mine. I haven’t been hypocritical. Irritating maybe, but not hypocritical. You’ve taken a lighthearted observation and turned it into a moral high ground about how you lack pretentiousness*, how I ought to learn from your self declared salt of the earthiness, but can’t because I’m not from somewhere where the qualities you admire live. What’s that of not personally offensive and a bit nasty.

I did say it partly lightheartedly - but actually in seriousness I am fed up of people attacking younger people or ‘kids these days’, especially based on nonsense. Honestly, they get bloody well enough of it without people only in their 40’s slagging them off on the lines of ‘in my day we didn’t have fake tan and we all looked so normal’. We did have fake tan, and most kids these days look perfectly lovely and very normal.

I think they’re constantly badmouthed, unnecessarily, lazily, inaccurately. It’s just dreadful.

On the whole they’re rather nice, pleasant, live and let live - even the tattooed ones. They do have challenges we didn’t have - the online far right stuff for instance - but most of them cope with it admirably, fielding pressures we don’t even understand properly. And all they get is put downs, and middle aged guys taking cheap shots at their make up as if nobody in the 90’s ever p*ssed about with hair streaks and glitter.

*Being down to earth, to coin a phrase, is like being a lady. If you have to say it, you aren’t.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Aug 01, 2024 3:55 pm

I can tell by your lengthy replies that I've hit a raw nerve. I'm not really sure why as it was a just a personally observational post meant with no maliciousness, I wasn't necessarily expecting any replies and I wasn't even necessarily directly referring to you in my replies, but if you want to think I was that's up to you.

Once again, we regularly hear all about your own detailed personal observations, some criticising how people look or act, and many will be offensive to some and make you look condescending. There are things I disagree with or things I don't like but I'm rarely genuinely offended and couldn't really care less. You do your things your way, I do mine my way. It works most of the time.

I'll be honest, I'm not keen on the fakery of *some* young people; the lip-filled pouting, the sleeve tattoos, the gym photos etc. I do prefer modesty in people on the whole. That's just me. I'm quite humble. Of course, they, and you, will tell me I'm just boring and old fashioned but I actually genuinely worry about young people thinking they have to modify their bodies to feel good about themselves, when they evidently still won't. I know this from my own family members and descendants of friends of the family. Yes, that was around to a degree when we were younger but not quite like it is now. So sue me for thinking this! If that's priggish or a bit Mary Whitehouse, I don't really care. I've got opinions, and sometimes you'll hear them, sometimes I'll keep them to myself. That's forums for you!
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:15 pm

cosmictanya wrote:
My brother is of 1979 vintage, and couldn’t have been paid to wear the novelty jumper the moody class hunk has on.

I had a jumper very like that one in 1990.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:31 pm

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:43 pm

Olden day good times! - Page 26 U14y8w6

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:06 pm

Custom paint job by The Fool?

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26