Butterfield
flibbington2.0
The Call of the Wendigo
Nik
Fangirl Three
9 posters

Page 32 of 38 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38  Next

Go down

The all-new all things driving thread - Page 32 Empty Re: The all-new all things driving thread

Post by Fangirl Three Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:41 pm

On the M80 this morning there were 'grey-out' conditions. Grey sky, grey rain, grey spray, grey road, I could hardly see which way was up.

http://shallowlikeus.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

The all-new all things driving thread - Page 32 Empty Re: The all-new all things driving thread

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:18 pm

Admin

https://hallofthewendigo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:55 pm

Gosh, it was awful coming over Shap today, the clouds were right down to the road and it was p-p-p-pouring down :shorthouse: , spray everywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:53 pm

hug

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:57 pm

I'm sure I came over Shap one time and it was blizzarding heavily but then descended into sunshine. Or was it terrifyingly dense and dangerous fog?
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:13 pm

Yesterday - having to drive from Bolton to Essex - I decided to avoid the M62 and the M6 by taking the M60 round to Stockport, then down to Macclesfield and Buxton and Chesterfield. Three places which are isolated from the UK's dual carriageway network.

It was very scenic. There were great views back over Manchester as I ascended the Cat and Fiddle route, and a fine descent out of Buxton with a river alongside the road. But it took aaaages, I was proper fed up by the time I finally made it to the A617. And even there there was some idiot going 60 in the right-hand lane with his indicator going, three miles before the roundabout at which he intended to turn right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:24 pm

In retrospect I should have come off the M60 at Cheadle, then taken the A34 to Congleton and then got onto the A500 at Stoke, and then taken the A50.

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:09 pm

The all-new all things driving thread - Page 32 39698510

lol, New Worlders.

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:46 pm

On a lomg journey I do tend to revert to the 7.25/5.35 position.

And I'm not going to be told that's wrong by some young whippersnapper who doesn't even kniw about engine braking.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:11 am

I like the top left position, especially if I’m wearing diamonds on a sunny day (I only ever wear jewellery on my left hand/wrist). That way I can watch them catch the light.

I’m sorry to see the best position of all - right arm trailing out of the window - isn’t included in any of the diagrams.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfield Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:20 am

This is as complicated as it looks. The meeting of literally one million A-roads, plus slip roads to the M6 Toll and roads to various retail and trading estates.

I once had to turn right at each of the lower three roundabouts-with-traffic lights coming from the A460 on the left and really hadn't got a clue where I was going - even with the satnav on. I and others were all over the lanes as disorientation and my mental dyslexia kicked in.

Surely there's a better way than this! Like just turn each roundabout into simple cross roads with traffic lights like in America?

I have to tackle it again tomorrow (Saturday), but this time only need to stick to the A460 heading northeastward so just need to stay in the middle lane to go straight over.
Butterfield
Butterfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:02 am

I remember carefully drawing a diagram of that interchange when I was mulling over the idea of an A5-based Birmingham avoidance route. I'd be terrified though of accidentally driving onto the M6 Toll and being charged a billion pounds.

Back to top Go down

Post by SiberianPrincess’sMidriff Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:18 am

Forgot to mention, I had a FG3 style unable to park near my house when I got home at 11:30pm I had to drive around the block till I managed to squeeze in between a parked car and the empty disabled parking spot. On the main road which I don't want to park on just in case someone drives into it.

:grrr:

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:19 am

Butterfield wrote:This is as complicated as it looks. The meeting of literally one million A-roads, plus slip roads to the M6 Toll and roads to various retail and trading estates.

I once had to turn right at each of the lower three roundabouts-with-traffic lights coming from the A460 on the left and really hadn't got a clue where I was going - even with the satnav on. I and others were all over the lanes as disorientation and my mental dyslexia kicked in.

Surely there's a better way than this! Like just turn each roundabout into simple cross roads with traffic lights like in America?

I have to tackle it again tomorrow (Saturday), but this time only need to stick to the A460 heading northeastward so just need to stay in the middle lane to go straight over.
Watling Street! happy

Last edited by The Call of the Wendigo on Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:20 am

How ironic that a Roman road is next to the bendiest, windiest, curviest road system ever.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Call of the Wendigo Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:22 am

SiberianPrincess’sMidriff wrote:Forgot to mention, I had a FG3 style unable to park near my house when I got home at 11:30pm I had to drive around the block till I managed to squeeze in between a parked car and the empty disabled parking spot. On the main road which I don't want to park on just in case someone drives into it.

:grrr:
pet

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:58 am

I noticed Watling Street. You can see where it picks up again on the other side of the mess. How sad that ‘Cannock Gateway Retail Park’ interrupted it after 2000 years. That Premier Inn must be particularly grim. Not much of a local neighbourhood.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangirl Three Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:04 am

cosmictanya wrote:That Premier Inn must be particularly grim. Not much of a local neighbourhood.

The car park's a bit small for me to risk it. Good walking access to Sainsburys though, with crossings actually placed helpfully.

Sometimes I stay at the Nerston Toll Premier Inn in East Kilbride, which is 600m as the crow flies from a big Sainsburys, but the walking distance is 1500m because the crossings are so unhelpfully placed.

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmictanya Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:38 pm

Oh I couldn’t be doing with supermarkets if I’m staying in a hotel. Hotels are a perfect excuse to eat out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and to spend evenings/nights in bars. I find walking into a supermarket to be a soul crushing experience, so when it’s not essential I just don’t.

I do have memories of enjoying supermarkets, when I fitted inside a shopping trolley and could order the adult pushing it to take me here and there, pausing and moving on at leisure, or people watching. Since I’ve had to walk round them, I’ve found no pleasure in being in any of them.

Places of despair.

Up and down, up and down, bad lighting, trash that people actually buy piled high, unwelcome temperature changes from aisle to aisle, nobody making any human contact with anybody else, Bending down low, reaching up high, up and down, up and down. The awful car parks.

They make me feel like a robot. One that’s been put to work in a factory.
cosmictanya
cosmictanya

Back to top Go down

Post by Zarniwoop Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:41 pm

I have been driving an automatic all week, back in a manual I stalled it 3 times driving the 3 miles home from work today....Arghhhh.
Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 38 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38  Next